A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:51:07 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red brick?  (Read 11068 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: March 07, 2011, 04:38:22 pm »

I've been photographing old buildings in and around Tulsa on the weekends, and I'm wondering why so many of them are constructed of red brick.  I assume that most were built around the same time, perhaps 80 to 100 years ago.  Many include some truly intricate brickwork not found in more modern buildings.  But why the enormous popularity of red?  It seems there are very few white or brown brick buildings.  The one below is Collinsville's city hall.

The armories are similar from town to town too.  They may be different scales but the pattern is largely the same.  Every one I've seen is made of sandstone.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:53:47 pm »

Red brick looks better and is timeless.

Of course I could be biased since I insisted on our new house being red brick when the wife and I first started discussing it. Wink
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:55:29 pm »

Of course I could be biased since I insisted on our new house being red brick when the wife and I first started discussing it. Wink

I agree. My wife and I had similar demands.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacks fan
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:43 pm »

1925  Acme begins construction of new brick plant in Tulsa, OK.

Acme Brick Company. I can remember when they had a facility along Dawson Road or near there in the 80's and seeing the kilns for fireing the bricks in use.

http://www.brick.com/company/history.htm
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:17:02 am »

Acme Brick Company. I can remember when they had a facility along Dawson Road or near there in the 80's and seeing the kilns for fireing the bricks in use.

http://www.brick.com/company/history.htm

My house has red Acme brick
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »

Bricks come in a color other than red?
http://www.crayola.com/colorcensus/americas_favorites/display.cfm?color=43
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:40:56 pm »

My house has red Acme brick

How did your brick get acne?  Have you tried Clearasil?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 03:46:25 pm »

How did your brick get acne?  Have you tried Clearasil?

We did our shopping at the A&P rather than Acme.  (Also the Penn Fruit Co but no one around here would know of them.)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »

Acme always reminds me of Wyl E. Coyote

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 04:01:05 pm »

Acme always reminds me of Wyl E. Coyote

De-hydrated boulders.....

Physics?  We don't believe in no stinkin' physics.

dbacks fan
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:29:41 pm »

De-hydrated boulders.....

Physics?  We don't believe in no stinkin' physics.

http://looneytic.com/products_instant.html

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:32:26 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:11:07 am »

So it has nothing to do with Red River clay to the South West of the State ?
Just a thought.  Huh

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gonesouth1234
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 11:36:39 am »

I've been photographing old buildings in and around Tulsa on the weekends, and I'm wondering why so many of them are constructed of red brick.  I assume that most were built around the same time, perhaps 80 to 100 years ago.  Many include some truly intricate brickwork not found in more modern buildings.  But why the enormous popularity of red?  It seems there are very few white or brown brick buildings.  The one below is Collinsville's city hall.

The armories are similar from town to town too.  They may be different scales but the pattern is largely the same.  Every one I've seen is made of sandstone.

Most of the red brick in the downtown area and the surrounding residential areas probably came from the Tulsa Vitrified Brick plant (the name may not be exactly correct) that was located roughly around the northeast corner of what is now the IDL.

As for the armories, they were built during the 30s by the WPA.   Somewhere I have a copy of an article that goes into detail re: Oklahoma having the highest number of preserved WPA buildings, art murals, etc.  I'll see if I can find it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:41:11 pm »

Most of the red brick in the downtown area and the surrounding residential areas probably came from the Tulsa Vitrified Brick plant (the name may not be exactly correct) that was located roughly around the northeast corner of what is now the IDL.

As for the armories, they were built during the 30s by the WPA.   Somewhere I have a copy of an article that goes into detail re: Oklahoma having the highest number of preserved WPA buildings, art murals, etc.  I'll see if I can find it.

If you find it, I'd sure like to see it.  Is there a files area here on the forum somewhere?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:06:15 pm »

Red brick was cheap, so they used a lot of it.

Armories built with stone because there is a lot of it around where they built the armories.

Don't forget all the state parks and lodges that were built by the CCC. (Civilian Conservation Corp)

If ever driving around in the country, there are still a lot of little concrete bridges built by the WPA in the late '30s and early '40s.  There is a WPA embossed on the end of the guard rail with the date built.  Earliest I have seen around NE Ok is 1939.  Most were '40 and '41.  And they are disappearing fast.  Until just a few years ago, there was one at 81st just west of 145th in BA.  Torn out when they widened the street.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org