A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:41:07 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlesville - That town to the north.  (Read 194410 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2017, 12:05:07 am »

I won't have near as much reason now to drive through B'Ville now that Oklahoma retailers offer New Belgium Brewery products (Fat Tire and others).  However, it will be difficult to stay away from Murphy's.  My doctor probably wishes I would forever.   Cool

The roll out of New Belgium seems very under-reported in the Tulsa media.  Seems a bit odd.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »

Well, speaking of nothing going on...  Tongue

Last week apparently it has been found out that another old building here is going to be converted into a bar & grill. The permit is for 6,000 s.f. of space that will include two full-service bars, an event room big enough to accommodate 100,  a board meeting room for up to 15, an elevator and a retail counter for carry-out service. The building was constructed in 1912 and served as a grocer until 1919. It has come to be known as the Perkins Glass & Millwork building after longtime cabinet maker and millworker Adrin Perkins. Until recently the building had an incredibly ugly cover over it. Recently it has been removed (thankfully). Some pictures below (historic/with cover/current state).

From the former gas station across the street that now is Sound Station:

Prior to the cover being removed:
https://goo.gl/maps/Jbwt6sEfeqy

Current state:
https://goo.gl/maps/AAuFnoy7xSQ2

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
saintnicster
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2017, 07:12:08 am »

Construction on that bridge at US-75, near Frank Phillips
Speaking of that stretch of HW 75, one direction is currently torn down to replace the bridge. Traffic was pretty snarly before, it's fantastic now (sarc), and appears to be under construction FOREVER! I now can sympathize on a local level with Tulsa construction, even if it is on a much smaller scale.

I know those of you were chomping at the bit, but driving in this morning, noticed that all four lanes were opened back up on this US-75 bridge. May have opened up yesterday afternoon, but I don't leave via that route.  There are still some cones on the side, but looks like they may have come in ahead of schedule? Smiley
TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »

Construction on that bridge at US-75, near Frank Phillips
I know those of you were chomping at the bit, but driving in this morning, noticed that all four lanes were opened back up on this US-75 bridge. May have opened up yesterday afternoon, but I don't leave via that route.  There are still some cones on the side, but looks like they may have come in ahead of schedule? Smiley

It was closed off on my way home yesterday but open this morning. Hallelujah!
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:21 pm »

Was going to say the same. Closed yesterday on my way home when I crossed at Frank Phillips. Idiot drivers parked in the middle of the intersection. Us small town folks apparently don't understand how to deal with traffic.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2017, 01:24:46 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/josh.wright.fix/videos/10155585364550513/

Saw this in regards to the recent 4th of July festivities in town. I think this video as well as any other I have seen lately paints Bartlesville in a really beautiful light.

While Bartlesville isn't my hometown, it has been my home nearly continuously since college. I honestly don't see us moving away from the community at this point (reality is if work dictated it, I probably would, but I wouldn't like it).

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2017, 01:37:28 pm »

Lot's of other stuff going on in town too. Phat Tire Bike Shop is opening a shop in the long vacant Pioneer Building, right next to Curbside Closet. A new Virtual Reality gaming shop has opened a few doors down from The Painted Horse. Hopestone moved down Frank Phillips into the much larger Kress Building. I thought I saw a sign for a burger somethingarather where Sugerica used to be on Osage. Kid's Korner (toy store) moved out of the ITIO past the Painted Horse as well. The single block between Keeler and Johnstone now has an insurance office, an art gallery, a toy store, VR gaming, three restaurants and a chocolate/gelato shop.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »

Lot's of other stuff going on in town too. Phat Tire Bike Shop is opening a shop in the long vacant Pioneer Building, right next to Curbside Closet. A new Virtual Reality gaming shop has opened a few doors down from The Painted Horse. Hopestone moved down Frank Phillips into the much larger Kress Building. I thought I saw a sign for a burger somethingarather where Sugerica used to be on Osage. Kid's Korner (toy store) moved out of the ITIO past the Painted Horse as well. The single block between Keeler and Johnstone now has an insurance office, an art gallery, a toy store, VR gaming, three restaurants and a chocolate/gelato shop.

I’m rather surprised Bartlesville did not have a bicycle shop prior to this (at least I’m not aware of one).  It seems like the perfect community for one and the population numbers are there as well as demographics for people who would be willing to spend a bit more on a bicycle than what Wal-Mart has to offer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2017, 08:09:54 pm »

I’m rather surprised Bartlesville did not have a bicycle shop prior to this (at least I’m not aware of one).  It seems like the perfect community for one and the population numbers are there as well as demographics for people who would be willing to spend a bit more on a bicycle than what Wal-Mart has to offer.

Used to have a local one (Phat Tire is not local) out on 75 & Tuxedo about 5 years ago. Can't remember the name. But as things go in a small town, when the owner retires, so does the business. Sweet P's downtown, a staple before it was hip to be down there is closing down soon. Business was fine, owner is just aging and wants to enjoy her twilight years. Apparently no one wants the business, so it closes.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2017, 04:12:50 pm »

Used to have a local one (Phat Tire is not local) out on 75 & Tuxedo about 5 years ago. Can't remember the name. But as things go in a small town, when the owner retires, so does the business. Sweet P's downtown, a staple before it was hip to be down there is closing down soon. Business was fine, owner is just aging and wants to enjoy her twilight years. Apparently no one wants the business, so it closes.

Phat Tire has been pretty aggressive on expansion.  My first exposure to them was in Bentonville where they are headquartered.  I took it they approached the former owner of Lee’s and the Trek Store in Tulsa out of the blue with an interest in buying him out. 

I’m not entirely clear on who the major backer is (ahem, “Bentonville”, **cough**), but with eight shops open and one more coming, that doesn’t happen based on the success of the original store alone;  that takes serious capital.  The bike business is, relatively-speaking, low margin and very cost intensive to have the accessory and parts replacement inventory on hand that you need on a daily basis.  There’s also very intense competition from the internet.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2017, 08:39:38 am »

It appears the Hollywood may be invading again.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/martin-scorsese-development-killers-of-the-flower-moon-dante-ferretti-1202495680/

Who knew Osage county would be the epicenter of Hollywood movie making in this state? Though I will say personally it is some of the most beautiful scenery around.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2017, 08:56:31 am »

And in non-downtown development...

Silver Lake Village appears poised to open by the holiday. Word is bats are holding up a bit of the construction at the moment. Apparently they are protected in Oklahoma and even more so in the warm summer months. Again, who knew.

The completion of this development coincides with some major closings, none of which were a surprise to me. Sears (a real one not a neighborhood store), K-Mart & Stage Department store have all closed or are closing shortly. As has been discussed on this board, large footprint department stores appear to be a dying bread. And the news of Sears marketing Kenmore on Amazon pretty much negates any negative impact to the actual consumer in this area. Sears really should just focus on that brand and just forget all pretense of being a department store, because I would venture a guess that north of 75% of the business at this store was for Kenmore or Craftsman products. The options at Silver Lake Village (which I believe will include a TJ Maxx, Ross, Rack Room Shoes and Ulta) should more than make up for the losses of these three large stores.

Phase 2 @ Silver Lake is being held up by our favorite thorn in our side who has brought up a lawsuit claiming it some environmental harm or something. Phase 2 is expected to be a stand alone Academy Sports.

In other parts of town, Chick-fil-A will be building its first store in town in Eastland, where the outdoor part of Atwoods used to be. Supposedly Hobby Lobby will be relocating to the old Atwoods space, which is much closer to the front of the shopping center, and much larger than where they are currently at. Eastland is attempting to make some updates to make the center not look so dated, which it is, and very much looks like it is.

Just south of Wal-Mart, next to My Dentist, another chicken place will be going in, Chicken Express. Personally I have never been, but apparently there is one on South Memorial. I don't venture down that way often (ever) so I'm sure I have missed it.

As mentioned above, Sears closed. However recently it has been announced that Dunham's Sports will be taking over in that space.

Ree & Ladd Drummond own land @ the Northeast corner of 75 & Washington. Previous offices have been demolished and it has been sitting since. Rumors are that it will be a cafe of sorts.

And finally, Casey's General Store looks to be building it's second store in Bartlesville exactly one mile from the first at Madison & Adams (this one will be 1 mile south @ Madison & Nowata).

I've lived here for over 10 years now, and honestly don't recall a time where I have seen this much activity going on at once. And this all with a new round of layoffs and constant fear of one of the big 2 pulling out all together.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2017, 09:04:24 am »

And in non-downtown development...

Silver Lake Village appears poised to open by the holiday. Word is bats are holding up a bit of the construction at the moment. Apparently they are protected in Oklahoma and even more so in the warm summer months. Again, who knew.

Huh Huh Huh

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:55 am »

My thoughts, but coincidentally, my office is also having bat issues. The building is 100 years old and obviously is not perfectly sealed. During a few months in the summer, apparently it is illegal to forcibly remove them. Like we have a net for just such an occasion. But this is illegal. The only thing we can do is induce them to leave. Now, once September rolls around...

It's ludicrous I know.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2017, 09:57:30 am »

Huh Huh Huh

If you haven't been there, the factory and museum is a pretty great visit.

https://www.sluggermuseum.com/explore-the-museum

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org