A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:51:02 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking lot grifters?  (Read 19057 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 05:01:33 pm »

If I wasn't already married, Thoya Emmanuelle would become Thoya Recycle Michael.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 09:21:07 am »

Feed the strays and they stick around.  Stop, and they move on.

Absolutely.  This scam is used all over the country.
Gonesouth1234
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:54 am »

These are all common scams.

I got hit up in a parking lot yesterday by some gal, about 25 or so, just walking through the parking lot and asking everyone she could walk up to for a dollar.

When she asked me as I was loading the groceries in the car, I just grinned and said that Wally World had just cleaned me out.  She just moved on to the next person.

Business takes me into the c stores in several states.  There is rarely a day goes by that I don't get asked at one of them for money --to buy gas, to feed the kids, or so the family can continue their journey to the next stop and get back home.   

One gal stepped in front of my car while I was stopped a stop sign  with her young daughter one day, and wouldn't move.  She told me she needed a dime to round out the bus fare for her daughter because the doctor's office was downtown, and the kid was suffering from some rare disease.

She stopped me later at a c store, and said they needed money for a coke for the daughter because it was so hot.

The ones sitting at the off ramp stop signs or street corners with the signs are my favorites.  They are dropped off early in the morning by someone with a van, and then picked after rush hour.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 08:51:17 am »

The ones sitting at the off ramp stop signs or street corners with the signs are my favorites.  They are dropped off early in the morning by someone with a van, and then picked after rush hour.

I couldn't do that,  without a port-a-potty.

HazMatCFO
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 07:17:41 am »

These are all common scams.

The ones sitting at the off ramp stop signs or street corners with the signs are my favorites.  They are dropped off early in the morning by someone with a van, and then picked after rush hour.

I saw a pan handler that frequents 41st street bridge over I-44 that drives to the parking lot of Commerce tower and then goes to scam motorists. I know for I had an office there that faced the intersection and was looking out the window one evening before I was going home. I saw the panhandler leave in his GEO Tracker about dusk when rush hour was done. Saw him a few more times after that.

There also used to be a fat guy with a metal pole for a leg who panhandled the same intersection and now he's moved up to big time at the 71st street / Highway 169 intersection, usually the east side. Must be better loot there with all the shoppers and diners passing through. Has to fight the Ultimate Electronics sign holder for curb time.    
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:20:04 am by HazMatCFO » Logged
Gonesouth1234
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 08:59:57 am »

I have wondered for years what the pecking order system is for this group, and how the various corners and off ramps are assigned.

It would seem by now that there is a move to get a union vote for the "workers".
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 01:35:08 pm »

Give this guy a dollar for creativity:

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:11 am »

One of the local newstations did a piece on this several years ago. Don't remember which station. Found out the people at I-44 and Sheridan and Lewis were collecting for a church but the signs they carried said they were homeless leading you to believe the money was for them. I've noticed a woman at I-44 and Lewis with a bucket that clearly states its for a church. Over this past summer I was at the light at I-44 and Lewis long enough to see a guy who looked like rolled around in the dirt there go over and get into a newer Chevy parked across the street, start the car and turn on the A/C to cool off.

runfromtulsa
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »

You're already helping these low-life grifters by paying taxes for their "entitlements". They just spend all their money on drugs, and you're helping them support the pusher, probably at the expense of their children.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »

You're already helping these low-life grifters by paying taxes for their "entitlements". They just spend all their money on drugs, and you're helping them support the pusher, probably at the expense of their children.

Nice job bumping a 3 month old thread.

That was for Guido, BTW...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 04:09:15 pm »

Ahhh, the pungent, fetid stench of a troll.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.  Move along.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 04:37:34 pm »

Ahhh, the pungent, fetid stench of a troll.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.  Move along.

Take it easy on the forum cop. He's just doing his job, pathetic and sad that the job is.  Wink

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 06:52:30 pm »

Take it easy on the forum cop. He's just doing his job, pathetic and sad that the job is.  Wink

Can't be any worse than being an attorney...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Louie B
Citizen

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:34 am »

I hate it when scammers use God's name to scam. I have been approached before a few times and when I start hearing God's name to get money I am done listening. God deserves better than scammers using his name wrong. How sad. But I like what I read from some posts, I don't mind helping a person in true need and the best way is to offer to buy the thing they need, not give money. And common sense, lots of common sense.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org