A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:09:49 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wearable Camcorders  (Read 11269 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:27:21 am »

Actually, no I didn't.  You might ask first before assuming.

Grin

I was under the impression that at&t was forcing data plans on people who bought the Atrix. My bad. Now tell me how to avoid it. Wink (I wouldn't actually mind the contract, but keeping my existing data plan is most important)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 09:29:03 am »

You also had to take a 2 year contract to get it for a reasonable price and take one of at&t's ridiculous new data plans. Wink

Conan, it seems like for what you want, a good quality SD video recorder would be just fine. Tons of cell phones take good 480p video, but for longer life at the same or less weight and price, I'd bet there are better options.

and the cell phone plays music
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 09:33:48 am »

I was under the impression that at&t was forcing data plans on people who bought the Atrix. My bad. Now tell me how to avoid it. Wink (I wouldn't actually mind the contract, but keeping my existing data plan is most important)

I've had the data plan (previously from the iPhone); as far as the contract, no.

I avoid it because I have a corporate discount through my employer.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:06 am »

Just got me a Moto Atrix that does 720p recording, and will do 1080p recording with a firmware update later in the year.

Is there a case that lets you record while wearing it?  Iv'e liked Moto's phones but I think they are getting away from that.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 10:10:10 am »

Is there a case that lets you record while wearing it?  Iv'e liked Moto's phones but I think they are getting away from that.

Otterbox Defender.

http://www.otterbox.com/Motorola-ATRIX-4G-Defender-Series-Case/MOT2-ATRIX-20-E4OTR_A,default,pd.html

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 10:15:27 am »

I've had the data plan (previously from the iPhone); as far as the contract, no.

I avoid it because I have a corporate discount through my employer.
I used to get no contract upgrades also, but they took that away some years back. Now I have to take a 2 year to get the discount, although I can do one every six months still. It used to be unlimited upgrades with no contract. Those were the days. I've got a data plan from 2004, and they'd make me change it if I were to buy an Atrix, unfortunately. They have supposedly expanded the system that checks for iPhones without iPhone plans to some of the Android phones also.

Given that I pay $20 a month for unlimited data, 1500 messages, and no restrictions on what device I use it in, I'm not terribly interested in moving to a plan with a 2GB cap and no messages. Or getting into a fight with them about it when they try to move me to a new plan without my authorization.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 11:28:47 am »

I expect that the wearable camcorders will not always have the on/off switch in the on position.  It would eventually show that cops have regular civilian human driving habits too.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 02:24:24 pm »

I used to get no contract upgrades also, but they took that away some years back. Now I have to take a 2 year to get the discount, although I can do one every six months still. It used to be unlimited upgrades with no contract. Those were the days. I've got a data plan from 2004, and they'd make me change it if I were to buy an Atrix, unfortunately. They have supposedly expanded the system that checks for iPhones without iPhone plans to some of the Android phones also.

Given that I pay $20 a month for unlimited data, 1500 messages, and no restrictions on what device I use it in, I'm not terribly interested in moving to a plan with a 2GB cap and no messages. Or getting into a fight with them about it when they try to move me to a new plan without my authorization.

They obviously haven't quite gotten there with the Android yet; as I did my self-activation, they failed to indicate to me that iPhone data plans are exclusive (yet the same) from the other plans as far as product code.  I spent a little while trying to figure out why I couldn't register with MotoBlur until I called and they said I didn't have a data plan for the phone...I'll give AT&T's Level 1 support this much..they're consistent...consistently crappy.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:38 pm »

The race starts at approx. 10,000 ft. and I get to do about 14,000 feet of total ascent over 100 miles.  Less equipment and weight is appreciated in the thin air.  When I go out to do a three day mini camp in July, I'll likely film the three day segments so I can review the more technical parts of the course.  For that, it sounds like I can use something with 4-6 hours of record time mounted on my helmet.

Some of the Canon point and shoot cameras will accept the CHDK aftermarket software.  It offers a time lapse feature, taking one frame at a pre-set interval.  You'd have to power it from an external battery pack for 6 hours of operation.  Playing it back in a slideshow could compress the hours to a few dizzying minutes.

Just a thought.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 02:46:07 pm »

Some of the Canon point and shoot cameras will accept the CHDK aftermarket software.  It offers a time lapse feature, taking one frame at a pre-set interval.  You'd have to power it from an external battery pack for 6 hours of operation.  Playing it back in a slideshow could compress the hours to a few dizzying minutes.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip Ed.  I'll check my options. 

Are you working the stop in Ramona at Tulsa Tough this year?  They've changed the routes.  Last year's Sat route is on Sunday, Sunday's route with the Gran Fondo option is on Saturday.  I'm trying for the Deuce at TT this year as well.  That's the thing about doing two bucket list items in one year, you hope that doesn't mean you are getting too close to the bucket Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 06:11:17 pm »

Thanks for the tip Ed.  I'll check my options. 

Are you working the stop in Ramona at Tulsa Tough this year?  They've changed the routes.  Last year's Sat route is on Sunday, Sunday's route with the Gran Fondo option is on Saturday.  I'm trying for the Deuce at TT this year as well.  That's the thing about doing two bucket list items in one year, you hope that doesn't mean you are getting too close to the bucket Wink

I was in Ochelata, that garden spot of Northeast Oklahoma, last year.  One of the VFD guys pointed at a white van about 200 yards away and said, "See that van?  It's on the other side of town!"

I probably won't volunteer this time, though in all honestly, I haven't heard from the organizers yet.  Right now, I'm still having problems standing and walking at times, so I'm going to take it easy.  But I'll probably go and take photos somewhere.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »

Now watch the detective's union push for a ban on helmet cameras:

NEW YORK — An undercover detective who investigators said was off duty when he was recorded on video pounding on an SUV as a biker rally
spiraled into violence was arrested late Tuesday.

Wojciech Braszczok surrendered to face riot and criminal mischief charges, New York Police Department spokesman John McCarthy said.
The attorney, Phil Karasyk, had said Monday that the detective, a 10-year veteran of the police force, had only witnessed other bikers attacking the vehicle. But investigators discovered video evidence showing him throwing punches.

The arrest added to the complexities of the Sept. 29 episode, which authorities say began with a reckless motorcycle group ride on a Manhattan highway and ended with one motorcyclist run over and the driver dragged from his SUV and beaten on a street.

NYPD internal affairs investigators had initially been looking into the undercover detective's conduct because he didn't report until three days later that he had been at the rally. The expectation that police officers will act if they see crimes isn't the same for undercover officers.

The encounter, captured partly on a helmet-mounted video that was posted online, began when about two dozen riders slowed down, swarming the Range Rover after it bumped a biker on the West Side Highway.
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/nypd_cop_arrested_in_motorcycle_suv_assault_case
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org