A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:56:19 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlesville - That town to the north.  (Read 194026 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2012, 09:07:19 am »

^^The above posts are why MC and I eat 90-95% of our meals at home.

I'm doing better about that.  I never add salt to any meal I prepare.  Hypertension runs in the family.  I'm sure BurnCo yesterday blew the cap off my sodium intake for that day.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2012, 12:35:57 pm »

I'm doing better about that.  I never add salt to any meal I prepare.  Hypertension runs in the family.  I'm sure BurnCo yesterday blew the cap off my sodium intake for that day.

Blew the cap off mine for a week, I'm pretty certain.  They do rely heavily on the salt, don't they?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:00 pm »

Looks like our first food truck hasn't closed down like I had thought. They just moved (go figure). They were at 2nd & Cherokee, which I thought was a really terrible location not only because of the distance form the COP campus, but because it was on Cherokee, which is a through street with fast moving traffic. Plus it was on a giant cement lot that had to be a zillion degrees in the summer. It has moved to right in front of the Price Tower, which is within a block or two of most of the office buildings downtown.

Grill 66 opened back up the other day. It is still in The Phillips Hotel, now known as The Johnstone Apartments. I went a few times before it was closed. Nothing to write home about that's for sure. The pictures I have seen looks like it still belongs in a senior living residence (which it is).

And it looks like Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers may be moving to town.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:03 am »

Looks like our first food truck hasn't closed down like I had thought. They just moved (go figure). They were at 2nd & Cherokee, which I thought was a really terrible location not only because of the distance form the COP campus, but because it was on Cherokee, which is a through street with fast moving traffic. Plus it was on a giant cement lot that had to be a zillion degrees in the summer. It has moved to right in front of the Price Tower, which is within a block or two of most of the office buildings downtown.

Grill 66 opened back up the other day. It is still in The Phillips Hotel, now known as The Johnstone Apartments. I went a few times before it was closed. Nothing to write home about that's for sure. The pictures I have seen looks like it still belongs in a senior living residence (which it is).

And it looks like Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers may be moving to town.

The food truck also parks out in front of ABB during the lunch hour once or twice a week.
It's former Frank and Lola's bartender Chris Barnhill who runs it. Pretty good guy and pretty good food.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53:55 pm »

The food truck also parks out in front of ABB during the lunch hour once or twice a week.
It's former Frank and Lola's bartender Chris Barnhill who runs it. Pretty good guy and pretty good food.

Now I'm not certain, but I could have sworn there was a guy named Chris that worked at the now defunct Sweet Lou's. And I was under the impression that it was the same guy that ran the hot dog stand downtown as well (which I haven't seen in a long time). I could be dead wrong, just wondering.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »

Now I'm not certain, but I could have sworn there was a guy named Chris that worked at the now defunct Sweet Lou's. And I was under the impression that it was the same guy that ran the hot dog stand downtown as well (which I haven't seen in a long time). I could be dead wrong, just wondering.

That was actually Michael Wheeler. He still brings out the hot dog stand most Saturday nights at Frank and Lola's. 
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »

That was actually Michael Wheeler. He still brings out the hot dog stand most Saturday nights at Frank and Lola's. 

That's good that he's still keeping it up. Is he working anywhere else?

It's amazing how many places open up and shut down in downtown. While I generally think most of it has to do with poor food, there are some that are just overpriced (or undervalued). Sweet Lou's was one of them. They had decent food but it was so astronomically expensive for what it was. It had a good location too, but they were so slow you could barely get in and out under an hour. That is way too long. I have the same feelings about 2 Sisters. They are really pricey for unspectacular food. I got on trip-advisers and many of the reviews were pretty critical. They are in a good location too, and a cool building. I honestly haven't been in so long. I hear people at work that are about to go out to lunch say "How about 2 Sisters". Then someone will say it is too much, then they will go to Frank & Lola's which is just as expensive. That's a bad sign.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2012, 03:12:51 pm »

That's good that he's still keeping it up. Is he working anywhere else?

It's amazing how many places open up and shut down in downtown. While I generally think most of it has to do with poor food, there are some that are just overpriced (or undervalued). Sweet Lou's was one of them. They had decent food but it was so astronomically expensive for what it was. It had a good location too, but they were so slow you could barely get in and out under an hour. That is way too long. I have the same feelings about 2 Sisters. They are really pricey for unspectacular food. I got on trip-advisers and many of the reviews were pretty critical. They are in a good location too, and a cool building. I honestly haven't been in so long. I hear people at work that are about to go out to lunch say "How about 2 Sisters". Then someone will say it is too much, then they will go to Frank & Lola's which is just as expensive. That's a bad sign.

I'm actually not sure where he works now. I recommend the Seattle Dog though if you catch him slinging dogs one night.

I personally thought Sweet Lou's had a lot of potential. The location was great, the view was nice, the bar was well stocked. I really did enjoy my first few visits, but things started to go downhill right before it closed. It just seemed terribly mismanaged. Nothing was consistent, from the service to the specials.

As for 2 Sisters, I look past all of its glaring flaws and just love the place. It's a pub, the only pub we have. The bar is beautiful, and as long as I tell the bartenders how to mix my favorite drinks I'm perfectly content spending an afternoon or evening there. The food is average at best, but the atmosphere is right up my alley.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2012, 03:16:12 pm »

I'm actually not sure where he works now. I recommend the Seattle Dog though if you catch him slinging dogs one night.

I personally thought Sweet Lou's had a lot of potential. The location was great, the view was nice, the bar was well stocked. I really did enjoy my first few visits, but things started to go downhill right before it closed. It just seemed terribly mismanaged. Nothing was consistent, from the service to the specials.

As for 2 Sisters, I look past all of its glaring flaws and just love the place. It's a pub, the only pub we have. The bar is beautiful, and as long as I tell the bartenders how to mix my favorite drinks I'm perfectly content spending an afternoon or evening there. The food is average at best, but the atmosphere is right up my alley.

Just my opinion, but the atmosphere (building/bar/loft) is the only thing keeping people coming. Is the place as busy as it used to be. I quit going a while back but I used to frequent the place and it just seemed like it was sliding. My wife said something interesting. She said that if Frank & Lola's and 2 Sisters switched places, 2 Sisters would have been out of business months ago. I am still amazed that Frank & Lola's is as happening as it is considering it is on a street that has dead ends on both ends. You would have to be going to 2nd street to actually drive by F&L's. It's amazing what they have going on there.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2012, 08:55:10 am »

Just my opinion, but the atmosphere (building/bar/loft) is the only thing keeping people coming. Is the place as busy as it used to be. I quit going a while back but I used to frequent the place and it just seemed like it was sliding. My wife said something interesting. She said that if Frank & Lola's and 2 Sisters switched places, 2 Sisters would have been out of business months ago. I am still amazed that Frank & Lola's is as happening as it is considering it is on a street that has dead ends on both ends. You would have to be going to 2nd street to actually drive by F&L's. It's amazing what they have going on there.

2 Sisters may be slipping in that their beer selection has been slashed since they opened, but the food and service has stayed pretty consistent since the beginning... for better or for worse.

It is amazing the notoriety that FnLs has built up in a rather short time. The food and friendly service speaks for itself though. I know it's the place that I bring all of my out of town friends and family to when they come to Bville.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »

Everyone is getting Hollywood fever around here.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Stars-spotted-in-Bartlesville/-2KbZT8q6ES8nGTqAtQ3Cw.cspx

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2012, 07:43:14 pm »

I went to Murphy's tonight for dinner. Had fifteen people and most of us had the hot hamburger. Everybody loved the place.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »

I went to Murphy's tonight for dinner. Had fifteen people and most of us had the hot hamburger. Everybody loved the place.

Hope you had a side of cardiologist as well.   Grin

But yes, the hot hamburger is THE thing to eat at Murphy's.  I'll likely be there next week as I'm planning a Caney Fat Tire run next weekend.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2012, 07:54:24 pm »

What does the Hot Hamburger have on it?

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »

This the reason RM was up there?
Lol

Tylerbgoode= great moniker!

Don?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org