A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:28:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Psychosis  (Read 86610 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2011, 06:00:53 am »

Only took 2 1/2 years to do what Bush wouldn't do for 7 years.  That is the bottom line.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:48 am »

I'd have to think had we not gone into Iraq then Bush would be the one taking the credit for this.

I'll bet that would have ticked off a lot of people if Bush had succeeded in getting OBL.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2011, 07:17:23 am »

I'll bet that would have ticked off a lot of people if Bush had succeeded in getting OBL.

I wouldn't be included in that.  Even though I didn't care for the man as President, the sooner we got that asshat, the better.  But as I said, he evidently felt the need to finish what Dad wouldn't.  Or couldn't?

And it's obviously ticked some off already that Obama has.  I saw where some Fox News Heads were saying we shouldn't have killed him.  What?  Really?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2011, 07:27:33 am »

I saw where some Fox News Heads were saying we shouldn't have killed him.  

I hadn't heard that.  I may have heard that the FNH reported that others have said that but I dismissed it as stupid and don't remember the wording.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2011, 07:35:07 am »

I hadn't heard that.  I may have heard that the FNH reported that others have said that but I dismissed it as stupid and don't remember the wording.

I heard it was said, but truthfully haven't been able to verify it yet.  Maybe in the context of wishing that we'd taken him alive instead of killing him, but then it's likely a very public and costly trial would have been done.  Not something alot of victims' families would have wanted, I'm sure.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2011, 08:15:53 am »

First I have heard of how it came to be.  They didn't even tell GB and Canada they thought maybe he might have been there.  They also never had visual confirmation from what was in the article.  Osama's codename was "Geronimo".  They figured Osama would be heavily guarded. 

I wonder if they were 1000 feet from their military school was that they would protect him possibly?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden_hunt_for_bin_laden

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18:01 am »

I wouldn't be included in that.  Even though I didn't care for the man as President, the sooner we got that asshat, the better.  But as I said, he evidently felt the need to finish what Dad wouldn't.  Or couldn't?

And it's obviously ticked some off already that Obama has.  I saw where some Fox News Heads were saying we shouldn't have killed him.  What?  Really?

Its horrible to think that they believe our troops should take incoming fire from somebody like Osama and risk their lives (even more) take him alive.  They did what they needed to do.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2011, 08:21:01 am »

Only took 2 1/2 years to do what Bush wouldn't do for 7 years.  That is the bottom line.

This is partly fair.  He did give up a lot of the manhunt to local tribes.  But I believe we still had people on it.  It was like trying to hit 1 person in a whole country.  He did say he wasn't worried about him and he didn't spend much time thinking about him.  In context that saying is true.  He did seem to be marginalized.  As he had to use couriers to send messages.  Each message was a risk on his life, etc etc.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2011, 08:27:55 am »

This is partly fair.  He did give up a lot of the manhunt to local tribes.  But I believe we still had people on it.  It was like trying to hit 1 person in a whole country.  He did say he wasn't worried about him and he didn't spend much time thinking about him.  In context that saying is true.  He did seem to be marginalized.  As he had to use couriers to send messages.  Each message was a risk on his life, etc etc.

Exactly.  One has to wonder how significant OBL was to Al Qaeda leadership at this juncture.  I would guess there was and is a succession plan in place and AQ will continue, perhaps with more resolve after this attack.  His slaying is still a symbolic victory, though I honestly don't think it does anything to further disrupt the day-to-day operation of Al Qaeda.  I had speculated as late as last week OBL had probably been dead for a few years since there were no recent videos or reputed activity out of him.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:38 am »

Exactly.  One has to wonder how significant OBL was to Al Qaeda leadership at this juncture.  I would guess there was and is a succession plan in place and AQ will continue, perhaps with more resolve after this attack.  His slaying is still a symbolic victory, though I honestly don't think it does anything to further disrupt the day-to-day operation of Al Qaeda.  I had speculated as late as last week OBL had probably been dead for a few years since there were no recent videos or reputed activity out of him.

Best case scenario is power struggle.. which I doubt since it isn't centralized.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2011, 08:41:08 am »

This is what Obama did.  Made the call to go in.  Not sure who picked the place/time, probably not Obama.  
The call would be difficult because 1)  If Osama went in or out at any point or rotated places.  One mistimed operation and he's gone (a.k.a. he got lucky)   2) it was in Pakistan and we just sent a seal team into a residential neighborhood basically.  (said he would when he ran, McCain said Pakistan was a soverign nation and we can't do things like that)  

They weren't sure he was in there in the first place.  Luckily he was.  If he wasn't, I wonder what the news would have been?  Cause we blew up a helicopter in a neighborhood (area) basically.  

*Osama Wife wasn't human shield and wasn't killed, 12 yr daughter there*
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383106/Osama-Bin-Laden-dead-Daughter-12-saw-shot-wife-NOT-human-shield.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:43:58 am by CharlieSheen » Logged
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:27 am »

My take was that, pretty much since Tora Bora, Bin laden had been marginalized from an operational standpoint. He remained as their "spiritual" head (for lack of a better term) but for all practical purposes the group had atomized and turned to people like Zarqawi in Iraq, and the groups in Yemen and Indonesia, etc to advance the cause.  I think this is why Bush said that Bin Laden didn't matter -- and honestly, I think he was right at the time -- but it was a massive miscue from Bush on the domestic PR front, and I think was one of those major elements that undermined his ability to govern so much of the country. 

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2011, 11:50:01 am »

This foundation is one of the very worst things about America. Today the right-wing lunatics at the Heritage Foundation are crediting George W. Bush and the Patriot Act for the killing of Osama bin Laden http://blog.heritage.org/2011/05/02/morning-bell-bin-laden-dead/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Morning%2BBell .   Heritage gets lots of it's money from Coors. Since no one I know would drink that p!sswater, it's hard to get an effective boycott going, but it's worth reminding people at the bar  Quick Trip.

"Bin Laden’s elimination vindicates U.S. strategy in the region, started under President George W. Bush,"
Q Thank you, Mr. President. Earlier this week, you told a group of journalists that you thought the idea of sending Special Forces to Pakistan to hunt down bin Laden was a strategy that would not work.
BUSH: Yes.

Q Now, recently, you've also --

BUSH: Because, first of all, Pakistan is a sovereign nation.

9/11 was a spectacular intelligence failure that occurred on Shrub's watch. Typical of the right wing, they'll take all the credit and hand out all the blame in any situation, despite all evidence to the contrary.
http://mediamatters.org/research/200805220002
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2011, 12:15:18 pm »

My take was that, pretty much since Tora Bora, Bin laden had been marginalized from an operational standpoint. He remained as their "spiritual" head (for lack of a better term) but for all practical purposes the group had atomized and turned to people like Zarqawi in Iraq, and the groups in Yemen and Indonesia, etc to advance the cause.  I think this is why Bush said that Bin Laden didn't matter -- and honestly, I think he was right at the time -- but it was a massive miscue from Bush on the domestic PR front, and I think was one of those major elements that undermined his ability to govern so much of the country. 

Certainly you misspoke.  There isn't and never was Al Qaeda in Iraq or other associated terrorists.

I understand what President Bush was trying to say: There were far larger objectives we needed to worry about as they had marginalized OBL likely within the first few months in Afghanistan.  Unfortunately, we all had the expectation from the rhetoric leading up to the Afghani invasion that OBL would be rooted out and/or killed.  That was a major objective of that invasion along with getting the ruling Taliban out of power, if I recall correctly.  I think he was trying to say in his own bumbling way that the head of OBL was no longer a necessary objective in winning the WOT.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2011, 12:46:28 pm »

Certainly you misspoke.  There isn't and never was Al Qaeda in Iraq or other associated terrorists.

Well, they sure weren't there when we decided to invade, but lets just say it was a market ripe for new franchisees.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org