A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:51:42 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "In God We Trust" on all federal buildings?  (Read 15226 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: March 23, 2011, 03:39:06 pm »

House panel considers 'In God We Trust'

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

The House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to vote Thursday on a measure to reaffirm “In God We Trust” as the national motto and to encourage its display on public buildings, including schools.

U.S. Rep. Randy Forbes, R-Virginia, is sponsoring the measure on the national motto, adopted in 1956.

Critics say the vote is purely political.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/17/house-panel-votes-on-in-god-we-trust/

To put this in the absurd light it deserves, consider the uproar if "In Allah We Trust" were proposed.  Or how about "In The Flying Spaghetti Monster We Trust."  Those who are incensed by opposition to their Christian beliefs and their incessant attempts to use the power of government to further those beliefs need to see this from the other side.   

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

Possibly guarding against this:

‘Unaffiliated’ is the fastest-growing religious group in many countries, data shows. The CNN Belief Blog takes a look at which countries may see declines in organized religion

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/23/religion-to-go-extinct-in-9-countries-experts-predict/?npt=NP1

Then where would the military get their wars?
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:00:42 pm »

As Bogart said at the end of "Casablanca": "We'll always have oil."

Or something like that.

Ed

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

House panel considers 'In God We Trust'

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

The House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to vote Thursday on a measure to reaffirm “In God We Trust” as the national motto and to encourage its display on public buildings, including schools.

U.S. Rep. Randy Forbes, R-Virginia, is sponsoring the measure on the national motto, adopted in 1956.

Critics say the vote is purely political.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/17/house-panel-votes-on-in-god-we-trust/

To put this in the absurd light it deserves, consider the uproar if "In Allah We Trust" were proposed.  Or how about "In The Flying Spaghetti Monster We Trust."  Those who are incensed by opposition to their Christian beliefs and their incessant attempts to use the power of government to further those beliefs need to see this from the other side.   

Why is it that whenever the word "God" is mentioned the first religion that comes to mind is "Christianity". Don't Jews, Deists, and even Muslims look to "God"?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:45:25 pm »

You wouldn't object to "In Allah We Trust" then, because it's just another name for God?

Ed

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:30:19 pm »

How about "In The Great Clockmaker We Trust?"  Since you mentioned Deists and all.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:19:09 pm »

What about Wiccan's Goddess?  Can that be allowed too?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23:10 pm »

"In the Flying Spaghetti Monster We Trust"...yeah!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:30:07 pm »

As an atheist may I suggest "Don't Trust Anyone"? Cheesy
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:29 pm »

Especially the clowns.  They scare me and little kids.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:18 am »

Why is it that whenever the word "God" is mentioned the first religion that comes to mind is "Christianity". Don't Jews, Deists, and even Muslims look to "God"?

Why is it that you feel the need to defend every single right wing nonsense lowest common denominator pandering crap idea that comes along?

It’s not about whose god it refers too, it’s that this law feels like something out of Pakistan.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45:16 am »

Why is it that you feel the need to defend every single right wing nonsense lowest common denominator pandering crap idea that comes along?

It’s not about whose god it refers too, it’s that this law feels like something out of Pakistan.

Because we are a nation of whiny little pu....., I mean cowards when it comes to expression of religious conviction which incidentally is at the heart of this country's founding. This "crap idea" offends you? Sheesh, steer clear of our Declaration of Independence" then because you may really crap yourself.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:50:13 am »

I actually think that's the most appropriate thing to have printed on any federal building.

+1

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 07:52:25 am »

Because we are a nation of whiny little pu....., I mean cowards when it comes to expression of religious conviction which incidentally is at the heart of this country's founding. This "crap idea" offends you? Sheesh, steer clear of our Declaration of Independence" then because you may really crap yourself.

Libs have been crapping themselves over the declaration of independence since it was penned. That's why we keep it under lock and key! 

We try, though unsuccessfully, to keep the crap off of it. Cheesy

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:57:42 am »

Actually the freedom of religion and the expression of those religions, or lack there of, are at the heart of this country's founding.  Which really means that you don't use the government and the law of the land to shove your personal beliefs down everyone elses throat.  It's bad enough that when someone steps outside the norm with their beliefs (and I'm not talking Charlie Sheen outside, just outside) all of the religious nuts try to shame them into admitting they are wrong, but it seems that you and those like you want to have the government do it as well.  Tell me, what is the purpose of having "In God We Trust" not only as our motto, but on every federal building as well?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org