A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:13 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You go Blake!  (Read 20965 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: May 09, 2011, 06:45:18 am »

Best wishes in the election.  You have proven that you know how to take ideas and execute them!
That's what is needed downtown.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:21:22 am »

I'm in.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:23:33 am »

What did I miss?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:32:08 am »

City Council D4
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:49:17 am »

City Council D4

Conan, aren't you in D4?  Good for Blake; saw the posting on his FB page and he has a FB page now dedicated specifically to his campaign.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:58:23 am »

I don't spend a lot of time on-line over the weekends, so no wonder I missed it.

Yep, I'm D-4.  I would tend to vote for him over Maria Barnes, but I'd like to see who else enters and learn more about Blake's vision for the whole district.  If I like what I hear, believe he's sincere, and capable of staying out of the gutter politics which has come to typify our city government, he will have a hard time finding a bigger supporter than me.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:25:45 am »

That job changes people.  I seem to recall a Renaissance Neighborhood leader I thought would change things for the better, and he had visions for downtown.  But it was just downtown, and he ended up being pals with the billboard industry, so we were disappointed in the end. 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:36:05 am »

D4 resident here.  He has my vote.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:31:37 pm »

Does anyone have a good map of the districts?  I live nearish to Conan, so assume I'm in D4, too . . . but I can't be sure.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »

Does anyone have a good map of the districts?  I live nearish to Conan, so assume I'm in D4, too . . . but I can't be sure.

Also, you can plug your address into the following and find out what your district is.

http://www.tulsacouncil.org/district-finder/map.aspx

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »

Very nice.  Thanks!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:45:13 pm »

District 4 is one of the most important council district as it includes downtown, urban neighborhoods adjacent to downtown, and TU.  It needs positive leadership that Blake will bring to the table.  It also has the most redevelopment potential of all the districts.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 12:46:55 pm »

Stalker  Wink

Patric's comment about a certain former D-4 councilor brought question just came to mind.  I've become friends with that councilor, but I'd really have to think long and hard before I'd vote for them again.  Blake has done a great job so far down in the Blue Dome and he appears to have a great vision for downtown, more specifically the Blue Dome.

Playing total devil's advocate here, as I have no idea how I'll vote at this point, I simply wanted to open this to discussion.  Is it a good idea to elect a councilor who has business interests within the district which could end up benefitting from his influence on the council, as far as zoning or development issues.

I know other candidates have been criticized for being part of the development cabal or having narrow interests or being the chosen candidate of money'd Tulsa.  The criticism of the last two D-4 councilors has been one of them was too downtown-centric and the other ignores downtown.

As well, do you choose a councilor who has a lot of irons in the fire right now and simply hope he or she has enough time to take on the hassle of being a councilor?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Blake at all, I like the idea of his candidacy but I think there really needs to be discussion in every district and in the mayoral administration as to what kind of candidate is truly the best to move forward and get Tulsa back on track again without all the political infighting and self-serving actions of our governmental body.

So far as I can tell, I can't tell Maria has done a whole lot this time around.  She's curiously silent and when she does speak, I gather she's either not up on the issues or simply not all that bright to begin with.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 02:03:12 pm »

I think the more business interests the better.  A counselor should represent the economic development of her/his district.  I would never elect a counselor who did not OWN businesses in his district. 

He/She should be someone who has had to deal with the good, bad, and absent in their district.  People who own businesses have to fight every step of the way to make their dreams reality.  They are the EXACT people who should be advocates for their community.

I suppose you could elect a member of the moocher class, but you would probably just get more services and less economic growth and opportunity.  Guess it really boils down to what you're going for.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 02:05:25 pm »

I will volunteer and/or donate, as I have said I would, but I'm 2 blocks outside of the district so I can't vote for the man without fraud...  :l

Unqualified support from me.

Oh, and checckout the website!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org