A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:55:42 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wearable Camcorders  (Read 11268 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: April 05, 2011, 12:13:22 pm »

Geek-out time.

It's amazing how many people are using these things for their vacation camera, biking, skiing, etc.
$900 from Amazon.com is a bit steep for only 4 hours recording time in VGA, but the link has less expensive models:

http://www.amazon.com/Vievu-PVR-PRO-video-camera-Green/dp/B002E9HBGG

* Vievu.jpg (18.98 KB - downloaded 405 times.)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:28 pm »

This is what you want. For around $450.00 you can get the camera and a 32GB SDHC card and get about 10hours of video.

http://gopro.com/products/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDLoEiBsIOw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:49:54 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »

This is what you want. For around $450.00 you can get the camera and a 32GB SDHC card and get about 10hours of video.

Now that was cool, but I'd want something that clips to a shirt pocket rather than a helmet.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:13:06 pm »

Do you mean like this?

http://www.ktul.com/story/14380015/owasso-cops-will-soon-be-wearing-cameras?redirected=true

Someone already pointed out that the cameras are sure to 'malfunction' at the most inopportune times.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:10:49 pm »

I saw that on the news last night. Owasso P.D. is pimpin these things as the next big thing for Law enforcement.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:00 pm »

If you haven't already seen it, take a look at Carlos Miller's "Photography is Not a Crime" for some interesting stories of police reactions to citizens taking photographs and videos. 

http://www.pixiq.com/contributors/248

It should be interesting to see how this works when a defendant says the arresting officer had a camcorder pinned to his shirt.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:46:09 pm »

Any chance there's a personal HD cam with 12 hours recording time which isn't too cumbersome?  I got in to the Leadville Trail 100 mountain bike race later this summer and I'd love to capture all the punishment.  I'd like to think I can finish in less than 10 hours, but you never know what can happen Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:41:01 pm »

Do you mean like this?

Someone already pointed out that the cameras are sure to 'malfunction' at the most inopportune times.

.....something like that...or the one I posted at the top of the thread  Wink
Trying to introduce video that has been paused at critical times as evidence in a court of law has got to raise all sorts of red flags, so for honest police use you need to record continuously, and a 4-hour capacity isnt going to cut it.
But if I were making an epic surfing video or skydiving, that (or dback's HD camera) would be perfect.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:45:01 pm »

Any chance there's a personal HD cam with 12 hours recording time which isn't too cumbersome?  I got in to the Leadville Trail 100 mountain bike race later this summer and I'd love to capture all the punishment.  I'd like to think I can finish in less than 10 hours, but you never know what can happen Wink

Flash memory is so cheap these days, there's no reason not to have these with either 16 or 32Gb of memory, or a SDHC slot so you can add memory as your budget allows.  4Gb is just lame.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:44 pm »

Flash memory is so cheap these days, there's no reason not to have these with either 16 or 32Gb of memory, or a SDHC slot so you can add memory as your budget allows.  4Gb is just lame.
Buy a cell phone with HD video recording. N8 is $400 and comes with 32GB and has an SDHC slot. Plus it's a cell phone. You might need a microUSB battery pack to make it go 13 hours though. I think it's only rated at 5 or 6. Seems like four rechargeable AAs should at least double that time.

It probably wouldn't be too comfortable biking in a Scottevest, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:41:55 pm »

Buy a cell phone with HD video recording. N8 is $400 and comes with 32GB and has an SDHC slot. Plus it's a cell phone. You might need a microUSB battery pack to make it go 13 hours though. I think it's only rated at 5 or 6. Seems like four rechargeable AAs should at least double that time.

Just got me a Moto Atrix that does 720p recording, and will do 1080p recording with a firmware update later in the year.  It takes good video, but the zoom is digital so it creates some artifacting.  But zoomed out full the picture is pretty damn good.  Here's a sample:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkkqjx_uWEQ[/youtube]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 08:20:05 am »

Hoss. Your camera angle brought this video to mind.
This guy is great. Makes me laugh everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxH1CnYhd8

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 08:57:01 am »

The race starts at approx. 10,000 ft. and I get to do about 14,000 feet of total ascent over 100 miles.  Less equipment and weight is appreciated in the thin air.  When I go out to do a three day mini camp in July, I'll likely film the three day segments so I can review the more technical parts of the course.  For that, it sounds like I can use something with 4-6 hours of record time mounted on my helmet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 09:22:57 am »

Just got me a Moto Atrix that does 720p recording, and will do 1080p recording with a firmware update later in the year.  It takes good video, but the zoom is digital so it creates some artifacting.  But zoomed out full the picture is pretty damn good.  Here's a sample:
You also had to take a 2 year contract to get it for a reasonable price and take one of at&t's ridiculous new data plans. Wink

Conan, it seems like for what you want, a good quality SD video recorder would be just fine. Tons of cell phones take good 480p video, but for longer life at the same or less weight and price, I'd bet there are better options.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:21 am »

You also had to take a 2 year contract to get it for a reasonable price and take one of at&t's ridiculous new data plans. Wink

Conan, it seems like for what you want, a good quality SD video recorder would be just fine. Tons of cell phones take good 480p video, but for longer life at the same or less weight and price, I'd bet there are better options.

Actually, no I didn't.  You might ask first before assuming.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org