A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:34 am
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351629 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #660 on: January 13, 2023, 12:43:50 pm »

There's a great place for an office building on 15th right over at Utica. Already razed and everything.

Only problem is the guy that owns that property haha

Frankly, that site would be much better as a mixed use project. Retail, hotel, multifamily. A giant office building there isn't the best use of that corner. We don't need a repeat of the other three corners.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 12:45:35 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #661 on: January 13, 2023, 08:04:48 pm »

I wonder if they'd be interested in opening a new site somewhere on 11th or in the Pearl where rents are a bit cheaper and would still give them a midtown/downtown location. I've never ate there but they seemed to have had a pretty solid following and I saw a lot of Midtown people complaining and saying they won't drive south to the other location.

The other location lacks the charm of the 15th street location, which carried over somewhat from when it was a neighborhood pub called K.L. Snoozers. Im not sure you could recapture that essence now, given the resident clientele of the QT that opened up a few doors down.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #662 on: January 13, 2023, 10:09:40 pm »

The other location lacks the charm of the 15th street location, which carried over somewhat from when it was a neighborhood pub called K.L. Snoozers. Im not sure you could recapture that essence now, given the resident clientele of the QT that opened up a few doors down.

How much of the charm is the location, building or some combination.  I'm sure the appearance of an old building could be duplicated, building codes permitting, although it would probably be more expensive than a modern appearance.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #663 on: January 27, 2023, 03:19:12 pm »

This quaint little structure is now rubble:  https://goo.gl/maps/oA4Nc9u2MZD2NLvBA

Kind of sad since it looked like something a creative individual could have had fun with.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #664 on: January 27, 2023, 05:19:20 pm »

This quaint little structure is now rubble:  https://goo.gl/maps/oA4Nc9u2MZD2NLvBA

Kind of sad since it looked like something a creative individual could have had fun with.

That is sad.  Too bad it couldn't be (or wasn't) relocated somewhere else.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #665 on: January 28, 2023, 08:02:36 am »

The building next to it has had all it's nice original brick painted over by probably the same idiots who tore the little building down. Painting brick doesn't fix issues with the bricks or mortar, it makes them worse and accelerates deterioration - plus it looks like $hit. The "developers" in this town are just the biggest morons.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #666 on: January 28, 2023, 12:46:17 pm »

The building next to it has had all it's nice original brick painted over by probably the same idiots who tore the little building down. Painting brick doesn't fix issues with the bricks or mortar, it makes them worse and accelerates deterioration - plus it looks like $hit. The "developers" in this town are just the biggest morons.

While many are... I do wonder if some of this boils down to things like parking minimums. If a developer wants to redevelop the other building it might have been necessary to demo the other for parking. I don't agree with it, but a lot of times you have to deal with what our terrible zoning code requires.

Some of it boils down to greed, other issues. Demoing buildings reduces your property taxes if you're just a speculator.

I do wish parking minimums, etc. would just go away. So many cities have done this and as much development that's happened downtown - not having parking minimums has been extremely beneficials. It makes buildings shared parking easier to do between developments/neighborhoods versus everyone having to try and do things on site.

15th Street is such a glaring bad example of trying to do urban corridors with "modern" zoning requirements.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #667 on: January 29, 2023, 04:12:39 pm »

While many are... I do wonder if some of this boils down to things like parking minimums. If a developer wants to redevelop the other building it might have been necessary to demo the other for parking. I don't agree with it, but a lot of times you have to deal with what our terrible zoning code requires.

Some of it boils down to greed, other issues. Demoing buildings reduces your property taxes if you're just a speculator.

I do wish parking minimums, etc. would just go away. So many cities have done this and as much development that's happened downtown - not having parking minimums has been extremely beneficials. It makes buildings shared parking easier to do between developments/neighborhoods versus everyone having to try and do things on site.

15th Street is such a glaring bad example of trying to do urban corridors with "modern" zoning requirements.

Will the Planitulsa updates solve some of these issues for areas like Cherry Street and Brookside? 

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #668 on: January 30, 2023, 02:03:19 pm »

Will the Planitulsa updates solve some of these issues for areas like Cherry Street and Brookside? 

I don't think it will - I am planning to push some of the councilors about parking issues this year.

I've been told the Planitulsa update will have some revisions to parking minimums but not much. Really on the main urban corridors (15th, 11th, 6th, 3rd, Utica, Peoria, etc.) there really should just be zero. Or at least say if you're building is under 10,000 sq. ft. you have no parking requirements. Something like that would help a lot for smaller infill projects.

Cherry Street's parking should never be replicated. We can't continue to have to tear down residential to facilitate commercial parking requirements. It would have been better for the city to come in an build a common parking structure somewhere that everyone could have shared instead of what has happened but requiring on site parking like they have will never allow for stuff like that to happen.

My fear is that 11th Street will end up just like Cherry Street where the more infill that happens the more and more it will eat into the residential on the north/south sides of the street to meet parking requirements. Cherry Street has probably lost at least 50 housing units over the years that have been replaced by surface parking.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #669 on: March 10, 2023, 06:04:33 am »

Only problem is the guy that owns that property haha

Frankly, that site would be much better as a mixed use project. Retail, hotel, multifamily. A giant office building there isn't the best use of that corner. We don't need a repeat of the other three corners.

Well whatever he has planned (I have no inside info), it can now go forward. Chelsea Gallery is selling and being torn down this summer.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/framing-store-on-cherry-street-will-close-at-end-of-may/article_768d3c52-bea1-11ed-8f89-5f0c5a822e54.html
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #670 on: March 16, 2023, 09:13:47 am »

Renderings of the new ice skating facility at the Promenade are up. And the website says opening in "Fall 2023." Looks pretty nice.

https://westreeticecenter.com/

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #671 on: March 21, 2023, 10:23:56 am »

The old Border's on 21st and the BA has a sign out for redevelopment but I can't read it from the street. Anyone know what's going there?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #672 on: March 21, 2023, 11:02:29 am »

The old Border's on 21st and the BA has a sign out for redevelopment but I can't read it from the street. Anyone know what's going there?

Self-storage.  I heard Fresh Market was interested but it was too large of a space compared to the old Borders at 81st & Yale.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #673 on: March 21, 2023, 11:14:59 am »

Ugh, how much crap do people need? Every time I see yet another storage place open up it reminds me of George Carlin's bit about stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY&t=1s
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #674 on: March 21, 2023, 11:20:58 am »

Ugh, how much crap do people need? Every time I see yet another storage place open up it reminds me of George Carlin's bit about stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY&t=1s

They stay full and it's a less-risky place for people to park their money, similar to car washes. 

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org