A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:01:36 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlesville - That town to the north.  (Read 194411 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2017, 10:16:35 am »

If you haven't been there, the factory and museum is a pretty great visit.

https://www.sluggermuseum.com/explore-the-museum

My parents have just been. They were at a convention for something else in Louisville. Hit that and Churchill. Kind of bucket list caliber things for them.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2017, 11:39:39 am »

My parents have just been. They were at a convention for something else in Louisville. Hit that and Churchill. Kind of bucket list caliber things for them.

Went to Mid-America Truck show a few years ago and had a blast!  Got to do the museum, see the racetrack, and LOTS of big trucks!!  And lots of family...just to the north and south of there.
Louisville is good place to visit.

https://www.truckingshow.com/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2017, 10:53:15 am »

^^^

I just love the thread drift on this site.

And in a time-honored TNF tradition to invoke a certain local brewery, one of the brewers from Marshall’s is currently staying at our Blue Dragonfly Inn out here in Cimarron for a few nights.

There just might be a growler or two of Tulsa brewed goodness in my refrigerator as well.  Cool

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:33 am »

^^^

I just love the thread drift on this site.

And in a time-honored TNF tradition to invoke a certain local brewery, one of the brewers from Marshall’s is currently staying at our Blue Dragonfly Inn out here in Cimarron for a few nights.

There just might be a growler or two of Tulsa brewed goodness in my refrigerator as well.  Cool

I figure it's his topic, so if he wants to drift it, I am all for it and will follow happily along! 

Envy!  Marshall's growlers...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2017, 01:50:46 pm »

So more news from the North.

It seems Academy Sports is out as a pending lawsuit about the marshland or whatever pushed back the date they were able to sign the lease, which gave them an out per their contract which they took. Honestly, I've heard the company (as well as many other big box stores) has hit a bit of a rough patch, and this may have been a blessing in disguise for them. However, they were the planned anchor of phase 2 of the project that has yet to begin construction, so that means construction will be put on hold until they are replaced, which probably means never.

In phase 1, they are entertaining an application from Panda Express to occupy one of the pad sites along Adams Blvd. Will be the first of those in town if that comes to fruition.

It appears the Frank Phillips Home (museum) has escaped the wrecking ball. Honestly I don't know if it would really come to that as I'm sure a wall of concerned citizens would have nailed themselves to that home to stop it. The Oklahoma Historical Society is currently operating the site, however funds have dried up (as has been documented regarding the state budget process). According to the contract, if OHS could not maintain it, the property was to be deeded to the city. However the city doesn't really have the funds or the know how to maintain such a facility. So it was floated that the Frank Phillips Foundation operate it. The FPF operates Woolaroc. Some legal hold ups kept it from being done quicker, but it appears that alls well that ends well when it comes to this historical home.

Domino's will be opening a "Pizza Theater" type store on the north end of HW 75 @ Tuxedo.

Paths to Independence moved to a previously vacant elementary school. Great improvement over their previous space. In case you don't know, this place is a school for autistic children. Apparently there aren't a whole lot like it around here.

Moxie on Second opened downtown. Primarily a spirit shop for the local school and OU/OSU/Tulsa. As well as other gift store stuff.

I'm sure there is more, but I just can't think of much else right now.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2017, 04:00:27 pm »

So more news from the North.

It seems Academy Sports is out as a pending lawsuit about the marshland or whatever pushed back the date they were able to sign the lease, which gave them an out per their contract which they took. Honestly, I've heard the company (as well as many other big box stores) has hit a bit of a rough patch, and this may have been a blessing in disguise for them. However, they were the planned anchor of phase 2 of the project that has yet to begin construction, so that means construction will be put on hold until they are replaced, which probably means never.

In phase 1, they are entertaining an application from Panda Express to occupy one of the pad sites along Adams Blvd. Will be the first of those in town if that comes to fruition.

It appears the Frank Phillips Home (museum) has escaped the wrecking ball. Honestly I don't know if it would really come to that as I'm sure a wall of concerned citizens would have nailed themselves to that home to stop it. The Oklahoma Historical Society is currently operating the site, however funds have dried up (as has been documented regarding the state budget process). According to the contract, if OHS could not maintain it, the property was to be deeded to the city. However the city doesn't really have the funds or the know how to maintain such a facility. So it was floated that the Frank Phillips Foundation operate it. The FPF operates Woolaroc. Some legal hold ups kept it from being done quicker, but it appears that alls well that ends well when it comes to this historical home.

Domino's will be opening a "Pizza Theater" type store on the north end of HW 75 @ Tuxedo.

Paths to Independence moved to a previously vacant elementary school. Great improvement over their previous space. In case you don't know, this place is a school for autistic children. Apparently there aren't a whole lot like it around here.

Moxie on Second opened downtown. Primarily a spirit shop for the local school and OU/OSU/Tulsa. As well as other gift store stuff.

I'm sure there is more, but I just can't think of much else right now.

Academy does seem to be wandering in the wilderness a little bit.   I go to the one on 71st in Tulsa and the one in Moore, OK (fairly new one) from time to time and they both are noticeably less busy in the last year or so than previously.  Not a time of day thing, either, cause I tend to go at same time to each respective store.   

They are cutting back on what they inventory in the stores - same as everyone - and hoping for online to take up the slack.  I want to do the opposite - check it out online, then go pick it up at the store.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2017, 12:33:26 pm »

Wal-Mart is apparently consolidating some positions in Arkansas. Claims Management has been in the old Walmart here as long as I have been in town. In fact, I thought they also used to have a collections group. But that may have left long ago. I only think that because an old friend claims to have worked there doing it. I doubt these were particularly high paying positions, but losses are losses none the less. With the distribution center, Wal-Mart still employs quite a few Bartians.

http://www.examiner-enterprise.com/news/20170831/walmart-to-close-bartlesville-claims-management-center

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »

In other less depressing, but strange, news, Bartlesville is now home to a "tiny-house" village.

They have had a temporary one up accross from the new downtown Sonic for a few months now, and it is REALLY tiny. It's on the west side, which is a bit of an industrial area, but it is right down the street from Boys & Girls Clubs new campus & Frontier Pool. Who knows how this will turn out.

Elsewhere, several stores are nearing opening in the Silverlake Crossing (or whatever it's called). Footings are being laid for Chick-fil-A in Eastland.

Rumor is that Planet Fitness will be opening in the former Stage location in Eastland Plaza. Hopefully the face lift comes to fruition. Coupled with the addition of a few fresher stores, Eastland actually is decently located in front of the most highly trafficed intersection in town. I think a lot of retailers still value car counts.

Downtown, Lulbella's is moving to a bigger space and making space for added vendors, local I am guessing. They will be moving next door to the recently opened Moxie on 2nd. This is really nice to hear since the last I recalled hearing was that many of the retail shops downtown had been struggling, coincident with the layoffs going on at the company-who-must-not-be-named.

When I moved here in '06, that block consisted of a bunch of empty buildings book ended by Tate Boys Auto on the west and Bartlesville Print Shop on the east. Fast forward to today, and in addition to those two anchors Bartlesville Ballet, Mid-America Karate, Moxie on Second and now Lubella's have all moved in. In addition several of the second floor spaces have either already been updated for residential, or are in the process of (Print Shop building). Nice to see for sure.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2017, 01:58:24 pm »

In other less depressing, but strange, news, Bartlesville is now home to a "tiny-house" village.

That might make more sense than the regular tiny houses.   Configuration is different, but the basic house is similar to first one I had on Admiral.  My next one is gonna be 2 bedroom again, but I will probably have a little bit larger kitchen, and definitely 2 bathrooms!   Other than that, it don't look too bad.  Oh, yeah - gonna have a nice wide porch front and back.  So if ya took one of those, put the entry on the side instead of the end, just about there.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:52 am »

A few more updates:

Shortie's Grille has been around for some time as a food truck. The still operate the truck to my knowledge, but they openned up a brick and mortar on Frank Phillips, right next to the Painted Horse. I've been several times. Good food, love the street tacos and elote. No complaints. But it always seemed to be a bit slow, service and crowd. Well, they have decided to move a few blocks down into a garage behind the Pioneer Building on Dewey. Kind of an interesting idea. Open air from what I can tell. Probably primarily open at lunch time. Access will be through an alley, so I guess we will see how that goes. Awesome way for the landlord to get some rent out of that more or less useless space. It is basically a three car garage behind a three story commercial building. Phat Tire just moved in recently in the main street level space. Pretty cool. I'll go for sure.

Apparently Omega Chocolats has been hocking STG gelato. No complaints here...

This guy is getting a remodel. Long time home to TECO appliance (recently closed) is getting a complete overhaul. Returning the upstairs to a few dozen apparments, and rehabbed commercial space downstairs. This building is a neighbor to my office so it's nice to see this happening, no matter how slowly it is likely to happen.

Another neighbor project, Tinker's Glass House. Looks like a much more serious, better financed project than the TECO building. Hopefully the restaurant turns out well. Exciting to see the edges of the Capitol Hill neighborhood starting to get some face lifts.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2017, 12:34:01 pm »

So apparently Bartlesville has caught up with the times again and installed a temporary ice skating rink. Haven't been yet.

The picture is way too big to post here (not sure if I can resize), here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/DowntownBartlesville/photos/a.745133415524667.1073741831.311443725560307/1481824555188879/?type=3

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »

So apparently Bartlesville has caught up with the times again and installed a temporary ice skating rink. Haven't been yet.

The picture is way too big to post here (not sure if I can resize), here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/DowntownBartlesville/photos/a.745133415524667.1073741831.311443725560307/1481824555188879/?type=3

Seems like something every southern town has to have.... Broken Arrow has one, too.  Driving through a couple weeks ago, stopped and looked.  $12 to skate and rent skates!!  $8 if you have your own skates.   Guess I will pass on that broken bone opportunity...   How much does B'ville charge?

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2017, 11:01:45 pm »

Seems like something every southern town has to have.... Broken Arrow has one, too.  Driving through a couple weeks ago, stopped and looked.  $12 to skate and rent skates!!  $8 if you have your own skates.   Guess I will pass on that broken bone opportunity...   How much does B'ville charge?

$10 with skates, and you get a coupon book for local businesses I believe. I don't see a price if you have your own skates. I haven't been, and honestly don't know that I will make it this year because of many other commitments we have going on. Life has been crazy lately.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2017, 03:56:37 pm »

Casa Tamales on Tuxedo is closing in a couple of weeks.

I thought I remember erfalf mentioning it was one of his favorite spots.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:34 pm »

Casa Tamales on Tuxedo is closing in a couple of weeks.

I thought I remember erfalf mentioning it was one of his favorite spots.

For real, I was just there a week or so ago and had no idea. I do like going to that place, just wish it was more convenient to where I work and live.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org