A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:10:28 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351704 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2016, 10:52:44 am »

I understand the median, to a point.  A better protection for pedestrians is curbside parking, however.  

Crosswalks, when painted, should be a contrasting, highly visible color.  Reflective white would be the best on relatively darker asphalt.

Throw in some RPMs (Raised Pavement Markers) and you're set.  Since this is Oklahoma, they need to be installed differently than Florida, in that they should be grouted deeper into the pavement to escape snow plows.

RPMs are more durable passive reflective markings than retro-reflective paint, but are usually used in conjunction with paint.
The biggest advantage is they remain visible in rain, where painted markings often disappear.  

St. Louis even has some with internal LEDs along Washington Street.

I went thru there a few weeks ago and saw their new warm 3000K LED Streetlights (that we could have instead of the depressing cold blue, if we pressed the distributor a bit).  EDIT: Not the ones pictured above.  The ones I saw are cobra-head style.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:08:19 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2016, 01:41:02 pm »

Throw in some RPMs (Raised Pavement Markers) and you're set.  Since this is Oklahoma, they need to be installed differently than Florida, in that they should be grouted deeper into the pavement to escape snow plows.

RMPs are more durable passive reflective markings than retro-reflective paint, but are usually used in conjunction with paint.
The biggest advantage is they remain visible in rain, where painted markings often disappear. 

St. Louis even has some with internal LEDs along Washington Street.

I went thru there a few weeks ago and saw their new warm 3000K LED Streetlights (that we could have instead of the depressing cold blue, if we pressed the distributor a bit).

I bet they are slicker than Vaseline on a doorknob for a cyclist when wet though.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2016, 03:53:23 pm »

I bet they are slicker than Vaseline on a doorknob for a cyclist when wet though.

Ive honestly never heard anyone raise the question before.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
saintnicster
« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2016, 04:19:50 pm »

Ive honestly never heard anyone raise the question before.

Guessing they meant the LEDs embedded in the ground.  I can't remember what the LEDs that are embedded around the CotU are like, but it seems like one of those things the designers could overlook, not having any textures. 
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #214 on: November 22, 2016, 09:06:36 am »

Speaking of midtown:
As of yesterday there are no orange barrels on Harvard.

Give thanks.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #215 on: November 22, 2016, 09:46:13 am »

Speaking of midtown:

Give thanks.

It's not midtown but, 61st & Memorial has all lanes open too.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2016, 09:59:58 am »

Just in time for those holiday shopping runs to the mall!     (Is there a sarcasm emoji?)

saintnicster
« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2016, 10:31:38 am »

Hrm, I might be able to give aldi a try now Smiley

Just in time for those holiday shopping runs to the mall!     (Is there a sarcasm emoji?)

Nevermind
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2016, 10:53:07 am »

I'm sure that was the goal.  I avoid 71st east of Memorial as much as possible this time of year.  I still go to High Gravity as required.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2016, 11:02:43 am »

Hrm, I might be able to give aldi a try now Smiley
Nevermind

Aldi's in Bixby is south of the turnpike.  Take 169.  Or try US 75 and 81st (South of Tulsa Hills)  or in BA.  Take a quarter for the shopping cart.  You get it back when you return the cart.  They also do not bag things so have a container in your vehicle or take a bag or box into the store. They have some good deals.  Some of their produce pre-packaged sizes are too much for me though.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #220 on: November 22, 2016, 11:19:49 am »

Aldi's in Bixby is south of the turnpike.  Take 169.  Or try US 75 and 81st (South of Tulsa Hills)  or in BA.  Take a quarter for the shopping cart.  You get it back when you return the cart.  They also do not bag things so have a container in your vehicle or take a bag or box into the store. They have some good deals.  Some of their produce pre-packaged sizes are too much for me though.

Funny Aldi story:

My younger daughter has started shopping at the Aldi in the Walk at Tulsa Hills and was going on and on about it over lunch the other day.  I decided I’d give it a try for a few staple items and a large turkey.  She had mentioned the .25 cart deposit and I smooth forgot about it so basically I was walking around with a 22# turkey like a bowling ball bag until the stocker noticed and gave me a box to get the rest of my items into it.

Quote from: BKDotCom on Today at 09:06:36 am
Speaking of midtown:

Give thanks.

I got my driver’s license in 1981.  31st & Harvard has been one of the roughest intersections in Tulsa since well before I could drive.  This re-make was at least 45 or so years overdue.  I can’t wait until 41st & Harvard is done, both northbound lanes will knock a molar loose.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2016, 12:38:46 pm »

Plastic, manhole covers, and even some paint is slick on a bike. Particularly if it is wet.  Obviously, if you are going straight it isn't a big concern, but in corners or if a road is turned into a track for some event - it can be a serious issue. Even on the Tour de France you see guys go down when there are think lane lines or other things on the road in corners. One of the leaders at the Olympics did the same thing this year.

But center lane markers on a normal road shouldn't be a big issue for cyclists.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2016, 09:37:59 pm »

Another Brookside restaurant closing: Sonoma Wine Bar.  I enjoyed Sonoma and will miss it.

Anyone know what will take its place?  There's also the big Hopbunz space and the Ming's space in the Consortium that are also empty.  What's with the unusually high amount of restaurant turnover lately in Brookside?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:24 pm »

Another Brookside restaurant closing: Sonoma Wine Bar.  I enjoyed Sonoma and will miss it.

Anyone know what will take its place?  There's also the big Hopbunz space and the Ming's space in the Consortium that are also empty.  What's with the unusually high amount of restaurant turnover lately in Brookside?

They started sucking....

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #224 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:56 am »

Sorry, forgot to update about the street design meeting.  Its still two years at least from beginning, he said they have to tear up and rebuild Lewis from 3rd to 21st before 15th gets started, but they have really good ideas and plenty of time for input.  It looks like they want to install dedicated bike lanes from Denver to Peoria and from Utica to Yale.  Cherry Street proper (Peoria to Utica) would be designated as shared lanes for vehicles and bikes.  I don't like that they will still have parking on both sides on Cherry Street proper, back in angle on one side parallel on the other.  I wish they'd ditch the parallel parking and widen the sidewalks.  I also wish they could bury the power line while the place is torn up, but thats a different department.  No details on lighting, I'm guessing that's a later planning stage.

Anyway, the presentation is at the link.  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Dqzlhdnu6jV3hJMDJDLU56ZWc
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:10:56 am by DowntownDan » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org