What do you remember?

<< < (8/80) > >>

tulsa1603:
quote:Originally posted by Porky

quote:Originally posted by TulsaTV

LOL Thank you for the memories of Judy B........[}:)]

Back in the early 70's while sewing my oats, that place took a huge hunk out of my pay check. As "My Other Place" and "Temperature Rising".

I use to live next to a guy that was a disc jockey for KELI during those days, his name was Mark Dempsey. He use to get me tickets back stage to all of the concerts. What pleasant memories though's were.....Humble Pie, Kiss, Black Oak Arkansas and the list goes on.

My greatest memories of that time was a place called the Nine Of Cups. I only lived a block away from there and use to tell people that my neighbors were Jim Jones and Leon Russel. ( Well, thy did live within blocks of me LOL)
Bonnie Raitt showed up there after one of her concerts and that had to be one of the wildest evenings in my life I have ever seen.[8D]

That is hilarious.  A guy I work with is always tellign Judy Booger jokes - particularly one involving a cigarette.  I thought he was making it all up, but if you guys can remember her after all these years, it must be true!

billintulsa:
. . . And on a somewhat related topic, how many other people can remember RIDESHY?  (And if you can remember it - - - shame on you!!)

TulsaTV:
RIDESHY:

http://tulsaTVmemories.com/mayrooms.html

Hometown:
quote:Originally posted by billintulsa

There is one fast food restaraunt I recall.  It was on 11th street just west of Lewis as best I can remember.  It was in the shape of a Stagecoach.  Does anyone remember what it was called?

Chuck Wagon
Here's more for the list:
Pink Barn
Taj Mahal (bar)
Taj Mahal (entertainer from Oklahoma)
Globe Clothiers (downtown)
Living Arts (warehouse full of artist studios)
Jim Dandy to the Rescue
Orbachs
Psychologist twins on Generation Rap
Driving to West Tulsa for a Lottaburger
The amusement park at Skiatook Lake and the big rickety roller coaster
Dance Party
Mezzepa (spelling)
The Hogues – family of artists
Lewis Meyer (spelling) Bookshelf
Tan high water pants, madras shirts and cloth bomber jackets
Black Gold Ice Cream (vanilla with walnuts)
Betty Boyd

Steve:
quote:Originally posted by Hometown
Here's more for the list:
Pink Barn
Taj Mahal (bar)
Taj Mahal (entertainer from Oklahoma)
Globe Clothiers (downtown)
Living Arts (warehouse full of artist studios)
Jim Dandy to the Rescue
Orbachs
Psychologist twins on Generation Rap
Driving to West Tulsa for a Lottaburger
The amusement park at Skiatook Lake and the big rickety roller coaster
Dance Party
Mezzepa (spelling)
The Hogues – family of artists
Lewis Meyer (spelling) Bookshelf
Tan high water pants, madras shirts and cloth boomer jackets
Black Gold Ice Cream (vanilla with walnuts)
Betty Boyd

Pink Barn on Memorial.  Skilly's was their main competition.  The kids from Hale/Rogers/East Central went to Pink Barn; the kids from Edison/Memorial went to Skilly's.  I went to Hale (class of '75) so I went to Pink Barn.

Tan high water pants:  Tuf Nut "wheat" jeans, advertised by John Chick on TV.  Get yours at Frougs department stores today!

I grew up in the area around 21st & Sheridan:  The Shopper's Fair store, IGA grocery (Casa Bonita site), Happy House card shop, Walgreens 5 and Dime, Gulf Mart discount center, TG&Y in Bowman Acres, Boots Drive-In, Gibson's Discount on Sheridan, Burger Chef, Mr. Swiss.  There was a DX station on the NW corner (Burger King today), a Mobil on the SW corner (McDonalds today), Gulf Mart Gas on the NE corner, and Texaco on the SE corner.  They would get into "gas wars" quite often in the mid-late '60s and I remember gas at 18-19 cents/gallon during these price wars.

Oertles department store on Memorial, across the street from the MA-HU mansion.  Woolco, Looboyles, and Vandevers in Southroads Mall; Frougs, Brown Dunkin, and Clarkes Good Clothes in Southland.  Harringtons downtown was the place to buy your scout uniforms & equipment.

Tulsa's great long gone movie theaters: Ritz, Orpheum, Rialto, Majestic.  The Boman Twin was nice when it first opened, Tulsa's first multi-screen indoor theater.  The Boman had 70MM projectors and six channel stereo sound.  I saw "Earthquake" there on opening night in 1974 and they had the "sensurround" subwoofers turned up so loud during the earthquake sequences that several people in the audience actually threw up from the vibrations!  The Continental on Memorial Drive: I saw Funny Girl there in '68 and it was what they used to call a "road show" presentation: all tickets were advance sales, reserved seats.  They had printed program booklets telling about the movie and the stars  (I still have mine stashed away somewhere) and overture, intermission, and exit music. Just like a live performance.  The lights would dim, the giant curtains would rise.  We wore sport coats and neckties!  (People used to dress for things back then!)  Those were the days of "showmanship" at movie theaters, something we probably will never see again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page