A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351647 times)
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2016, 09:13:41 am »

I still want to know what happened to the bike racks here between 2014 and 2016. Did an Owasso cheerleader get 'em?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2016, 09:25:59 am »

I still want to know what happened to the bike racks here between 2014 and 2016. Did an Owasso cheerleader get 'em?

There's a tree and a business missing too.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2016, 09:50:28 am »

Sorry, forgot to update about the street design meeting.  Its still two years at least from beginning, he said they have to tear up and rebuild Lewis from 3rd to 21st before 15th gets started, but they have really good ideas and plenty of time for input.  It looks like they want to install dedicated bike lanes from Denver to Peoria and from Utica to Yale.  Cherry Street proper (Peoria to Utica) would be designated as shared lanes for vehicles and bikes.  I don't like that they will still have parking on both sides on Cherry Street proper, back in angle on one side parallel on the other.  I wish they'd ditch the parallel parking and widen the sidewalks.  I also wish they could bury the power line while the place is torn up, but thats a different department.  No details on lighting, I'm guessing that's a later planning stage.

Anyway, the presentation is at the link.  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Dqzlhdnu6jV3hJMDJDLU56ZWc

I just posted a rant on the “Bike Lanes For 3rd St.” post regarding how dangerous Cherry St. is in it’s current configuration for cyclists.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:38 pm »

I just posted a rant on the “Bike Lanes For 3rd St.” post regarding how dangerous Cherry St. is in its current configuration for cyclists.

I agree that it's dangerous in its current configuration.  The designers' primary ideas are to change the angled parking along the north curb from head-in to back-in and to build new curbs to narrow down the moving traffic lanes (which would be shared lanes marked with bike sharrows).

Do you think these ideas are a waste of money?  What are your suggestions for making the street safer for cyclists?  For pedestrians?

At the public meeting, there was only one person who really spoke up in opposition to the back-in angled parking proposal.  Most seemed to think back-in parking would be safer for cyclists than head-in. 

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2016, 06:13:12 pm »

Sorry, forgot to update about the street design meeting...

...the presentation is at the link.  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Dqzlhdnu6jV3hJMDJDLU56ZWc

Thanks for posting the link!

The example street plan design shown on pages 63-66 is between St Louis and Trenton.  Roosevelt's is near the center at the top of the plan.  SMOKE's parking lot is near the center at the bottom.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:29 pm »

I agree that it's dangerous in its current configuration.  The designers' primary ideas are to change the angled parking along the north curb from head-in to back-in and to build new curbs to narrow down the moving traffic lanes (which would be shared lanes marked with bike sharrows).

Do you think these ideas are a waste of money?  What are your suggestions for making the street safer for cyclists?  For pedestrians?

At the public meeting, there was only one person who really spoke up in opposition to the back-in angled parking proposal.  Most seemed to think back-in parking would be safer for cyclists than head-in. 

I answered under the other topic, but yes, angled in back-in parking would be much safer!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2016, 07:50:19 pm »

I answered under the other topic, but yes, angled in back-in parking would be much safer!

On the other topic, I was wanting SXSW's opinion about the proposed design of the street (but I saw your response to my reply to SXSW, and I agree with you, Conan).

Here, Conan71, I was asking if you think building new curbs and painting sharrows is a waste of money.

Also, what are your suggestions (other than back-in angled parking) for making the Peoria-to-Utica stretch of 15th safer for cyclists?  For pedestrians?

Perhaps the money spent to relocate curbs and to paint sharrows would be better spent on education and law enforcement to crack down on speeders and inattentive drivers...

saintnicster
« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2016, 12:54:26 pm »

Seems like an appropriate thread.  I just got an email that Genghis Grill is closing their Cherry Street store, directing people to the Bixby one

https://genghisgrill.myguestaccount.com/static/m131/cet10195/view.htm
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2016, 01:49:52 pm »

Seems like an appropriate thread.  I just got an email that Genghis Grill is closing their Cherry Street store, directing people to the Bixby one

Good!
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #234 on: December 19, 2016, 01:55:17 pm »

Seems like an appropriate thread.  I just got an email that Genghis Grill is closing their Cherry Street store, directing people to the Bixby one

Gotta really be craving some Genghis to drive 20 minutes to the burbs

I wonder if the recent robbery had anything to do with it
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:22:19 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
rebound
City Father

« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2016, 02:04:10 pm »

I kind of like Genghis Grill, but always felt it was out of place on Cherry Street.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »

I kind of like Genghis Grill, but always felt it was out of place on Cherry Street.

Pretty Meh.  I was “one and done” with it.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2016, 02:38:25 pm »

Pretty Meh.  I was “one and done” with it.

We only went once. The same with the chain "French" and the "upscale Mexican" places down the street. I think they both are from Dallas and both are pretty Meh.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »

We only went once. The same with the chain "French" and the "upscale Mexican" places down the street. I think they both are from Dallas and both are pretty Meh.

Mi Cocina is good, but overpriced.  (IMHO)

johrasephoenix
« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2016, 02:58:49 pm »

Cherry Street does have a lot of chains, which kind of takes away from the general awesome vibe.  It looks great walking down the sidewalk but the Subway/Genghis Grill etc kills the buzz.

Somehow downtown has avoided that pitfall.  Hopefully they can keep it up.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org