A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351628 times)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2019, 12:57:45 pm »

I agree, BurnCo and Dalessandro’s are still good anchors but it would be good to see some other options fill those holes.  Before downtown development really took off this was a pretty lively nightlife district.  I would love to see the old Louisiane building get redeveloped which also could have a trail-front patio component on the south side of 18th. 

The whole Riverview area is a gem because of its close proximity to downtown and the river, and surrounded on two sides by Maple Ridge.  It has a more residential feel but needs the commercial area around 18th & Boston to grow before large-scale infill will occur on the nearby parking lots.

The Louisiane building would be perfect for a small scale grocery store/restaurant.  It's crazy to me that Reasors at 15th and Lewis is still the closest grocery store to downtown, Riverview, and Maple Ridge.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2019, 01:29:17 pm »

That looks pretty incredible. Is there a link or is this just floating around somewhere in concept?

Here is quote from the post:

We are excited to be part of the vision for The Knoll at Maple Ridge, trailed-oriented retail located on the Midland Valley trail just north of 18th and Boston. Easily walk or bike to the Gathering Place, Maple Ridge, Cherry Street, Downtown Tulsa and more. Contact @foxallenrealty for more information.

https://www.facebook.com/lillyarchitects/?ref=page_internal
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #392 on: April 03, 2019, 01:43:58 pm »

Fantastic proposal. Really hope it becomes reality though. Seems like a lot of cool proposals have been thrown out there, but they take forever to get off the ground if they ever do. Something about this seems too nice and progressive to actually happen in Tulsa at this point, unless someone rams it through development.

If Lily is involved, I'd guess it is more than just a concept but doesn't mean it'll be built anytime soon. I don't know how this is that much nicer than many of the other things that have been designed and built all over downtown and midtown recently. This is a pretty small development and it looks like it's only 1 or 2 story retail development. Lily has worked on many far larger and far more mixed use developments. This looks like it is intended to mimic the Lodge at the Gathering Place. How is this any nicer than that as just one example?

Have you been downtown or to Brookside or Cherry Street lately?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:45:40 pm by TulsaGoldenHurriCAN » Logged
ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #393 on: April 03, 2019, 01:52:19 pm »

If Lily is involved, I'd guess it is more than just a concept but doesn't mean it'll be built anytime soon. I don't know how this is that much nicer than many of the other things that have been designed and built all over downtown and midtown recently. This is a pretty small development and it looks like it's only 1 or 2 story retail development. Lily has worked on many far larger and far more mixed use developments. This looks like it is intended to mimic the Lodge at the Gathering Place. How is this any nicer than that as just one example?

Have you been downtown or to Brookside or Cherry Street lately?

I think the reason everyone seems so excited is that the development is oriented toward the trail not the street. It suggests that there is the needed pedestrian and cyclist traffic to sustain a business. I for one am more excited about the trends this development portends than the development itself... though, I do think those grainy tiny pictures look pretty great.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #394 on: April 03, 2019, 02:31:12 pm »

I think the reason everyone seems so excited is that the development is oriented toward the trail not the street. It suggests that there is the needed pedestrian and cyclist traffic to sustain a business. I for one am more excited about the trends this development portends than the development itself... though, I do think those grainy tiny pictures look pretty great.

Exactly. Tulsa is gradually getting more urban, and I loved the continuous momentum into a more bike and walking friendly environment around downtown/riverside, but you know there's going to be lots of bitching about parking if a half-way decent restaurant goes in one of these buildings. This is the kind of place I'd love to hang out at, but I'd still have to drive across town to get there and park somewhere in a half-mile vicinity...

We do have Cherry Street and Brookside, but they also seem to have much more parking - and people still grumble about parking there. Is Tulsa ready for something that is truly urban-oriented, ie, not designed with mostly cars in mind?

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:03 pm »

Patrick Fox/Fox+Allen is behind this as well.  They completed GreenArch, proposed GreenArch II and are currently wrapping up renovations at this building at 3rd & Kenosha

ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #396 on: April 04, 2019, 08:39:19 am »

I really like this^ building its a nice addition to 3rd and a great remodel of a thoroughly uninspiring structure. It has a very LA feel for some reason.

Anyone heard anything about a tenant or is it a spec build?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #397 on: April 04, 2019, 10:17:31 am »

I've heard these rumors. Is the owner asking too much for rent? Why is it seemingly so difficult to get tenants in their quickly?

Upkeep issues were prevalent when I knew the past tenants.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #398 on: April 04, 2019, 10:53:16 am »

The Louisiane building would be perfect for a small scale grocery store/restaurant.  It's crazy to me that Reasors at 15th and Lewis is still the closest grocery store to downtown, Riverview, and Maple Ridge.

Sadly, I've heard that building is garbage and is barely standing. Too little maintenance over the years and too many remodels done cheaply cutting up too many walls.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #399 on: April 05, 2019, 09:14:11 am »

Good point! I do like when trails become busy enough to take on their own life separate from the streets. The developer mentions that it will mimic the Gathering Place look. He wants it to feel like sort of an extension of the Gathering Place which is a great idea. I'd love to bicycle those trails and have a stop there to enjoy on a nice day like today.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #400 on: April 05, 2019, 09:36:35 am »

Sadly, I've heard that building is garbage and is barely standing. Too little maintenance over the years and too many remodels done cheaply cutting up too many walls.

I've heard that too, but we were also told that the Palace Building had such extensive "earthquake damage" that the TW had no choice but to raze it, and now it's a very nice apartment building. I'm sure there are complications with that building, and I'm sure the costs are higher than normal to renovate, but there's a way. I just wish I had the money and the ability to make it work.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #401 on: April 05, 2019, 09:50:30 am »

It's time to take a "big picture" step and make some grand scheme efforts. 

Close streets to vehicle traffic in the Guthrie Green area - not just one!  Several.  Fremont St in Las Vegas style.  With covers/overhangs and everything.

Make parking/shuttles part of the design instead of just a very bad afterthought...

Canals - like every other creative city has (would that make it too cliche'...?).  Do it right - meaning better than OKC attempt.   I truly cannot believe we have not heard more about this from people who think OKC is the unicorn of city design...we want to copy them on everything else, why not this??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #402 on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:28 am »

I've heard that too, but we were also told that the Palace Building had such extensive "earthquake damage" that the TW had no choice but to raze it, and now it's a very nice apartment building. I'm sure there are complications with that building, and I'm sure the costs are higher than normal to renovate, but there's a way. I just wish I had the money and the ability to make it work.

That was so laughable, that the earthquake totaled that building. Talk about getting caught red handed in an insurance/tax write-off scam! But I'm sure they got their huge write-off/payout anyways.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #403 on: April 05, 2019, 10:04:30 am »

Canals - like every other creative city has (would that make it too cliche'...?).  Do it right - meaning better than OKC attempt.   I truly cannot believe we have not heard more about this from people who think OKC is the unicorn of city design...we want to copy them on everything else, why not this??

One has been proposed for over a decade along 6th St in the Pearl District. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2019, 02:54:55 pm »

It's time to take a "big picture" step and make some grand scheme efforts. 

Close streets to vehicle traffic in the Guthrie Green area - not just one!  Several.  Fremont St in Las Vegas style.  With covers/overhangs and everything.

Make parking/shuttles part of the design instead of just a very bad afterthought...

Who on earth has been saying that OKC is something to copy?  I usually look at them as examples of how NOT to do things. Most of what they have done is terrible, urban design wise.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org