A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:42:46 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona immigration law drafted by private prison Co.  (Read 3911 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: October 28, 2010, 11:23:53 am »

Well, now.  Look at that.  Who'd'a thunk that a restrictive immigration bill might create a a new market for law enforcement products? 

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130833741

jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:13 am »

I could care less who drafted law. Its does not change the fact it is still a good law.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »

It might be a good Federal law IF there were the right provisions, like making it a criminal AND civil felony for top executives of a corporation that hired illegals.  That would make the trafficking in illegal workers disappear overnight.  But we wouldn't want a corporation to be exposed to any of the consequences of their actions, would we?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:08:32 pm »

Actually there is no "new law", just extended powers of enforcement of the existing law.  Now that we know without a doubt that the federal government has no intension of enforcing their own laws, individual states are charged to protect themselves from foreign invaders. Meanwhile, the federal government spends millions of dollars suing the states for enforcing the federal law.  Why can't we have a collaborative effort to protect our borders?  Oh, Yeah!  Politics.

The signs are a big help though.  Translation:  We won't protect you, so be warned!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:10:52 pm »

Concealed carry is your friend!!  Now, how do I conceal that AK-47 that I need to carry?

We don't enforce the law because we want cheap labor more than 'security'.  We invite them - by the millions - every day!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:12:02 pm »

Concealed carry is your friend!!  Now, how do I conceal that AK-47 that I need to carry?

We don't enforce the law because we want cheap labor more than 'security'.  We invite them - by the millions - every day!

I agree!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:14:16 pm »

Careful, Gaspar!!  You are treading on thin ice!   Agreeing with the likes of me?

What is the world coming to?  Pretty soon there will be cats consorting with dogs, gays wanting equal rights, and a general breakdown of civilized society!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:16:23 pm »

Well, now.  Look at that.  Who'd'a thunk that a restrictive immigration bill might create a a new market for law enforcement products? 

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130833741

What!  Are you telling me that special interest groups are involved in the legislative process?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:04 pm »

Only since 1643.

dbacks fan
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:25:48 pm »

Actually there is no "new law", just extended powers of enforcement of the existing law.  Now that we know without a doubt that the federal government has no intension of enforcing their own laws, individual states are charged to protect themselves from foreign invaders. Meanwhile, the federal government spends millions of dollars suing the states for enforcing the federal law.  Why can't we have a collaborative effort to protect our borders?  Oh, Yeah!  Politics.

The signs are a big help though.  Translation:  We won't protect you, so be warned!

It may seem like a funny sign, but the phone number at the bottom is the phone number to the BLM in Arizona, and there is an understood warning that if you travel in the southern part of the state that this can happen.

While not the dramatic events of the Mexican Cartel having hitmen in the US it does happen
http://www.ktar.com/category/local-news-articles/20101028/Babeu-says-Casa-Grande-shooting-is-cartel-%60hit'/

and this is not an isolated hit. There have been others here in Phoenix and Tucson, Douglas, Nogales, and other parts of the state.

Not to be a fear monger, but if you live in Phoenix and want to drive to San Diego, most people are apt to drive into CA on I-10 to the Riverside area then head southwest through Orange County towards Dana Point, Laguna Beach, and then head south on I-5 or the PCH to San Diego.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:08:20 pm »

What!  Are you telling me that special interest groups are involved in the legislative process?

You always hear "police just enforce laws, not make them" but your not supposed to pay attention to what the big police unions and their lobbyists do behind the curtain.
It's not coincidence that, for example, America had an "epidemic" of red light running right about the time that Sperry began marketing red-light cameras, so whoda thunk?

The irony of this report coming from NPR is not lost, either...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:15:05 pm »

You always hear "police just enforce laws, not make them" but your not supposed to pay attention to what the big police unions and their lobbyists do behind the curtain.
It's not coincidence that, for example, America had an "epidemic" of red light running right about the time that Sperry began marketing red-light cameras, so whoda thunk?

The irony of this report coming from NPR is not lost, either...

Redlight cameras, and mobile speed cameras have been in use in the Phoenix area for almost 20 years. So when did Sperry (Sperry-Rand Corp?) start the red light brigade?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 01:38:18 pm »

Hey, everyone... you do remember that we put up a sign at the front door??

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

If we don't mean it, maybe we should take down the invitation?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:54 pm »

Ok, lest I be accused of taking things out of context, here is the entire front door invite.
We are the golden door!  (At least until the two-party system took it away from us!)

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name,
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »

Appeals court upholds block on parts of Ariz. law

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/appeals-court-upholds-justice-challenge-on-ariz-law/2011/04/11/AFbyUKLD_story.html?wpisrc=nl_natlalert

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit upheld a lower court ruling that put on hold key provisions of the Arizona law, which empowers police to question people whom they have a “reasonable suspicion” are illegal immigrants. The measure has triggered a fierce national debate.

In the 2-1 decision, the court found that U.S. District Judge Susan R. Bolton “did not abuse” her discretion in blocking parts of that law that would, among other things, require police to check immigration status if they stop someone while enforcing other laws.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org