A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:37:42 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albert G's BBQ  (Read 4598 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:03 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed:
Date/Time of Visit:
Quality of Food (1-5): 2
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 3
Quality of Service (1-5): 4
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 3
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$$
What makes this restaurant unique: Family owned. Hard to get in/out of for a non-urban location. Poor internal traffic flow.

Tell us about your experience: Meat was bland, and kinda dry. Seemed more like a roast out of a crock pot than BBQ brisket. BBQ Sauce was basically tangy ketchup. Hot BBQ sauce was almost passable. Bought a three-meat plate to sample the wares, cost around $20 with drink and tax.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:32:10 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed:
Date/Time of Visit:
Quality of Food (1-5): 2
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 3
Quality of Service (1-5): 4
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 3
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$$
What makes this restaurant unique: Family owned. Hard to get in/out of for a non-urban location. Poor internal traffic flow.

Tell us about your experience: Meat was bland, and kinda dry. Seemed more like a roast out of a crock pot than BBQ brisket. BBQ Sauce was basically tangy ketchup. Hot BBQ sauce was almost passable. Bought a three-meat plate to sample the wares, cost around $20 with drink and tax.

When did you visit?  Absolutely not my experience with the place nor of anyone I know who frequents it.  Unless they've recently upped prices, $20 is way off for a three meat combo and drink.  What else did you try on the combo plate?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:06 am »

When did you visit?  Absolutely not my experience with the place nor of anyone I know who frequents it.  Unless they've recently upped prices, $20 is way off for a three meat combo and drink.  What else did you try on the combo plate?

A couple of weeks ago, to see how we thought they might do.

Brisket, Bologna and Hot link. Hot links were tame. Friend unknowingly tried the hot links and said "the sausage seems okay." I know from being around people who regularly smoke meats that slicing smoked bologna can give you a real idea of how long/well it has been smoked like checking rings on a tree. This looked to be barely smoked at all.

Price for a 3 meat plate, two drinks and a half order of sliced brisket was about $30.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:47:42 am »

A couple of weeks ago, to see how we thought they might do.

Brisket, Bologna and Hot link. Hot links were tame. Friend unknowingly tried the hot links and said "the sausage seems okay." I know from being around people who regularly smoke meats that slicing smoked bologna can give you a real idea of how long/well it has been smoked like checking rings on a tree. This looked to be barely smoked at all.

Price for a 3 meat plate, two drinks and a half order of sliced brisket was about $30.

Ribs, chopped beef, and sausage are what I usually get.  I don't ever order hot links or bologna as the quality is impacted generally by what they start with and really doesn't show any skill. I rarely order sliced brisket anywhere I go either.  Unless it's fresh sliced, it's almost always going to come out dry.  Either that or it's smothered in sauce when it comes to the table and that's no way to serve BBQ.

If you've got a pre-conceived notion that Back Alley will be better than Albert G's, then I suppose it will come out that way to your taste buds.  I've never heard any complaints out of people from around the country I've taken to Albert G's.  It's usually a place I will take clients from out of town.

Thank you for posting, I'm due for an A. G's fix and think I'll head that way for lunch today.  BBQ is probably one of the most prejudiced food genres as everyone likes something different.  Doesn't make your experience wrong or mine wrong, we just have differing tastes.  As well, it's easy to have a bad day in that business and if you happen to be having one when you get a bunch of first timers in, it can be a complete disaster even if you've been there for 50 years.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org