A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:21:37 am
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351809 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #300 on: June 14, 2018, 06:37:51 pm »

Rib Crib umbrella... that ought to immediately make it just so-so.   No doubt will give it a try, but I certainly don't expect much.

We did renew our acquaintance with Hank's last weekend!!   It is still amazing as always!   Have been distracted by Ron's and Lot-A-Burger for a long time, but Ron's changed their french fries - at least at 2 of them we go to - and it just ain't the same.  Still massive, but flavor is different and not as good. 

We can live with 'lesser' fries for a better burger.  Hank's is it.  Ron's is tied for 2nd with Lot-A

If you don't stay on top of the oil in the fryers, that can change a whole lot of the flavor.  If you want a good idea if a place is about to go tits up, generally their fried product is going to be somewhat rank.

After spending two days with a power washer, waders and a mask cleaning up the mess from fry-o-lators from the business which used to inhabit the space our brewery is in, I really could care less about deep fried foods these days.  We sure as hell aren't serving any on our menu.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2018, 07:54:38 am »

If you don't stay on top of the oil in the fryers, that can change a whole lot of the flavor.  If you want a good idea if a place is about to go tits up, generally their fried product is going to be somewhat rank.

After spending two days with a power washer, waders and a mask cleaning up the mess from fry-o-lators from the business which used to inhabit the space our brewery is in, I really could care less about deep fried foods these days.  We sure as hell aren't serving any on our menu.

Ron's problem is that they changed the potato cut itself.  They are somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" thicker/wider than they used to be.  It is amazing how much difference that one little thing can make.  They even substituted frozen crinkle cut fries for a couple of months earlier this year, saying their machine was broken and couldn't get parts.  Implying this was done at another location!   What happened to "fresh cut fries" that is splattered all over their menu?

Anyway, the fries are still decent, just not as good as they used to be.  What really irked me was they way they have lied about it the last 3 times we have been in - telling us the machine is fixed and it's all back the same as before.  It's not.  3 times is a charm, so guess it is good thing we got back to the garden...er, uh, Hank's!  By the way, their fries are only fair - they use crinkle cut, too.  If you remember/like Braum's fries - like that.

As for the oil, I couldn't detect a difference with that - and I can detect that!

No fried food...!!??  Oh, no...that's Communistic..!!!    No pickles?  No Snickers??  What are people gonna eat there???

I have a fryer that is clean, but getting ready to recommission, just gonna take it to the car wash and start there to get it back to shiny new look!   Or maybe start with methyl chloride and then car wash...  Whatever to get that light brown residue off.  May be a sandblaster moment!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2018, 08:04:40 am »

Ron's problem is that they changed the potato cut itself.  They are somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" thicker/wider than they used to be.  It is amazing how much difference that one little thing can make.  They even substituted frozen crinkle cut fries for a couple of months earlier this year, saying their machine was broken and couldn't get parts.  Implying this was done at another location!   What happened to "fresh cut fries" that is splattered all over their menu?

Anyway, the fries are still decent, just not as good as they used to be.  What really irked me was they way they have lied about it the last 3 times we have been in - telling us the machine is fixed and it's all back the same as before.  It's not.  3 times is a charm, so guess it is good thing we got back to the garden...er, uh, Hank's!  By the way, their fries are only fair - they use crinkle cut, too.  If you remember/like Braum's fries - like that.

As for the oil, I couldn't detect a difference with that - and I can detect that!

No fried food...!!??  Oh, no...that's Communistic..!!!    No pickles?  No Snickers??  What are people gonna eat there???

I have a fryer that is clean, but getting ready to recommission, just gonna take it to the car wash and start there to get it back to shiny new look!   Or maybe start with methyl chloride and then car wash...  Whatever to get that light brown residue off.  May be a sandblaster moment!

My favorite fries from them were from the now-defunct 21st and Garnett location.  We knew the owner and he was super nice to us.  Too bad he didn't know how to run a business (aka pay his state taxes..which is what got him shut down).  He cut them thicker, but when I went to my now default location across the street from my work (15th/Sheridan) they cut their fries thinner and they tasted a little different.  Although I typically go there for the sausage cheeseburger (tastes the same in all locations).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2018, 08:13:39 am »

My favorite fries from them were from the now-defunct 21st and Garnett location.  We knew the owner and he was super nice to us.  Too bad he didn't know how to run a business (aka pay his state taxes..which is what got him shut down).  He cut them thicker, but when I went to my now default location across the street from my work (15th/Sheridan) they cut their fries thinner and they tasted a little different.  Although I typically go there for the sausage cheeseburger (tastes the same in all locations).

I like the thicker fries ok, but have always gone to Ron's for the combo of pretty good burger and great fries!  Willing to put up with lesser burger for greater fries...the 'total' was '10'.  Now, with the 'fryasco', it's a solid 7.5.

15th & Sheridan - whew!   I worked in that area for 20 years or so...long time ago.  Used to eat at Ken's - on the east side of Sheridan.  And then Ken's on west when they moved.  And then Mazzio's.    Would go to Bill's Tires with a friend to get cheap used tires every week in high school - would wear them out over the following week and go back for more.  I think some of those tire streaks must still be there under layers of asphalt!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2018, 02:32:47 pm »

Rib Crib umbrella... that ought to immediately make it just so-so.   No doubt will give it a try, but I certainly don't expect much.

We did renew our acquaintance with Hank's last weekend!!   It is still amazing as always!   Have been distracted by Ron's and Lot-A-Burger for a long time, but Ron's changed their french fries - at least at 2 of them we go to - and it just ain't the same.  Still massive, but flavor is different and not as good. 

We can live with 'lesser' fries for a better burger.  Hank's is it.  Ron's is tied for 2nd with Lot-A

I'm going to give it a shot and hope it's good. Tons of burger places so competition is stiff. They better really set their burgers apart.

I like Rib Crib as a "fast-food BBQ" place. Cheap family packs and decent ribs available quickly. Their places are great for family get togethers without breaking the bank and atmosphere is typically pretty good (especially 15th and Harvard and downtown). I don't remember if it's the smoked turkey or chicken I like more, but those are pretty good and consistent. And the spicy mustard is good.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2018, 03:18:36 pm »

I'm going to give it a shot and hope it's good. Tons of burger places so competition is stiff. They better really set their burgers apart.

I like Rib Crib as a "fast-food BBQ" place. Cheap family packs and decent ribs available quickly. Their places are great for family get togethers without breaking the bank and atmosphere is typically pretty good (especially 15th and Harvard and downtown). I don't remember if it's the smoked turkey or chicken I like more, but those are pretty good and consistent. And the spicy mustard is good.

We will no doubt try it soon, too.  Always looking for a good burger.

Go way out east on 71st and try Smokies.  You will lose interest in Rib Crib for everything but used oil to make biodiesel...

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2018, 08:48:26 am »

Anyone know what the plans are for the two empty lots where they tore down existing buildings on 15th at Columbia and Delaware?  That stretch right there has potential and nice neighborhoods on both sides but looks pretty rundown in its current state. 

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2018, 11:42:28 am »

We will no doubt try it soon, too.  Always looking for a good burger.

Go way out east on 71st and try Smokies.  You will lose interest in Rib Crib for everything but used oil to make biodiesel...

I just don't typically want to drive that far. I'd rather pick up rib crib and eat in a matter of minutes than spend an hour driving to get vastly superior BBQ. I don't like waiting in Burn Co lines either.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2018, 11:44:25 am »

Anyone know what the plans are for the two empty lots where they tore down existing buildings on 15th at Columbia and Delaware?  That stretch right there has potential and nice neighborhoods on both sides but looks pretty rundown in its current state. 

That is the new site for Bill and Ruths which QT is buying/destroying at 15th and Lewis. It's a shame they destroyed those interesting Mid-century looking buildings but will be a good addition to have another restaurant in the Renaissance Neighborhood.

I'm upset about how they demolished the neat buildings at 15th and Delaware Ave, just to leave it an empty eye sore for 5+ years now...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2018, 12:41:29 pm »

I just don't typically want to drive that far. I'd rather pick up rib crib and eat in a matter of minutes than spend an hour driving to get vastly superior BBQ. I don't like waiting in Burn Co lines either.

It is a drive, but we like drives in the country from time to time.  And that is a great place to 'land'.

Albert G's might make a good intermediate stop - it's just as good, and in middle of town.

A longer drive in the country - still not 'long' - for us is Pawhuska to go see the Pioneer Woman restaurant - we  have tried to go their 3 times and so far, the lines have been 2+ hours!   We did find a good little Mexican restaurant in town, though, so it wasn't a bust!  Can't remember name - corner of 99 and 11.  Good place to stop after a drive through the Tallgrass Prairie and some buffalo watching!!   (The barbeque place there isn't that great...certainly not worth the trip, but marginally edible if that's the only place open...)

Be sure to detour through Nelagoney on the way...   Well, maybe not - it's interesting to us for a couple of old buildings, but not much there....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2018, 01:09:42 pm »

It is a drive, but we like drives in the country from time to time.  And that is a great place to 'land'.

Albert G's might make a good intermediate stop - it's just as good, and in middle of town.

A longer drive in the country - still not 'long' - for us is Pawhuska to go see the Pioneer Woman restaurant - we  have tried to go their 3 times and so far, the lines have been 2+ hours!   We did find a good little Mexican restaurant in town, though, so it wasn't a bust!  Can't remember name - corner of 99 and 11.  Good place to stop after a drive through the Tallgrass Prairie and some buffalo watching!!   (The barbeque place there isn't that great...certainly not worth the trip, but marginally edible if that's the only place open...)

Be sure to detour through Nelagoney on the way...   Well, maybe not - it's interesting to us for a couple of old buildings, but not much there....

Or there's always The Pig (Knotty Pig) at 15th/Sheridan (actually 15th just east of Sheridan in the old Hardens space).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #311 on: June 18, 2018, 01:49:33 pm »

That is the new site for Bill and Ruths which QT is buying/destroying at 15th and Lewis. It's a shame they destroyed those interesting Mid-century looking buildings but will be a good addition to have another restaurant in the Renaissance Neighborhood.

I'm upset about how they demolished the neat buildings at 15th and Delaware Ave, just to leave it an empty eye sore for 5+ years now...

Hopefully B&R is building out to the sidewalk/corner at 15th & Columbia.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #312 on: June 18, 2018, 04:47:52 pm »

Or there's always The Pig (Knotty Pig) at 15th/Sheridan (actually 15th just east of Sheridan in the old Hardens space).

Hoping you will make that 550 mile drive to try our BBQ and brews once we are open.  We've created quite a stir with a few catering gigs in the village.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2018, 04:56:03 pm »

Hoping you will make that 550 mile drive to try our BBQ and brews once we are open.  We've created quite a stir with a few catering gigs in the village.

I keep putting it off but work is not being kind to me.  I took a week off in May to take care of some personal stuff.  I have another 10 days of vacation so that might be on my list.  I'm curious to try your beers once there.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2018, 06:03:37 pm »

Say, what...??   Don't want us to come visit...??

I can understand...lol...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org