A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:15:10 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlesville - That town to the north.  (Read 195518 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:16 am »

City owned block bounded by Adams/Armstrong/8th St/Keeler - The city has owned most of this block for quit some time. The non-city owned parcels are an Arvest ATM, a single family home being renovated for Ameriprise Financial, a two unit duplex, and a parking lot owned by the postal workers. It has been cleared for 5 or so years and plans for townhomes have been thrown about multiple times. Apparently Commonwealth Development Corporation (out of Wisconsin) has applied to purchase this land. I don’t know much. There website has some decent looking developments. Honestly any decent market rate rentals would do great here. It is a little over a block from the ConocoPhillips campus and only about 5 to 7 blocks from all the restaurants/night life downtown.

Ok, huge disappointment reading the paper this weekend:

The city has owned almost an entire city block between Adams, Jennings, Armstrong & 8th for quite some time. The remaining single family homes were leveled something in the mid-2000’s in order to entice development (the homes were not a loss, trust me). The city council is acting on this property today and I’ve learned that the plan is still for Commonwealth Development Corp to construct 40 units on the 49,000 s.f. lot. However, they will be senior housing. BUMMER!!! I know this is Bartlesville and a small home closed down recently. But we just converted the old Hotel Phillips one block from this development to senior housing. It has somewhere between 80 and 90 units and seemed to be a good fit for the building. It will be four stories, but I already have a feeling this is going to be horrendous. In all fairness this lot is kind of going to be on an island. The Post office is to the north, industrial buildings/railroad to the west, sub $30K homes to the south, and a big empty lot to the east. On the upside (this only assumes that working people lived here) the IC Building (COP) is only a block away and the Phillips & Adams buildings are only 2-3 blocks away.

I also thing the developer is getting hosed on the sale price. $6.25/s.f. is pretty pricey. I understand it is a large cleared lot, but that would make each individual lot (50’x140’) $43,750. Pretty sure the houses on theses lots were worth nowhere near this, and the lot does not front the highly trafficked Adams Blvd. For goodness sake the city bought the property $2.22/s.f. in 2006. I doubt it has appreciated that much in five years. Oh, well. I’m sure they will “make it right” some other way.

This is my opinion only, but I believe Bartlesville has a shortage of market rate apartments. Especially for young new single ConocoPhillips employees. A few years ago one of the major builders in town built the Price Lofts in the far south side of town. They are cramped in my opinion. Lofts are not supposed to be cramped, it’s just wrong. But they ask for and get premium rent for them. They offer the amenities that young very well paid people want (i.e. they are new). New hires would like to live close to work but it is virtually impossible with the limited non-ghetto selection.

So my question is, how do developments like the senior homes above keep getting financing assistance, when it would seem we have plenty of stock in that category. Also, why does it seem that market rate (small scale) apartments are not a profitable venture? Are they not right now? In every other large city, rentals are going up a mile a minute. I don’t think we need a huge complex or anything. Price Lofts for example only constructed 24 units with rents starting at $810 for a one bed unit. That ain’t cheap. And Taylor Homes (the developer) spares no expenses. They are also constructing suburban for sale condos that start well over $200K. Will be interesting to see how these pan out.

Is that what it takes, some people with money to lose to be the first to stick their toe in the water?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »

Well, it's nice to here something's happening here. Not really much new outside of expected completion dates. Do you think Bartlesville has enough going on that I should more some of this to the Development & New Business thread, or is that only for Tulsa proper?

Steady progress being made on The Johnstone
By Emily Droege

edroege@examiner-enterprise.com

One of the best-known buildings in the area is on its way to becoming an anchor of the community — again.

Current owners of the iconic brick structure at the corner of Johnstone Avenue and Frank Phillips Boulevard are working to make the building a lively part of the downtown Bartlesville scene, a role it held for more than a century.

The former May Brothers Building – now called The Johnstone – has undergone extensive repair and renovation since it was heavily damaged in an August 2009 fire.

“It has gone slower than we’d like, but that’s part of the construction business,” said Crystal Sare of Centennial Restorations, which owns The Johnstone and the adjacent 1904 Building. “The record-setting snow and then the heat in the summer did play a factor. We also want to do this right, so the building can be in the community for at least another hundred years.”

While an official grand opening for the revitalized three-story building has yet to be announced, Sare indicated that the refurbishing process could be complete by spring of 2012.

“As we move in to next year, the community will start to see more visible progress,” she said.

One longtime resident with direct ties to the structure is especially enthused about the ongoing developments being made by the Sare Family.

“I’m so excited by what the Sares are doing to the building,” said retired business owner Mike May. “Once the work is complete, the public will see that the building will be the crown jewel of the community.”

For several decades, May owned the building May Brother’s Clothing Company, a family clothing business that was recognized as Oklahoma’s oldest clothing store operating at the same location under the same family management.

May’s father and uncle opened the clothing store on the ground floor corner of the newly complete three-story Johnstone building in 1910. The clothing shop’s grand opening came with great fanfare that included a band concert, free gifts for women and a wide offering in the finest fashions of men’s clothing.

Before retiring in 2008, May continued the family enterprise as an anchor of Bartlesville’s downtown commercial community. Then, two years later, in January 2010, a contract was signed between May and Clyde Sare — also a native Bartian – to transfer ownership of the May Brothers Building and Right Way Hotel Annex, popularly referred to as the 1904 Building. Both structures sustained damage in the 2009 fire.

Sare explained that he wanted to save the legendary structure from demolition so that one of the oldest treasures in the community could be preserved for future generations.

“No one was stepping up to the plate, and we didn’t want to see it torn down,” said Sare, who had an office in the building while serving as a state representative during the 1960s.

As part of the renovation process, the Sares explained that the building will be significantly more efficient to operate. In addition, the roof deck of the building will become a useable space for social gatherings and events.

The deck is estimated to be about 3,000 square feet, or nearly half the total roof area, with the remainder roof area used to hold mechanical equipment.

”You get a spectacular view of the whole town up here. I imagine this will really be popular during the summertime for receptions and to watch fireworks,” said Sare.

In addition, he explained that the “May Brothers” section of the building is being designed for restaurant use. He anticipates that a coffee bar will be in the lobby area, complete with a fountain, chandelier and plenty of seating.

To enhance a modern look and provide a feeling of openness, he said that the lobby will have plenty of glass and windows.

“It’s going to give off tons of light, and there will be lots of windows to look out of,” he said.

The Sares also said that a walkway will most likely be added between The Johnstone and the 1904 Building, with enclosed walkways will also be constructed on the second and third floors. An ADA compliant elevator has recently been installed, according to Sare.

Although specifics on possible building tenants are not yet ready to be announced, Crystal Sare said that there are “several interested parties” who are keen to occupy portions of the two structures.

The Johnstone was built based on the Chicago style of architecture, a popular commercial style at the turn of the 20th century, where technologies of steel-frame construction were promoted. During the rehabilitating phase, a sturdy superstructure was found.

“The vertical supports are sunk in solid limestone,” she said. “That’s why the building remained standing after the fire.”

As the Sare Family steadily continues the rehabilitation work on the beloved building, they said they’re looking forward to showing the community the finished product in the next year.

“We are near at point where the progress will become more noticeable by the public and the community will start to see a bigger, more aesthetic change,” said Crystal Sare.

“It’s going to be first-class and something really special,” said May. “I’m appreciative of the Sares’ efforts to preserve this building. I think my dad would be thrilled to know what’s being done.”

------------------------------------------------------
Shockingly, we have no downtown coffee shops. Java Dave's closed down over a year ago. Although it was replaced by a local favorite Quench Buds. Plus, it's tough to compete when Conoco Phillips has a Starbucks in its cafeteria.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:01 am »

Ok, haven’t done this in a while so here goes:

Article in the paper states that Bartlesville is getting a Schlotzky’s. Which I know isn’t a big deal at all except for I like them and I thought for a stretch they were going to shut down all together. Now some family in Stilly is going to open 6 in smaller cities: Stillwater, Enid, Bartlesville, Owasso, Lawton & Ardmore. I know Tulsa used to have several but were down to 2 at one point. I did notice one go in across from the Promenade though, so maybe they are making a comeback. Always was sad to see the one in Stillwater closed and replaced with one more Subway when I was in school.

New Developments:

City Facilities - The city is hoping to upgrade its central police and fire facilities. They want to combine the two at one location (the current central fire) and expand the current facilities to accommodate both. Doesn’t really matter to me, although it would be nice to get the police station out from in front of the ballpark. Just saying.

Old Voice of Martyrs Headquarters – Don’t know if any of you know what the VOM is, but basically they try to provide relief to persecuted Christians around the world. Apparently Christianity isn’t accepted quit as well in other countries. Anyways, since VOM has built their new mega-church esque facilities on the edge of town, their old HQ is empty. I’m not sure who is responsible for its current state (http://www.flickr.com/photos/army_arch/3055577945/) but yikes. In its day, it was far more attractive http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=184540938259028&set=a.184540931592362.40985.184538088259313&type=1&theater. Plans are for ground floor commercial and upper floor residential. Good news for this eyesore for sure.

Old Memorial Hospital – Apparently this one isn’t dead yet. It was actually sold to a developer with plans for market rate apartments. They are in the process of having the building placed on the National Register of Historic Places in order to qualify for the tax credits. Obviously this project was going to be costly so hopefully they get all the help they can. Don’t have a picture of this one either so http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevijo/4477217258/.
Upstairs Residential conversions are also planned for the Sweet Lou’s building and the Pythias Buildnig. Slowly all the upstairs spaces are being converted. Soon there won’t be any left. Hopefully that will be the tipping point, and we may see more new construction in the area.

Updates:

The Johnstone – Seems to be moving slow. They are working on the electrical now. Rumors have been shifting all the time on who the occupants will be. Now they seem to be pointing toward an independent book store and coffee shop as the primary ground floor tenants. As far as I know the upstairs is still going to be office space as it was before. A book store would be awesome. Since Borders shut down, the only thing that resembles a book store in Bartlesville is Hastings. Sad but true. I’ve always been jealous that Ponca City (where I grew up – Conoco town) has had such a great local book store, Brace Books & More. Hopefully someone with the same passion for books can pull that off here too.

Kress Building – This one is done from what I can tell and always seems to have a crowd every time I go buy. It is a unique space downtown. Primarily it hosts the Frank Phillips Club. But they also have parties, gallery viewings, and whatever else you could imagine. The owner has really done an amazing job here and really did his homework on the building. We need a dozen just like him.

Old City Hall – Work is almost complete downstairs and they plan on working upstairs to renovate the old apartments. More residential is always good. Far as I know there is one tenant (a salon) and the other half is vacant.

Buffalo Run Townhomes – Two buildings are complete (8 out of 12 units). I have no idea what the going rate is or if they are even available yet. Interesting to see what they can get in a very transitional neighborhood.

New Business:

Cup’N’Cake Cupcakery – Relatively new, but now has a storefront downtown. I know Bartlesville will always be a laggard on the trends, so here we are, three cupcake shops downtown. Two actually share a wall right next to each other. I’ve had all three and would rank them Sugarica, Cup’N’Cake, then Baby Cakes. Oh well, I have a sweet tooth, so I’m not complaining too much.

Springpoint Technologies – opened up across from the COP IC Building. With the split going on, they have been hiring IT people right and left, so this is a direct result of that. The split was official last Tuesday, so now Bartlesville has 2 fortune 500 companies with a  presence downtown, just like that.

ChateLaine Boutique – Trendy women’s clothing store opened in the ITIO Building. Looks like clothing young women would wear and very trendy, so good enough for me I guess. Any new retail right now is good retail.

Old Business:

Falafel Avenue Closed – Poorly run, under-funded unusual food places I doubt will ever make it here, or anywhere for that matter. Not a big loss, this space doesn’t seem to be working particularly well for anyone with 2 closings in less than a year.

Oh, KIDDIE PARK IS OPEN!!!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:57 pm »

Ok, haven’t done this in a while so here goes:

Article in the paper states that Bartlesville is getting a Schlotzky’s. Which I know isn’t a big deal at all except for I like them and I thought for a stretch they were going to shut down all together. Now some family in Stilly is going to open 6 in smaller cities: Stillwater, Enid, Bartlesville, Owasso, Lawton & Ardmore. I know Tulsa used to have several but were down to 2 at one point. I did notice one go in across from the Promenade though, so maybe they are making a comeback. Always was sad to see the one in Stillwater closed and replaced with one more Subway when I was in school.

Schlotsky's appears to have changed the bread.  It is NOT the same.  And it was not a change for the better... big mistake.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »

I've been looking at photographs of abandoned buildings in various cities, and it struck me that as we demolish or renovate old structures, we're also destroying some of our history.  I'm trying to photograph old structures around Owasso before they're over run by new development. It's something that each of us can do in our own way.  There's a Lost Tulsa on Flickr, and it would be easy to start an Abandoned Bartlesville or Abandoned Owasso group.   

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:14 am »

Schlotsky's appears to have changed the bread.  It is NOT the same.  And it was not a change for the better... big mistake.

WHAT!

It has been awhile since I have been to the ones in Tulsa (about a year or so). I didn't notice anything different then. That's too bad.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 09:55:12 am »

I've been looking at photographs of abandoned buildings in various cities, and it struck me that as we demolish or renovate old structures, we're also destroying some of our history.  I'm trying to photograph old structures around Owasso before they're over run by new development. It's something that each of us can do in our own way.  There's a Lost Tulsa on Flickr, and it would be easy to start an Abandoned Bartlesville or Abandoned Owasso group.   

That would be cool. Good idea.

I lived in Owasso for a stretch. When my parents visited for the first time, they were like "Show us downtown." I was like "are you sure". So there we went. all of one block or so. They were blown away that a town that size didn't have a real downtown. I had to explain to them that Owasso was no bigger than Tonkawa not that long ago. Of course, Tonkawa does have a real downtown. I never understood what happened to any old buildings in Owasso.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 10:56:38 am »

WHAT!

It has been awhile since I have been to the ones in Tulsa (about a year or so). I didn't notice anything different then. That's too bad.

He’s being a moron, the original bread is still the same.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:25 pm »

On our weekend travels, we see a lot of those places in many of the little towns around Tulsa (100 mile circle).  Many times it is very sad to see these things go.  Broken Arrow has an old house on main street that was built around 1915 or so that is just sitting in place rotting (just north of Stinchcomb photography).

Hominy has the old city hospital that has been partially converted to a house.  Very cool old building.

There is an old hotel in Nowata that is now boarded up, so I think it is being worked on.  The sign on the side says, "Radium Baths", with an arrow pointing downstairs to what was a public bath.

Lots of this stuff around.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 12:19:14 pm »

He’s being a moron, the original bread is still the same.

Go to BA and check it out.  It is NOT the same.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 03:13:35 pm »

That would be cool. Good idea.

I lived in Owasso for a stretch. When my parents visited for the first time, they were like "Show us downtown." I was like "are you sure". So there we went. all of one block or so. They were blown away that a town that size didn't have a real downtown. I had to explain to them that Owasso was no bigger than Tonkawa not that long ago. Of course, Tonkawa does have a real downtown. I never understood what happened to any old buildings in Owasso.

I've visited the Owasso Historical Society's museum on Main Street a couple of times.  The volunteers are knowledgeable AND talkative.  They gave me some old calendars that show the dairies and other businesses that were here.  Most of the oldest buildings were wood construction and they're long gone.  But they've interested me in visiting some of the other town museums in the area.  Over the summer, I'm planning to do that.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 07:55:21 am »

I've visited the Owasso Historical Society's museum on Main Street a couple of times.  The volunteers are knowledgeable AND talkative.  They gave me some old calendars that show the dairies and other businesses that were here.  Most of the oldest buildings were wood construction and they're long gone.  But they've interested me in visiting some of the other town museums in the area.  Over the summer, I'm planning to do that.

Oologah has a little town museum on their main street - Cooweescoowee Street.  Kind of neat little place.  We go there about once every year or two just to look around a little bit.

And someone has gone completely insane - selling 5 (tiny) lots on C and Maple for 1.2 million.  Or trying to....
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/13535348/Cooweescoowee-Street-Maple-Street-Oologah-OK/

Must be something in the water up there.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 09:01:25 am »

I've been looking at photographs of abandoned buildings in various cities, and it struck me that as we demolish or renovate old structures, we're also destroying some of our history.  I'm trying to photograph old structures around Owasso before they're over run by new development. It's something that each of us can do in our own way.  There's a Lost Tulsa on Flickr, and it would be easy to start an Abandoned Bartlesville or Abandoned Owasso group.    

When I first read this I thought it would be a good idea. But apparently Bartlesville is either really good at keeping up with maintenance on old buildings or they tear them down before they become forgotten. Off the top of my head I could only come up with two properties that I think are even close to being on the verge of being forgotten. So consider this the sad tiny little start to Abandoned Bartlesville.

Pawn Shop Building

The property has been vacant since the 90's and is currently owned by the city. It even made it's way into the most recent comprehensive downtown "Master Plan" as a catalyst project or something. They have been marketing it for some time but it is in severe disrepair. Also, it is on 2nd street (a street with a rail road at one terminus and a dead end at the other) therefore it does not get the traffic that something on Frank Phillips or even Johnstone or Dewey would get. You have to be going to 2nd Street in order to have driven on that street. And right now just about all that is on 2nd street that draws a significant amount of people is Frank & Lola's. In addition, that whole block on 2nd between Keeler and Johnstone is pretty much vacant outside of a salon and HQ for a site maintenance company.

Ideal Cleaners Building

This building is purported to be the oldest existing building in the city. This property has not been vacant near as long. Ideal Cleaners closed in 2010 or 2011 (I can't remember exactly) after being in business since the 50's. The building has hosted a dry cleaning business since the 20's. The building was actually auctioned off last year, and I actually have been hearing that plans are in the work to fix the roof. So hopefully that's a good sign.

Anyways, it's a start. I'm sure there are some buildings on the west side that are being neglected, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that are significant enough to warrant any discussion. Maybe a couple of warehouses or something.

Can someone explain why my photos are not working when I try to insert them directly into the message? I tried mine from Flickr and just some random ones from Photobucket and it just shoes the broken link.

Edit: Thanks for the tip Hoss. So what is the point of the Insert Image function anyways? Does it work in any circumstances?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:50:30 am by erfalf » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 09:13:55 am »

When I first read this I thought it would be a good idea. But apparently Bartlesville is either really good at keeping up with maintenance on old buildings or they tear them down before they become forgotten. Off the top of my head I could only come up with two properties that I think are even close to being on the verge of being forgotten. So consider this the sad tiny little start to Abandoned Bartlesville.

Pawn Shop Building

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82103044@N05/7523310418/in/set-72157630469529774

The property has been vacant since the 90's and is currently owned by the city. It even made it's way into the most recent comprehensive downtown "Master Plan" as a catalyst project or something. They have been marketing it for some time but it is in severe disrepair. Also, it is on 2nd street (a street with a rail road at one terminus and a dead end at the other) therefore it does not get the traffic that something on Frank Phillips or even Johnstone or Dewey would get. You have to be going to 2nd Street in order to have driven on that street. And right now just about all that is on 2nd street that draws a significant amount of people is Frank & Lola's. In addition, that whole block on 2nd between Keeler and Johnstone is pretty much vacant outside of a salon and HQ for a site maintenance company.

Ideal Cleaners Building
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82103044@N05/7523310048/in/set-72157630469529774/

This building is purported to be the oldest existing building in the city. This property has not been vacant near as long. Ideal Cleaners closed in 2010 or 2011 (I can't remember exactly) after being in business since the 50's. The building has hosted a dry cleaning business since the 20's. The building was actually auctioned off last year, and I actually have been hearing that plans are in the work to fix the roof. So hopefully that's a good sign.

Anyways, it's a start. I'm sure there are some buildings on the west side that are being neglected, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that are significant enough to warrant any discussion. Maybe a couple of warehouses or something.

Can someone explain why my photos are not working when I try to insert them directly into the message? I tried mine from Flickr and just some random ones from Photobucket and it just shoes the broken link.

Use the 'share' button, then grab the bbcode link and copy/paste directly into the post.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 12:35:12 pm »

Ok, it's been a while...but here is an update from your Northern neighbors

New Developments:

Right Way Annex (211 S. Johnstone) – It looks like they have started the renovation of the Annex. This building is also owned by Centennial Development, the same people doing the renovation on the adjacent “The Johnstone”. The façade on the first floor has been completely removed. There will be two separate store fronts facing Johnstone.

Right Way Annex by erfalf, on Flickr

From Facebook (Downtown Bartlesville, Inc.)

NIPPER – Just rezoned the other day  from Industrial to Residential. A developer is going to attempt to convert the site to 38 low-income residential units. The NIPPER site’s history dates back to 1918. The Bureau of Mines was established and this was HQ. It was used as administrative offices and research and testing facilities. It has been vacant for some time and eventually the site was set for sale to private enterprise. I’m pretty sure there is going to be some major remediation issues with this site. But they are setting up a TIF district for this project, and it will get historic tax credits as well as supplementation for renting to low income tenants. For those that don’t know, the west side of Bartlesville (west of the rail road tracks that is) is an extremely depressed neighborhood. There were several smelter plants around 14th & Virginia and many of the workers lived nearby in very small houses. Recently there has been a push to save the west side. I look at it as more of a humanitarian effort than an economic development thing. It’s just the way people in Bartlesville are. This site is two blocks north of the newly renovated Frontier Pool.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=220+N.+Virginia+Avenue,+Bartlesville,+OK&hl=en&ll=36.753929,-95.986261&spn=0.006868,0.009645&sll=36.747311,-95.980818&sspn=0.219803,0.308647&t=h&gl=us&hnear=220+N+Virginia+Ave,+Bartlesville,+Oklahoma+74003&z=17

Historic Photo

Employability – Somehow this one has slipped under the radar (probably because it is on the so called wrong side of the tracks). Its history goes back a ways. Originally the “Mothers of Retarded Children”, Washington County ARC was formed in 1966. They opened a thrift store in order to fund programs for mentally disabled children. I could be wrong but I believe they also offer paper shredding and recycling services. They recently changed there name to Employability, Inc. They also built a new office type building over on the east side. But this will be a warehouse that will house all of the companies businesses. It will be 18,000 s.f. The employees are those with mental challenges. It’s really a pretty cool thing they do in town here. I know my office uses them for paper shredding in particular.

City Facilities – Bonds passed. So it looks like we are getting a new Police & Fire HQ. I'll expand on this later.

Updates:

The Johnstone – STILL working on this one, although it was a major renovation, it seems to have taken forever. The interior of the smaller space has some really cool wall treatments/built ins. The rumor is a bookstore and coffee shop. If so that would be great. Currently the only place to purchase books in town is Walmart and Hastings. Hastings ain’t bad, but no one there has a clue what you are talking about when you are trying to find books. It certainly doesn’t look like a restaurant in the larger space on the corner.

Old Grocery Store – One for rent sign up (thought all the spaces were taken. Don’t know any tenants. But they are getting close to complete, just building out for tenants. This was a pretty major renovation, complete gut job. The building looks way nicer, and since it was a bit of an eye sour before, a welcome change to Frank Phillips Ave.

210 E. 4th – Saw them working today. Don’t know what is going in. This was an auto oriented building that has a garage door in front. It was on our little auto alley back in the day where all the filling stations and garages were located. They have fixed up the exterior façade somewhat. Another eyesore removed.

New Businesses:

Shorties Grille Food Truck – First food truck in downtown, or Bartlesville for that matter. Although it couldn’t be further away from where it needs to be. Right now they park in a lot at Cherokee and 2nd Street. It’s about the furthest lunch option available downtown. In addition it is extremely hot this summer, and I don’t know how many are willing to stick it out. An article last month said he was getting 20-30 customers a day for lunch and early evening. Kind of low if you ask me. Compared to Rolling Pin who will do over 150 tickets a day, sometimes over 200. And they only serve breakfast and lunch, but most of the business is lunch. I hope it works and I hope it means that more will be allowed.

Emily Potts Photography – First off, let me say Emily is really good at what she does. That being said, I am extremely excited to see her opening up her first location outside of her home in downtown Bartlesville. She is taking over the old space that a recent defection left (Autumn Sun Productions). Bringing back the tin ceilings and making a sweet studio. She has been getting a lot of business lately as well from Bartlesville Monthly magazine. I believe she does most, if not all, of the photos for the monthly magazine.

Coran Deo Classical Academy – So apparently Bartlesville has another private school in town. I always forgot about this one. It was on the south edge of town and it was called American Christian School. They offer a “classical” education. It’s pretty small and only K-6. They are moving close to downtown at Virginia and Frank Phillips. Good for the west side.
Taj-The Flavor – This is pretty cool actually. Taj (same as the one in Promenade) is opening a temporary store front for three days. I guess to feel out Bartlesville. They will be doing it in the old Sweet Lou’s building. I think since Lou’s closed they have been using it as a temporary store for several things, in particularly an art gallery during OK Mozart. While I’m not an Indian food fan, this is cool to see Tulsans taking a shot at Bartlesville. People here are ready for some good food, anything to release us from the mediocrity that abounds.

Closures:

Autumn Sun Productions – closed down so owners could pursue professional music career in Tulsa. They did Bite Size Broadway where children would put on Musicals. It’s not a gigantic loss as we still have Children’s Musical Theaters, but sad nonetheless.

Baby Cakes – Could have seen this one coming. It was the odd man out in the cupcake arms race. It was actually pretty weird to see two cupcake places right next door to each other.

The Bartlesville Convention & Visitor's Bureau has finally updated their website. It is decidedly more sleek but still seems to be working out the kinks. http://www.visitbartlesville.com/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org