A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:33:44 am
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351838 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #645 on: August 26, 2022, 08:22:06 am »

Getting the sinking suspicion that Prosperity Bank is building a standard drive-through bank on the corner of 21st and Utica. Really hope I'm proved wrong, as it could be a really cool corner.

Oh c'mon now - there is nothing cooler than a bank with a drive-thru (as us cool kids like to spell it). I mean - I don't know what you do for fun but making a deposit using a pneumatic tube is pretty much the highlight of my week.  Grin
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #646 on: August 26, 2022, 09:05:37 am »

Getting the sinking suspicion that Prosperity Bank is building a standard drive-through bank on the corner of 21st and Utica. Really hope I'm proved wrong, as it could be a really cool corner.

It is, you won't be proved wrong. I've seen the renderings and it's really disappointing especially given it's prime corner location in Utica Square. Another reason why I wish we had areas in town that required design review and more strict building standards.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #647 on: August 26, 2022, 10:16:49 am »

Truly unfortunate.  Blank slate to create a defining corner to mirror Utica Place and they build a one-story drive-through bank.  Prosperity could've easily moved into a multi-story building and incorporated the drive-through.  Demand for boutique office space in Midtown is strong enough to do another Utica East type development here.  This is one of the best corners in all of Tulsa, eventually this will be replaced with a higher and better use.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 10:42:18 am by SXSW » Logged

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #648 on: August 26, 2022, 03:51:47 pm »

Well on the bright side (?) at least it's not another faux Spanish villa development. I just wish they had been more realistic with the rendering and incorporated some St John's employees standing outside of it smoking.

Also - from a roofing perspective - what a terrible design. One big dead valley - good luck with that.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #649 on: August 31, 2022, 10:19:18 am »

The biscuit place in the old Qdoba spot has already closed. Tried it once and liked it just never really thought of it, plus our house is more obsessesed with bagels. Seems like it was open only a few months. And it's a chain.

Foxy tacos still seems to be kicking despite what I hear are pretty universal bad reviews. I went once and didn't love or hate it, which I guess is equivalent of a bad review since I haven't really thought to go back.  Velvet Taco is pretty good, though I wish they had demolished the LJS and built something nicer there. I'll probably go there again sometime soon.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #650 on: August 31, 2022, 01:48:55 pm »

The biscuit place in the old Qdoba spot has already closed. Tried it once and liked it just never really thought of it, plus our house is more obsessesed with bagels. Seems like it was open only a few months. And it's a chain.

Foxy tacos still seems to be kicking despite what I hear are pretty universal bad reviews. I went once and didn't love or hate it, which I guess is equivalent of a bad review since I haven't really thought to go back.  Velvet Taco is pretty good, though I wish they had demolished the LJS and built something nicer there. I'll probably go there again sometime soon.

I'm hearing the old Qdoba/Rise Biscuits will be a Summer Moon, a coffee shop chain out of Austin that has recently moved into OKC and Fayetteville.  https://summermooncoffee.com/

Foxy Tacos would be a great spot for something better than Foxy Tacos.  Arguably one of the better patios on Cherry Street.  

No word on when The Hemingway is opening.  The same group is also opening The Bellview at 1336 E 15th by Nola's.  They are also building out a space at 15th & Quaker and have a planned restaurant at 2nd & Kenosha downtown.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #651 on: September 01, 2022, 12:24:07 pm »

I'm hearing the old Qdoba/Rise Biscuits will be a Summer Moon, a coffee shop chain out of Austin that has recently moved into OKC and Fayetteville.  https://summermooncoffee.com/

Foxy Tacos would be a great spot for something better than Foxy Tacos.  Arguably one of the better patios on Cherry Street.  

No word on when The Hemingway is opening.  The same group is also opening The Bellview at 1336 E 15th by Nola's.  They are also building out a space at 15th & Quaker and have a planned restaurant at 2nd & Kenosha downtown.

I was shocked when Crushed Red tore out the bar on the patio. It was literally the only reason I went to Full Moon a few times (only for brunch since the regular menu wasn't good in my opinion). What a colossally stupid move. Foxy utlizes it much better but their food is mediocre. I'll give it another try soon, I know things sometimes improve over time with new concepts. Their track record is pretty good overall.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #652 on: October 18, 2022, 04:18:26 pm »

I haven’t heard any news about Hatch on Cherry Street.  This article indicates there will be three new restaurants opening in 2023 but doesn’t mention Tulsa

https://kfor.com/news/local/hatch-to-open-3-new-locations-across-oklahoma/amp/

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #653 on: December 21, 2022, 08:42:30 am »

Construction has started on Summer Moon coffee in the old Rise space next to Drybar.  I've heard they will take over the entire patio out front for outdoor seating.  Hoping they have Tacodeli tacos like the ones in central TX

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #654 on: January 12, 2023, 08:10:37 am »

So apparently the Brothers Houligans on 15th is closing down as a property developer offered to buy the building from them? News articles say they're planning to develop office space in the area. Seems like a weird place for that being right by the highway, but not in a convenience access way - more of an "oh crap - that was a big donkey truck going by" way. Wonder if the same ones are going to buy the old McKee building or what exactly is going on.

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere else on here - I looked around but couldn't find anything.

https://www.newson6.com/story/63beb2d0dd97b50729738012/brothers-houligan-announces-closure-of-15th-street-location-
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #655 on: January 12, 2023, 11:06:59 am »

I was blown away by the office thing. 21st and the BA has quite a bit of empty office space I think, so I can't imagine that there's that much demand for this area. There is a coworking space in that area. Maybe they really needed some extra square footage?
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #656 on: January 12, 2023, 11:29:19 am »

It's odd, but if they bought out the neighboring buildings as well then it isn't a bad spot for a high profile office building. There's an on ramp to the highway behind Reasor's, and an off ramp just to the south. Its close to cherry st, mother road market, and downtown. Great visibility for any brand that wants to be visible there.

Probably going to be something smaller scale though. I think the main reason the Brothers Houligan closed is because the restaurant industry is in dire straits right now with food costs, inflation, and people are probably starting to cut back. It's especially hard for casual places that are supposed to be cheaper. I don't even eat fast food nearly as much anymore because it's so damn expensive. Might as well spend a few bucks more and get a real meal if I'm going out.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #657 on: January 13, 2023, 09:05:34 am »

It's odd, but if they bought out the neighboring buildings as well then it isn't a bad spot for a high profile office building. There's an on ramp to the highway behind Reasor's, and an off ramp just to the south. Its close to cherry st, mother road market, and downtown. Great visibility for any brand that wants to be visible there.

Probably going to be something smaller scale though. I think the main reason the Brothers Houligan closed is because the restaurant industry is in dire straits right now with food costs, inflation, and people are probably starting to cut back. It's especially hard for casual places that are supposed to be cheaper. I don't even eat fast food nearly as much anymore because it's so damn expensive. Might as well spend a few bucks more and get a real meal if I'm going out.

Houligans' official story is their business is fine, but they were approached with an offer they couldn't refuse for the building. I guess we'll see when the assessor's office updates their records how believable that is. I can't say I ever saw the building going up for sale anywhere so it's possible.

The McKee building next to Houligans sold back in 2020 to a cluster of LLCs which appear to be local realtors (well - one of the LLCs appears to be - couldn't find much info on the other ones). I know when we were buying our building, our broker mentioned he and another broker had bought several buildings to speculate on - seems like a lucrative side hustle. I would think expanding the McKee building outwards over Houligans would be a better move and more in fitting with the area than building something new and tall there, especially with the limited footprint.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #658 on: January 13, 2023, 11:31:13 am »

Houligans' official story is their business is fine, but they were approached with an offer they couldn't refuse for the building. I guess we'll see when the assessor's office updates their records how believable that is. I can't say I ever saw the building going up for sale anywhere so it's possible.

The McKee building next to Houligans sold back in 2020 to a cluster of LLCs which appear to be local realtors (well - one of the LLCs appears to be - couldn't find much info on the other ones). I know when we were buying our building, our broker mentioned he and another broker had bought several buildings to speculate on - seems like a lucrative side hustle. I would think expanding the McKee building outwards over Houligans would be a better move and more in fitting with the area than building something new and tall there, especially with the limited footprint.

The building next door that sold was pretty much fully leased too, that realtor group officed in that building so that's why they bought it. I would bet they are the ones who are buying the Houligans building.

I wonder if they'd be interested in opening a new site somewhere on 11th or in the Pearl where rents are a bit cheaper and would still give them a midtown/downtown location. I've never ate there but they seemed to have had a pretty solid following and I saw a lot of Midtown people complaining and saying they won't drive south to the other location.

I could see a higher end office building doing well here - most of the offices along 21st and 15th are pretty outdated and tired. I bet they would snag a couple of medical tenants too, especially ones geared more toward cosmetic or dentist type practices.

I don't know how they'd get much more on there though unless they demo all the buildings and just scrap the site and start over. You'd have to add parking and there's not a lot of space with the existing buildings to add a parking structure in the back either. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #659 on: January 13, 2023, 12:29:53 pm »

The building next door that sold was pretty much fully leased too, that realtor group officed in that building so that's why they bought it. I would bet they are the ones who are buying the Houligans building.

I wonder if they'd be interested in opening a new site somewhere on 11th or in the Pearl where rents are a bit cheaper and would still give them a midtown/downtown location. I've never ate there but they seemed to have had a pretty solid following and I saw a lot of Midtown people complaining and saying they won't drive south to the other location.

I could see a higher end office building doing well here - most of the offices along 21st and 15th are pretty outdated and tired. I bet they would snag a couple of medical tenants too, especially ones geared more toward cosmetic or dentist type practices.

I don't know how they'd get much more on there though unless they demo all the buildings and just scrap the site and start over. You'd have to add parking and there's not a lot of space with the existing buildings to add a parking structure in the back either. 

There's a great place for an office building on 15th right over at Utica. Already razed and everything.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org