A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:17:57 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend at The Mayo  (Read 16022 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: March 28, 2011, 07:52:53 am »

The wife and I spent the weekend at the Mayo.  We had some charity events downtown to participate in, and figured it would be nice to act like tourists and spend the weekend in the hotel.

I strongly recommended this for a number of reasons. 

1. The rooms are outstanding.  Big with fluffy beds and awesome views.
2. The food in the restaurant was great.  Best Eggs Benedict I've had in a long time.
3. The nightlife in the penthouse bar was great, and a bit on the wild side after 10.

Besides the late night crowd in the bar, it seems like we had the place to ourselves.  The valet said there were only a couple of other guests in the hotel, but there was a wedding reception in one of the ball rooms.  We were also the only diners in the restaurant on Saturday.

This hotel is a real jewel.  I hope the lack of business is not an indicator of its future.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:07:58 am »

The wife, a friend, and I were there Friday night for dinner and then drinks at the penthouse.

We found out that they just fired the California company running the hotel.

Trula's is undergoing some staff changes especially in the kitchen.  We were happy to find the food quality has improved since we stayed there NYE.

A friend of ours lives at the Mayo and said letting go of the CA company was a good idea.  There were some issues with them.

I'm really hopeful they continue to improve.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:07 am »

It was our anniversary, and the hotel made it very nice for us.  Bottle of good wine. . .Great room. . .Pleasant atmosphere.  We decided we are going to find more excuses to travel downtown for staycations.

Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34:57 am »

3. The nightlife in the penthouse bar was great, and a bit on the wild side after 10.

I was up there with a couple of friends that night.  It was fun.  The "scenery" in the bar was gorgeous.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:59:47 pm »

I was there too...we could have had a TN meeting.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »

I was up there with a couple of friends that night.  It was fun.  The "scenery" in the bar was gorgeous.

I've been there a few times...sometimes it has a relaxed vibe with just a handful of people (especially if the weather is bad and the patio is empty) and other times, especially if there is a wedding reception in the ballroom, it can be packed and crazy with people dancing and all kinds of people hanging out on the patio.  One of my favorite bars in Tulsa, along with White Owl and Vintage 1740.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 02:27:23 pm »

. . . Vintage 1740.

+1

OurTulsa
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:47:43 am »

I finally got up to the penthouse bar.   Freaking incredible!  Very nice atmosphere and the patio is spectacular.  My only request is that they provide some sort of small platform around the edge so one can see easily over the parapet as opposed to peeping through the ballisters or in my case standing on my tippie toes to see the city.  I will recommend this bar to anyone visiting the city - as well as Guapos just for the views.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »

Why are there 2 Mayo signs on different buildings?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:01 pm »

The feedback I have been getting indicates the Mayo better get their act together. Bad service, maintenance issues, and lousy food bode ill for this group. I thought the previous management was out of San Antonio. Good they are changing operators.

Ed....one's the Mayo Building and one is the hotel.

Gassie, I think the beds suck....at least my back ached the next day and I never have vertebra issues. Then again, maybe it wasn't the bed. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:53:30 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

The feedback I have been getting indicates the Mayo better get their act together. Bad service, maintenance issues, and lousy food bode ill for this group. I thought the previous management was out of San Antonio. Good they are changing operators.

They're doing fine.
dbacks fan
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »

Why are there 2 Mayo signs on different buildings?

One is the hotel, the other is an office building.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 03:58:24 pm »

One is the hotel, the other is an office building.

The one in the foreground is lofts, not offices.
dbacks fan
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:39 pm »

The one in the foreground is lofts, not offices.

It was offices at one time. I used to deliver furniture there in the 80's.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 06:44:50 am »

Ed....one's the Mayo Building and one is the hotel.

Gassie, I think the beds suck....at least my back ached the next day and I never have vertebra issues. Then again, maybe it wasn't the bed. 

Hm, I've always had quality service at the Mayo in Trula and in the Penthouse. The bartenders and waiters are friendly and knowledgeable. Also disagree about the beds, mine was amazingly comfy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org