A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:08:12 am
Linked Events
  • Bixby BBQ & Music Festival: May 06, 2011 - May 07, 2011

• Registrations have closed
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 Bixby BBQ & Music Festival  (Read 22440 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 05:59:08 pm »

We are waiting Gaspar. How do you do?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:38 pm »

Festival was a good time.  Had limited time to play, but was a lot of fun for a couple hours!  

Well, Gaspar, I finally got to see what it is all about.  Not sure which sauce the booth was using, but it was pretty good.  (Still have the bottle of Razzy I haven't had time to use; maybe this week.)  The brisket inside the crust was juicy, tender and tasty.  I got a piece that was one of those "bad hair day" barks on the outside, but when I got inside, it was good!  Like the cherry cobbler a lot, too!  There was a guy standing about 3 or 4 people behind me with a Marshall's T-shirt, so I was wondering if he was the Marshall's fan who posts here.  Only T-shirt like that I have seen yet.  Didn't try to say hi, 'cause you all looked busy.  And there were knives!

There were 3 booths that all were very close and I enjoyed quite a bit.  Yours, Big Daddy's, and "something Mesquiter's" - can't remember which.  Jakes was pretty good (better in the store) but that doesn't count, 'cause they do it for a living.  Could have gone in any direction until I found my tie-breaker.  Goes to the basic premise that for really great bbq, you gotta find an old Black man.  Big Anthony's.  Pretty close, overall between.

Here are some results, not sure who/what/when this is - there are no People's Choice results;

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106029

I noticed Rib Crib was up off the bottom in some categories.  Just goes to show how...well, it's not important...wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Obviously I didn't agree with ANY of the judges in any category.  The one's I mentioned should all have been in top 10 to 15.  Overall, though, with the exception of just a few - and I truly am sorry to those whose toes I am getting ready to step on - keep the day job!  And people, LOSE the Ranch Style beans - they always taste like - and probably are - from a can!!  Come on, now!  If you can't come up with your own, then leave the beans at home!  And a little bit of anything one throws in on them can not cover the taste of Ranch Style beans!  (Not that I don't enjoy them at home, I do, but not in this context!)

To disparage only a little, the judges would probably have put this in the middle of the pack, too.  (We need this restaurant here to show all the others how it should be done.)

http://www.commissarybbq.com/menu

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:14:13 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »

Okay. I saw the results and someone is getting sued. No one treats a TNFer this way.  Grin

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 07:59:52 pm »

I don't get it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 05:44:49 am »

We got 2nd in people's choice, but had some serious exicution problems with our comp meats.  We were trying to cook too many briskets, and everything suffered from that. 9 briskets had a negative impact on our fuel and timing Sad.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Doyle50
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 06:11:32 am »

Its awesome event i ever seen before i personally like that show and its too much entertaining . Roll Eyes
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 06:53:27 am »

And when I said, I don't get it, I mean the results.

guido;  sic' em!!  I think there was something fishy going on....

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 07:45:30 am »

I think the results were spot on!  Donny Teel knows how to compete and I have tasted his stuff.  We had several failures in execution that caused us to be middle of the pack.  The event was a success and that's what we are always most happy about.

10 years ago, Bixby Rotary came to us and asked if we could help them set up a "cookoff" on a little picnic ground by the Arkansas River to raise money for Bixby Schools. . .

When we participate in this, it's like watching a child grow up. Cry (tears of joy!)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 08:55:29 am »

Heironymous, if it was a grey Marshall's shirt and it was waiting in line for the tasting to start at the 3GS tent, that was myself and the lovely FMC.  We enjoyed the event. 

Not sure if what was handed out for people's choice was the same as what was judged but there are some I saw up there on the official results which I thought was pure dog food and some I liked which was near the bottom.  As well, not all the team names were that memorable, we had a short list with team numbers we were keeping track of. 

We had a good time, sampled some good, decent, and awful cue, but had a great time doing it.  FMC is trying to con me into starting to do competitions but it looks like an expensive hobby to me.  I can nail it on a small scale, but really not sure how it would translate if I had to do several briskets, shoulders, ribs, etc. like Gaspar alluded to.  We also got in a nice 100 mile ride on the motorcycle just meandering around Tulsa, Creek, and Osage counties afterward.  It was a great day for a festival and motorcycle ride.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
joiei
City Father

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 11:43:05 am »

You guys all need to take the Judges Certification class that Bixby Rotary holds every year and then volunteer to be a judge in the tent to understand what the judges are looking for. 

Buffalo BBQ - Donny Teel from Sperry - is a great competitor and has a great bbq joint you can drive to in Sperry for lunch.   He is the guy who was Grand Champion.  And he competes every weekend somewhere.   

The judges have no idea of who they are judging and the teams have no idea of which judges will be judging their entries.   The rules for KCBS are a lot stricter  than MIM or ICBA.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:52:34 am »

Grey shirt, goatee.  Tall, skinny guy.  Probably you, then.  I was old guy probably 4 or 5 ahead.  Had my surfboard shirt on.

The event was a lot of fun.  Beautiful day, lots of good background music, some live I think, lot's of radio.  Great event Gaspar!

Buffalo, huh?  Sperry.  Guess I will have to go up there and check it out for real - I thought I tried them at the event, but now not so sure.  Looks like just the kind of place I love - trailer in a parking lot, next to the Daylight Donuts!  Best places in the world!

Motorcycle ride sounds good!  Must get mine running again.  Not that many shovelheads around these days, so maybe can draw some attention.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 11:55:44 am »

You guys all need to take the Judges Certification class that Bixby Rotary holds every year and then volunteer to be a judge in the tent to understand what the judges are looking for. 

I had no idea we could do that.  I might just try that next year then.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 12:21:47 pm »

I had no idea we could do that.  I might just try that next year then.

Judging is fun and you learn a lot about what is expected.  Bixby is always looking for good judges, so it Art of BBQ.  It is in September again this year and I will make sure to post a call for judges as soon as we start getting teams and judges registered.

That would be a great one for you to judge!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:46 pm »

Judging is fun and you learn a lot about what is expected.  Bixby is always looking for good judges, so it Art of BBQ.  It is in September again this year and I will make sure to post a call for judges as soon as we start getting teams and judges registered.

That would be a great one for you to judge!

Please do.  That can only help to make someone a better 'quer when you know what the judges look for.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 12:39:30 pm »

Gaspar. A buddy of mine here at work would have liked to got involved with the BBQ festival in Bixby. What all does it take to get started competing in these local events ? He makes great BBQ and would really enjoy competing.
Is it just a pride thing or is there money and prizes also ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org