A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:51 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Regional Transit Plan: Fast Forward  (Read 21427 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: February 16, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »

I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. The program name is weak (IMO) and the survey could be better, but its a start:

http://www.fastforwardplan.org/website/

Plan Overview The Tulsa Regional Transit System Plan is the first of its kind in our region. It builds off the forward-thinking momentum created by PLANiTULSA, the city of Tulsa’s long-range comprehensive plan, and focuses on public transportation for the region’s communities including Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Jenks, Owasso and Sand Springs.

This is an extremely important opportunity for the Tulsa region to compete for federal grants which are increasingly moving toward public transportation. The Tulsa Regional Transit System Plan is the first step to identify a financially-viable public transportation program for the greater Tulsa area.

Public transit options include conventional buses, express buses, bus rapid transit, street cars, commuter rail transit and light rail transit.

Participation by the public is a major component in developing the plan. Numerous opportunities are being created online and throughout the Tulsa region to engage residents and stakeholders about their attitudes, needs and desires with regard to public transportation. Your input in this process is a key to its success.

Input from the public will be merged with a rigorous technical process. This process includes analysis of demographics, ridership, traffic modeling and corridors. Traffic corridors will be ranked and prioritized and the draft plan will be circulated for further review by the public. After the plan is finalized and approved, a subsequent Alternatives Analysis will occur in a specific traffic corridor in a defined geographic area. It examines all transportation and recommends the best overall transportation technology and route.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:40:37 pm »

With all the orange barrels out and people who don't have a clue how to merge courteously, I'm rapidly becoming a fan of mass transit.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:11 pm »

With all the orange barrels out and people who don't have a clue how to merge courteously, I'm rapidly becoming a fan of mass transit.

I haul buttocks up to the front of the line , turn on my blinker, honk my horn if I don't get my way and flip the bird to all behind me.

Who's with me?
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »

I haul buttocks up to the front of the line , turn on my blinker, honk my horn if I don't get my way and flip the bird to all behind me.

Who's with me?

What's a "blinker"?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »

What's a "blinker"?

it makes a clicky noise
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:43:32 pm »

it makes a clicky noise

And a flashy thing on the instrument panel.

Gonesouth1234
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:26:48 am »

That's the flashy thing that only drivers over 80 use-flashing all the time, the left one flashing all the time the car is in operation.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:17 am »

That's the flashy thing that only drivers over 80 use-flashing all the time, the left one flashing all the time the car is in operation.

I believe George Carlin called that 'going around the world to the left'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gonesouth1234
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:41 am »

Who's with me?

I thought everybody drove like this.  
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 10:37:41 am »

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:47 am »

Rich Fisher is discussing fast forward on his show today

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 04:51:06 pm »

Encouraging article:

Tulsa-area residents can get their first look at what the future might hold for them transportation-wise later this month at an open house devoted to unveiling a draft version of a new regional transit plan.

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A40708

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:46:16 am »

An Update on Tulsa's Fast Forward Plan: It's All About BRT (as in, Bus Rapid Transit)

http://kwgs.com/post/update-tulsas-fast-forward-plan-its-all-about-brt-bus-rapid-transit

On this edition of our show, we get an update on Tulsa's Regional Transit System Plan, which is also known as Fast Forward. The plan was adopted last year, in October of 2011, and operations are now moving forward on the first major enhancement to the current Tulsa Transit set-up. That first enhancement is a proposed BRT, or Bus Rapid Transit, that would run along the lengthy Peoria/Riverside Corridor (which is 20+ miles long, from Far North to Far South Tulsa). Buses that operate within BRT systems are typically sleek, low-to-the-ground, express-type buses that look and function more like commuter trains than conventional city buses --- and the stops, or stations, for such BRTs are likewise far more accommodating and informative than conventional bus stops. (For example, such stations often feature electronic signage telling riders that the "next bus will arrive in ten minutes," or the like.) Our guests on today's ST are both heavily involved in the current Peoria/Riverside Corridor Study: James Wagner in a Senior Transportation Planner with INCOG and Mike McAnelly is a Project Manager with Jacobs Engineering. You can learn more about Fast Forward (and about its Peoria/Riverside Corridor Study) at this link.

29 minute show on the link.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:27:46 am »

South of Miami on the way to Homestead, they've got dedicated busways for the buses. I was still not terribly impressed, but they were making slightly better time than those of us on the regular road. Not much, though, since they still had stop lights to contend with. No long queue of cars to wait behind when the light turned green, but not much advantage beyond that.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 10:33:17 am »

South of Miami on the way to Homestead, they've got dedicated busways for the buses. I was still not terribly impressed, but they were making slightly better time than those of us on the regular road. Not much, though, since they still had stop lights to contend with. No long queue of cars to wait behind when the light turned green, but not much advantage beyond that.

Apparently the Tulsa lines will have traffic light control.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org