A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:13:16 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are license tag stickers obsolete?  (Read 6695 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: April 04, 2011, 11:38:48 pm »

MADISON — Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s budget calls for doing away with registration stickers on vehicle’s license plates.

Walker estimates the move would save about $800,000 over the two-year spending plan through printing and mailing costs.

State Transportation Secretary Mark Gottlieb told the Legislature’s budget committee on Monday that the stickers are anachronistic.

Rep. Dan Meyer asked Gottlieb whether ending the stickers would make life harder for police to check for expired registrations.

Gottlieb countered that he’s heard people steal registration stickers off plates and the only reliable way to determine whether a vehicle is properly registered is to run the license plate number.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:46:13 pm »

The thing to do with stickers, or as they are called here tabs, is to make them specific. In AZ the sticker now not only shows the month it expires, but the year, and it shows the actual plate number on the sticker, and is designed so that once it's applied, to get it off in one piece is almost impossible. So even if you were to get the sticker off, it won't match the tag that it is on.
Gonesouth1234
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:20:24 am »

The thing to do with stickers, or as they are called here tabs, is to make them specific. In AZ the sticker now not only shows the month it expires, but the year, and it shows the actual plate number on the sticker, and is designed so that once it's applied, to get it off in one piece is almost impossible. So even if you were to get the sticker off, it won't match the tag that it is on.

+1

I've had to replace several that were peeled off of the tag on the Hupmobile over the years, and sometimes the whole plate.  The cost is about $10 bucks, and a trip to the tag agency, including a couple of hours off work to get it done.
This won't stop theft, but might slow it down a little.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:09:50 am »

He is talking about saving $400,000 per year in a state with $5M vehicles. If they are charging even $10 a year, that cost is minimal.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:14:08 am »

If you were a less-than-honest person, the only thing you would have to match is the color, given normal traffic viewing distances.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:47:00 am »

It's pretty simple, for me anyway.  I started doing this when I lived in Texas (pre Texas and their window registration stickers) and continued it to Oklahoma:  use an X-acto knife and cut a cross-hatch into the sticker after you've applied it.  Makes it pretty difficult for thieves to reuse it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:36:17 pm »

It's pretty simple, for me anyway.  I started doing this when I lived in Texas (pre Texas and their window registration stickers) and continued it to Oklahoma:  use an X-acto knife and cut a cross-hatch into the sticker after you've applied it.  Makes it pretty difficult for thieves to reuse it.
I've done that for years.
dbacks fan
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:34:25 pm »

This is what I was refering to as all of the info on the tab......

They have three s shaped scribes from top to bottom so that you can't easily get it off in one piece.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:35:57 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:41:14 pm »

So what do you know, DB? Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
dbacks fan
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:30 pm »

Okay, I will tell the story one time. In 1983 I was working at the Vickers C-Store on 71st just east of Sheridan. At that time, the store did not have a cash register, and if you paid by credit card, it was the old fashioned credit card machine where you put the card in a slot, and then put a three part receipt slip over the card and ran the roller over it to make an imprint of the card, and to make sure the card was valid you had to look through a book with all of the invalid numbers. After all of that, which took about 45 seconds, you needed their tag number to put on the receipt. When you asked what the tag was, most people said "I don't know" so I made it the seven digit requirement to make a personal tag, and have had it since 1986 in Oklahoma, and since 1998 in Arizona.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 11:30:11 pm »

the old fashioned credit card machine where you put the card in a slot, and then put a three part receipt slip over the card and ran the roller over it to make an imprint of the card, and to make sure the card was valid you had to look through a book with all of the invalid numbers. After all of that, which took about 45 seconds, you needed their tag number to put on the receipt. When you asked what the tag was, most people said "I don't know" so I made it the seven digit requirement to make a personal tag, and have had it since 1986 in Oklahoma, and since 1998 in Arizona.
With a tag like that, you gotta have a story.  Grin

As recently as 2003 I had someone pull out an imprint machine. They didn't bother checking the book. Of course, I think they quit printing the book by that time. I should mention that this was at a national chain shoe store..just off Times Square in NYC. She who must be obeyed was not prepared for quite that much walking. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 12:11:39 am »

With a tag like that, you gotta have a story.  Grin

As recently as 2003 I had someone pull out an imprint machine. They didn't bother checking the book. Of course, I think they quit printing the book by that time. I should mention that this was at a national chain shoe store..just off Times Square in NYC. She who must be obeyed was not prepared for quite that much walking. Wink

If the POS machine is down or if they have a comms problem, back then that wasn't an uncommon practice.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 12:46:43 am »

If the POS machine is down or if they have a comms problem, back then that wasn't an uncommon practice.
It's still not. One of my clients still uses imprints exclusively. Of course, they almost always get paid by check or briefcase of cash, so it's rarely used.. Wink

dbacks fan
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 01:02:42 am »

I'm a sarcastic, observational humorist, that can take it, as well as give it, grew up in Tulsa from birth in 1963, and moved out in 1998. I love Tulsa, and it will always remain in my heart as where I am from, and I have family that rests in Tulsa, in Memorial Park, and there is a place there for me as well, next to my mother, and a brother.

I love Tulsa, have and will, and when I pass, I will reside where I came from.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:16:27 am »

I'm a sarcastic, observational humorist, that can take it, as well as give it, grew up in Tulsa from birth in 1963, and moved out in 1998. I love Tulsa, and it will always remain in my heart as where I am from, and I have family that rests in Tulsa, in Memorial Park, and there is a place there for me as well, next to my mother, and a brother.

I love Tulsa, have and will, and when I pass, I will reside where I came from.

What you don't realize is that their tag read "IDONTNO"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org