A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:47:12 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Regional Transit Plan: Fast Forward  (Read 21459 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:54:56 pm »

New Transit Technology for Tulsa

http://kwgs.com/post/new-transit-technology-tulsa

INCOG is calling for a new image in public transit. The Peoria Study has been working since April of last year, and putting forth ideas for Tulsa. INCOG's James Wagner says the new technology is known as Bus Rapid Transit, and improves the transit without spending millions.

"It's a technology where you take a bus, and sort of make it into a branded service that looks a lot like light-rail. Instead of stopping at every bus stop that's out there, which is every two to three blocks, you narrow down the stops to just specific areas. What that does is speeds up the travel time and makes the service look a lot more like rail service," says Wagner.

Peoria Avenue is their first target because of the residents in the area and access to jobs. Wagner says it covers 20 percent of the jobs in Tulsa, and one out of seven residents. Wagner is also hoping for a new perspective of the transit for Tulsa residents.

"I think people will really start to think about using transit on a regular basis as opposed to just  thinking of it as a mode of last resort," he adds.

The next step for the project is to get funded. Bus Rapid Transit has quickly spread to the Midwest and Southwest.

INCOG is presenting the details of the proposal at 6 pm, January 8th, at the South Brooke Church of Christ near 28th and Peoria.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:39 pm »

Apparently the Tulsa lines will have traffic light control.

The traffic signal pre-emption system we have in Tulsa (which turns signals green in response to approaching emergency vehicles) allows for a lower-priority mass-transit use, as well.

When we add a somewhat constant flow of buses all demanding green lights, what effect is that going to have on trying to synchronize traffic signals?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:10:38 pm »

The traffic signal pre-emption system we have in Tulsa (which turns signals green in response to approaching emergency vehicles) allows for a lower-priority mass-transit use, as well.

When we add a somewhat constant flow of buses all demanding green lights, what effect is that going to have on trying to synchronize traffic signals?

The real answer is grade separated rail.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:40:23 pm »

"Bus Rapid Transit" or "Quality Bus"? Reality Check

http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_brt007.htm

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 08:11:44 pm »

Plan

http://www.fastforwardplan.org/Portals/0/Documents/102011RTSP/Handout_10-13-2011.pdf

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:03 am »

Really, any change at this point would be positive. Today each bus is 45 minutes apart and the routes are haphazard and confusing. It takes nearly an hour to get from Denver Station to 41st and Yale on the 222 CC.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 07:51:42 am »

Really, any change at this point would be positive. Today each bus is 45 minutes apart and the routes are haphazard and confusing. It takes nearly an hour to get from Denver Station to 41st and Yale on the 222 CC.

I don't see the Tulsa area getting any kind of rapid transit, rail or bus.  The will isn't there to create dedicated right of way much less grade separated right of way.  However, not so slow, easier to use is an achievable goal.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:49 am »

Just found this thread....aren't you glad?

As the system develops, buses become "through" travel going from one zone to the next with stops - localized shuttle/rail back and forth within a zone.  Think airports!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 07:55:01 am »

I don't see the Tulsa area getting any kind of rapid transit, rail or bus.  The will isn't there to create dedicated right of way much less grade separated right of way.  However, not so slow, easier to use is an achievable goal.

100% alignment of thought process!!  Who would ever have thought? 

We gotta dream, though, hence the word rapid....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 08:10:35 am »

Yes, smarter and more often is acheivable. Instead of large routes that go in concentric circles all over the city; straight shots on arterials with transfers and shorter wait times would be much better.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:52 am »

Hate to be the "find something negative person" but, guess it's because I am an artist, the first thing I noticed right off was "INCOG calling for a new image in public transit" and seeing the late 70's early 80's font on the drab sign above that lol. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:07 am »

Hate to be the "find something negative person" but, guess it's because I am an artist, the first thing I noticed right off was "INCOG calling for a new image in public transit" and seeing the late 70's early 80's font on the drab sign above that lol. 

Maybe 70s and 80s is old enough to be "new" again.   Cheesy

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 09:11:27 am »

RESPECT MY (metropolitan tulsa transit) AUTHORITAY
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 10:21:54 am »

Expanded Transit Possible in Tulsa

Dallas has the Spur, and San Antonio’s Primo just started service last month.

The current plan involves adding a Bus Rapid Transit service to the existing 105 route.
In Tulsa, a plan to bring Bus Rapid Transit service to Peoria Avenue takes shape.

Transportation Projects Coordinator with INCOG. At the final public meeting to seek input about INCOG’s current preferred plan, INCOG Transportation Projects Coordinator James Wagner explains, “Basically what we’re looking at is a Bus Rapid Transit system that would increase the frequency from 30 minutes to every 15 minutes.”

“It would do that by using stations,” he said, “36 stations at 19 locations, throughout the Peoria corridor that would connect from 38th Street North down to 81st and Lewis.”

The current bus route along Peoria is the 105. It runs from 66th street north down to 81st and Lewis, and under INCOG’s plan, it would remain functioning as is.

The new line would be in addition to the 105.

“What it effectively does,” Wagner said, “is it doubles the frequency of the transit service, and it provides people with an option to use a branded transit service that has nicer bus shelters and more amenities.”

Amenities like real-time bus arrival information, either through a smart phone app or a display on the bus shelter. Or ticket vending machines, so you can pay your fare before you board. 

The idea, Wagner says, is for the bus line to function as closely as possible like a light rail service—fewer stops, farther apart, but much more frequent service, and better reliability.

Many residents who showed up to the meeting earlier this week were enthusiastic. Jannette Hammack says she’d use a service like this all the time.

“I work at Third and Peoria, and I live at about 46th and Peoria,” she said, “so if this was implemented, I would be able to let go of having to drive my car.”

“You shouldn’t have to rely on a car when you live in a city, is my basic philosophy,” said another resident, Alani Taylor.

Taylor says she’s tried to use the bus system before, when a medical issue meant she couldn’t use her car for at least six months.

“It really just ended up being so inconvenient that I ended up finding someone else in my building that I could carpool with,” she said, “because I didn’t have the option of staying late at work, I didn’t have the option of coming in earlier or later if I wanted to.”

“The timing of the schedule was just so restrictive,” she said.

The public meeting about the bus rapid transit service was early this week, just one day after the high-profile murder of four women in an apartment complex at 61st and Peoria.

So it’s perhaps understandable that one of the concerns raised at the meeting was whether added bus stops with higher volume might bring with it an elevated crime rate.

But Carol Bush with the Crime Prevention Network, formerly the Tulsa Crime Commission, says that’s an unrealistic concern.

“I don’t’ think typically bad guys use the bus to do their bad work,” Bush said.

She says Tulsa’s effective non-police crime-prevention efforts could be expanded specifically to include bus stops.

“Maybe the Alert Neighbors,” she said, “when they’re patrolling not only their neighborhoods and looking for suspicious activity, they include patrolling the bus stops and watching out for them.”

Wagner says the plans included added lighting and security cameras. He says Dallas is a good example of added access to transit creating economic development.

“Transportation is really a tool of increasing property value,” he said. “The more access a piece of property has to it, if it’s a commercial property, the more valuable it is.”

One potential drawback to the plan is a lack of available federal grant money.

The Peoria route is Tulsa’s busiest, but it still doesn’t have enough riders to be eligible for the Very Small Starts grant program from the Federal Transit Administration.

Wagner says that the plan is to use local funding to implement the current proposals. As ridership grows, Tulsa would later become eligible for federal funds for further improvements to its public transit system.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 10:53:15 am »

I like the improved service and hours. I wonder about the route, though. The 10:30 should defintely be extended a bit on weekends and BOK event nights. If service stops at 10:30, the last bus out of downtown would likely be before that, probably too early for most people at an event or a night out.

Are we going to try to woo those who have cars, or serve those who have no other choice? The north Tulsa portion of the route clearly is aimed at those who don't have a choice.

But is the rest of the route, from downtown south, going to woo people who do have a choice? For those people, this route basically just connects downtown, Cherry Street and Brookside. Maybe a few will ride out to Walmart or ORU.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org