A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:56:42 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlesville - That town to the north.  (Read 194462 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 04:31:25 pm »

Now I'll have to do a photowalk around Bartlesville, too!  But not this weekend.  I'm working Saturday, and Sunday I've already decided to do some old airplanes at Gundy's and that private airfield out on 21st Street - if it's still there.

You talking about Harvey Young (1H6)?  It's still there.  And it's not private.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/1H6

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 05:21:04 pm »

Yep, that's it - Harvey Young.  I took the kids out there when they were very small, so it's probably been 15 years or more.

I likes me some old, rusty cars and vintage flying aluminum.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 08:14:50 pm »

You talking about Harvey Young (1H6)?  It's still there.  And it's not private.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/1H6

Minor point just to confuse everyone, it's privately owned but open to the public.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 10:52:16 pm »

Now I'll have to do a photowalk around Bartlesville, too!  But not this weekend.  I'm working Saturday, and Sunday I've already decided to do some old airplanes at Gundy's and that private airfield out on 21st Street - if it's still there.

Harvey Young?  Best accessed from 11th, as I recall.  Between 129th & 145th.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:00 pm »

Harvey Young?  Best accessed from 11th, as I recall.  Between 129th & 145th.

Correct..that old sign that points to the airport still exists.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
qingfeng456
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 06:50:37 pm »

if we could get E5 high speed rail it'd be a 20 minute ride one way.
qingfeng456
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »

if we could get E5 high speed rail it'd be a 20 minute ride one way.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »

It’s been a while, so I figured I needed to update you big city types about what’s happening to the north again.

Well, the biggest news is… there will now be two fortune 500 companies in downtown Bartlesville. Unfortunately (sort of) this is due to a split in ConocoPhillips. The move is strategic for the company and will create two completely autonomous companies that as far as I know will be keeping their shared services organizations in Bartlesville. It’s still early in the deal, so not much is known yet. It also sounds like this could bring some new jobs to town since some of the shared services groups cannot be split and still have the manpower needed to get the job done. But this by far is the biggest news as of late.

Updates on projects mentioned previously:

The Johnstone – Not sure what’s going on here, renovations seem to have come to a halt over the last month or so. I’ve heard mentioned that a Mexican restaurant is planned for the large commercial space. What makes these old buildings so great is that they housed so many businesses in such a small space. The main commercial space has now been expanded to include what used to be a barber shop, but that still leaves 3 other ground level spaces (previously a restaurant, preacher’s office, and a tiny (literally) cafe). Have not heard anything else about possible tenants or what the reason for the hold up is. Maybe it is just too stinking hot.

Kress Building – This one is moving along nicely. The owner is chronicling his experience on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kress-Building-Bartlesville/184538088259313?ref=pb The Frank Phillips club is going to be the primary tenant, utilizing the downstairs space. Upstairs will be used for a single living space with some loft space for a new monthly publication – Bartlesville Monthly http://www.facebook.com/bartlesvillemonthly?ref=pb. This project is really awesome, and hopefully we can get him to do some more. PLEASE!

Sweet Lou’s – In my opinion a resounding success. They have amazing and unique food offerings that you can’t find anywhere else in town, and it’s good too.

Former Aroma’s – the construction company sign has been removed. Not sure what’s going on here. I think the property is still owned by the bank.

The Johnstone Apartments – Now includes some rentable office space according to there website. I think this project will move slowly as it is a large property.

New Projects

Buffalo Run Townhomes – To the immediate east of the central business district, a new townhome project is about to get started. It has received a $102,150 forgivable loan for a five year period from the Bartlesville Redevelopment Trust Authority on Wednesday. Some dilapidated residential structures on 3 lots were torn down (not a loss in my opinion) to make way for this project. It proposes 3 two-story townhouses with four units per structure. Good news for that area. This area just east of downtown is ripe for redevelopment. Properties values are extremely low and it is easily walkable to the downtown core.

The Really Old City Hall – Not that anybody would realize it due to renovations but the property at 128 W. 2nd St. was the first city hall for Bartlesville. It has been (and I believe continues to be) retail space for a hair salon and birthday/party space. The owners received approval to renovate the upstairs units into rentals and bring it up to code. The work has already begun. My guess is there are no more than 2, maybe 3, units. Small project. It would be awesome to have every building downtown 100% utilized downstairs and up. Slowly owners are renovating upstairs units which is a great thing. There is a huge gap in rental properties in this town. Many new ConocoPhillips employees can’t find adequate/clean rental properties. That would make it atleast 25 units in the CBD and many more in the immediate vicinity.

New Businesses -

Sugarica - New bakery, opening on the Osage side of the Curtis Building at 222 Frank Phillips. They have a website and Facebook and appear to already have a customer base and are now opening up a retail store.

Cup'N'Cake Cupcakery opened up just east at 5th & Shawnee. Another bakery/cupcake place. Haven't heard much about it so I can't really say much.

Falafel Ave. is a new greek restaurant that is opening up at 310 S. Dweey in the former Bogart's space. Don't know much again, but good luck with the greek food.

Well, that's all for now.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 02:03:39 pm »

Just wanted to give some visuals for the post above.

The Johnstone
Here is a historical picture:

And a more recent photo, prior to the fire:

A couple pictures of the fire and damage:

The Kress Building

Historical Photos:

Progress so far:

The Johnstone Apartments:

And this is just an awersome picture of downtown Bartlesville taken by Mike Kinsch posted on the Downtown Bartlesville Facebook:

GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 04:48:56 pm »

Just wanted to give some visuals for the post above.

The Johnstone
Here is a historical picture:

And a more recent photo, prior to the fire:

A couple pictures of the fire and damage:

The Kress Building

Historical Photos:

Progress so far:

The Johnstone Apartments:

And this is just an awersome picture of downtown Bartlesville taken by Mike Kinsch posted on the Downtown Bartlesville Facebook:

Seems like I read some where that it was a meth lab that started the fire you have pictured.   Is that true?

Trust but verify
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:15 am »

Seems like I read some where that it was a meth lab that started the fire you have pictured.   Is that true?

It is going through court right now. This is my version of the story (as it changes from person to person). I understand that Robert of the former Robert's Restaurant and someone else were possibly making meth in the building. It has been going through court for some time, also held up by the fact that he fled to Florida or something.

I remember thinking at the time that the fire seemed awefully suspicious. The primary tennant/building owner had just closed down after 99 years of service at that location. I didn't really want to think they would do anything like that since they are a very well respected family in town. Fortunately they had nothing to do with it. Also, I am very happy that the building was not just destroyed and made into a parking lot, which in many cases I imigine would have been the fate of a building that was burned to the extent this one was.

CarolineMc
Tourist

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 06:19:13 am »

The TIF Incentive awarded to Sweet Lou's was returned to the City of Bartlesville due to fraud in obtaining the funds.  The search warrants issued by the Bartlesville Police Department are available at the Washington County Courthouse that explain the fraud.  Thanks to a very observant former accountant from ConocoPhillips, the City of Bartlesville was able to recover the $12,750.  The DA declined to file charges (good ol boys club alive and well).

I have been to Sweet Lou's 3 times.  The first time I wanted to try it.  Went during lunch, took 20 minutes for our order to be taken.  Took another 25 minutes for lunch for 2 to arrive.  Ordered a Spinach Salad.  Basically it was side salad.  This restaurant does not have the proper dishes to serve what they have on the menu so my salad was served in a small bowl.  The waiter took $2 off but we both left hungry.  I took the time to have lunch and it turned into a big waste of time.  I had to hit the vending machine at 3:30. The next table waited 55 minutes for their lunch to arrive and they were noticeably upset about it.  The second time I went with friends that wanted to try it.  Had the same experience--slow service and marginal food.  Third time I had to be dragged--good thing they have a bar.  Food is not "amazing"--it's mediocre and over priced.  The service is slow and unprofessional.

The restaurant is basically overpriced and mediocre--teamed with the lack of integrity of the owners, I hope they close soon.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 04:36:05 pm »

Another update from the Ville:

Updates on projects mentioned previously:

The Johnstone – is still plugging along…really slowly. Still no word on what is going on here. In related news Robert pled guilty to arson in the fire that gutted this building.

Kress Building – As far as I can tell, this is complete. The ground floor space is used for get Frank Phillips Club/art exhibits/events while the upstairs is a living space/monthly magazine offices. I am still hoping Mr. Oldroyd gets the itch to do many, many more projects.

The Really Old City Hall – Still moving along on this one. They are applying for façade renovation grants. Here are some links to this building. It has obviously been covered with plaster at some point. Below are links to a couple of pictures of this building in case anybody is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasfberger/3192563825/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrykathy/2170699026/

Buffalo Run Townhomes – Last time I was by, the dirt work was being done, so it excited to see something actually moving forward with regards to residential development.

New Projects –

City owned block bounded by Adams/Armstrong/8th St/Keeler - The city has owned most of this block for quit some time. The non-city owned parcels are an Arvest ATM, a single family home being renovated for Ameriprise Financial, a two unit duplex, and a parking lot owned by the postal workers. It has been cleared for 5 or so years and plans for townhomes have been thrown about multiple times. Apparently Commonwealth Development Corporation (out of Wisconsin) has applied to purchase this land. I don’t know much. There website has some decent looking developments. Honestly any decent market rate rentals would do great here. It is a little over a block from the ConocoPhillips campus and only about 5 to 7 blocks from all the restaurants/night life downtown.

210 E. 4th – I’ve seen some construction going on inside this building for a few months, but it has been extremely slow. They have recently applied for a façade improvement grant. Kallin Investments owns the building which appears to have been an old garage. Most of the building fronting 4th street were auto oriented even back in the 50’s. I’ve seen old pictures of a large Phillips 66 station accress from Frank Phillips Tower (currently the Phillips 66 Heritage Museum/old Arvest Bank Building). I’ve also heard that one of the largest Citgo’s in the county was at 4th and Osage, one block from their old headquarters at 4th & Dewey. Many other garages/filling stations fronted 4th street as well. Be interesting to see what turns up here. It sits caddy corner from the Rogers State downtown campus.

323 S. Osage – This building was about to be demolished as blight (and fairly so). The previous owners have let the building fall apart and the room was nearly to fall in. Randy Lawrence (who I think owns a lawn care business in town) swooped in and bought the building on the premise that he would secure the building so they don’t tear it down. This building is auto oriented as well, with a garage opening in front. I understand at one point the local newspaper owned the building but most recently it was an auto repair shop with this funky sign. http://www.flickr.com/photos/army_arch/3058130563/ Don’t know what the plans are but It seems workable for a home base for a lawn care business.

210 E. 2nd – The Lawrence’s also purchased this building. It is a single story 4,200 s.f. retail space. It has been empty as long as I have lived here (since 2006). They applied for development financing assistance for this and 323 S. Osage.

Oh and the new County Detention center is now open across the tracks. Maybe all of the officers will see the cameras before they beat the prisoners there.

New Business:

Sugerica is now done with their new digs in the Curtis Building. They have walk in Wednesday’s and I’m told their treats are fantastic. Have not had the opportunity to “test” them out yet.

Falafel Ave. is now open. I don’t go by often, but they always look really deserted at night. Maybe it’s more of a lunch place. And Greek is not my thing. Sorry.

Wassamiller Insurance isn’t really new, but they have moved downtown. They are right beside Frank and Lola’s on Second Street.

Bad News:

Jessica’s Tiny Café has closed. Used to be in The Johnstone in a really REALLY tiny space. Maybe all the extra square footage was too much to overcome. It is kind of in a bad spot too, many businesses come and go in The Professional Building annex.

Sweet Lou’s. Ok I’ll admit I have to eat my words here. The food was not interesting enough for me to go there more than once or twice. I always thought well such and such does this dish better. So I never went back. And apparently they are “taking the holidays off” I thought they meant Thanksgiving, but it is still closed. Same thing happened at Jessica’s above. Sign in the window saying we are taking a vacation, then bam closed. Plus the financial dealing mentioned previously are probably true. I have heard of a fund raiser not they hosted (10% of sales kind of thing) was never paid. I should have known that if they were giving pizza away once a week things were not going well.

Other:

On the Rock Ministries is a recreation center for teens located right across the rail road tracks from the old depot. It has indoor skate park, coffeehouse, concert stage, computer lab, and outdoor patio. They have recently purchased several of the surrounding warehouses (that were not utilized) to renovate for more recreation space. They have also purchased the office space adjacent to the new warehouses for a computer lab/learning center. They do this all on donations alone. Nice to see them expanding and doing good for the community. It is pretty remarkable what they have done and is just one more of those things that makes Bartlesville one of the most family friendly communities around.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 02:05:45 pm »

Worked in Bartlesville for 8 years, sure do miss Dink's.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »

Seems like I read some where that it was a meth lab that started the fire you have pictured.   Is that true?

Not sure about the one pictured. It was the Mays Brothers building.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20111130_11_0_BARTLE781982
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org