A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:05:53 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011.03.27 - Tulsa Oilers v Allen Americans  (Read 11598 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 11:27:01 am »

Now that I agree with.  Real hockey anyway.  I think the CHL is in trouble to begin with; several teams are defecting either to the lower SPHL or the Juniors (NAHL).

The CHL has screwed them-selves.....I bet they have some interesting meeetings very soon.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »

Well, if Tulsa ends up making a move, it wont be the AHL because of the proximity to OKC.  So if we do move from the CHL, I'd prefer the NAHL.  It's fun to watch and not expensive (but not cheap either).

Taylor got an earful from me last night.  This season is the last I'll follow them as long as either of those two has anything to do with the club.  He looked dumbfounded when I said it.

And I WON'T watch Junior hockey if it's the only game in town.  We've had pro hockey in this joint for years.

And I disagree about the move to the AHL.  Look at Houston, San Antonio and Austin and their proximity to each other.  Get Wichita in and we would not be much different.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 03:02:35 pm »

The CHL has screwed them-selves.....I bet they have some interesting meeetings very soon.....

Expansionitis.  When they took in all those teams from the SuHL (Macon, Huntsville, Columbus, Fayetteville NC, ad nauseum) they were doomed.  Started with six and never should have expanded more than 12.  They now have 18 teams of which 16 makes the playoffs.  Even NHL beat writers were making fun of the league.  So was I early on.  Well, I still do.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

les_stockton
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 03:30:22 pm »

Taylor got an earful from me last night.  This season is the last I'll follow them as long as either of those two has anything to do with the club.  He looked dumbfounded when I said it.

And I WON'T watch Junior hockey if it's the only game in town.  We've had pro hockey in this joint for years.

And I disagree about the move to the AHL.  Look at Houston, San Antonio and Austin and their proximity to each other.  Get Wichita in and we would not be much different.

But doesn't the AHL have a rule about new franchises can't be within 250 miles of each other, or are there other variables involved?  I admit that I don't know the details of the franchise rules.

-----
www.freewebs.com/stocktonunderground

www.twitter.com/les_stockton

http://www.flickr.com/people/les_stockton/

http://les-stockton.smugmug.com/

You do dat, you go to da box, you know, uh, two minutes by yourself, and you feel shame, you know, and then you get free. ~Denis Lemieux
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »

But doesn't the AHL have a rule about new franchises can't be within 250 miles of each other, or are there other variables involved?  I admit that I don't know the details of the franchise rules.

How can that be the case when San Antonio and Houston are well within that limit?  Hell, Austin is only 80 miles from SA.  That's about the same distance as us from OKC.

les_stockton
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 03:49:10 pm »

It may be a formula of proximity versus market size; something to do with advertising dollars.

-----

You do dat, you go to da box, you know, uh, two minutes by yourself, and you feel shame, you know, and then you get free. ~Denis Lemieux
les_stockton
Civic Leader

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 03:50:35 pm »

I'll add that I hope I'm wrong.  I'd love to have the AHL here.  I was just told early on that with OKC getting an AHL team, that it was not likely for us for a few years because of the size of our markets and our proximity.  I'd be curious what the exact rules are though.
I have no love for the current level of hockey we've seen.

-----

les_stockton
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 03:53:15 pm »

Thinking optimistically, we're going to have to come up with a name for the team.  Wont get the Oilers name.

-----

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »

Thinking optimistically, we're going to have to come up with a name for the team.  Wont get the Oilers name.

I think it will depend on what NHL team we wind up being affiliated with.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 04:43:38 pm »

I'll add that I hope I'm wrong.  I'd love to have the AHL here.  I was just told early on that with OKC getting an AHL team, that it was not likely for us for a few years because of the size of our markets and our proximity.  I'd be curious what the exact rules are though.
I have no love for the current level of hockey we've seen.

Proximity and size of markets makes that argument even less valid (not saying you're arguing the point Les, just making mine).  San Antonio and Austin have metro areas around 2 million people.  Houston's MSA is nearing 6 million.  If the AHL is trying to make that argument, just have them look south.  These 6 teams could have their own division for that matter.

bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 03:35:48 pm »

Go Oilers!! 1 more win to advance. Hope they get a big crowd Saturday. Seems like they haven't drawn that well in the playoffs so far at home.

Hoss, if they advance who will they play next?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »

Go Oilers!! 1 more win to advance. Hope they get a big crowd Saturday. Seems like they haven't drawn that well in the playoffs so far at home.

Hoss, if they advance who will they play next?

They don't draw well in the playoffs because they don't have the numbers of season ticket holders to pad the number.

Plus, Lund doesn't know how to market for poo.

And the matchup?  Either Texas or Odessa.  Odessa is up on the Brahmas 2 games to 1.  They could close them out tomorrow night.  Either one we get another home ice advantage (if we advance).  Although we saw what that got us in this series.  Home teams haven't won on their ice yet.  Hopefully that changes for us on Saturday.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:34:23 pm by Hoss » Logged

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 09:08:36 pm »

Should be easier to sell play-off tickets now that all teams are almost gaurenteed a spot....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »

OK, I was wrong.  they don't use strict bracketing, they re-seed after each round.  It gets complicated.

Our likely next opponent (if we win, not putting the cart before the horse here) will be Bossier-Shreveport if they can beat Arizona tonight (last I checked they were tied and BS was up on Arizona 2-1 in the series) which means we lose home ice advantage.  If by some miracle Arizona comes back to beat them in the series, we have home ice advantage again and will play the winner of the Odessa/Texas series.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org