A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:47:20 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wifi Reception Antenna Booster  (Read 5645 times)
zstyles
Philanthropist

« on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:33 am »

Anyone have any suggestions? I moved into a building with free wifi, but my office signal is weak I would love to boost the signal..suggestions?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:43:57 am »

Anyone have any suggestions? I moved into a building with free wifi, but my office signal is weak I would love to boost the signal..suggestions?

If you use a laptop, you can find a spot in the apartment with better reception.  If there is a good spot you can invest in an airport express or other wireless router and set it up as a booster rather than an access point.

I have an access point in my living room and airport expresses in my upstairs and my garage (to utilize a large plotter that my wife won't allow in the house).  It's overkill but I have no dead spots.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:12:50 pm »

Another option might be to move your WiFi device to a better spot with a USB extension cable.
You can go up to 5 meters with a plain USB2 cable, further if you use an "active" cable.

If you know where the wireless access point is, try to make a path between it and your antenna that has the least obstructions that interfere with or attenuate the signal (appliances, brick, insulation foil, heavy building materials, cordless phones)   

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:20:55 pm »

Well its a 20 story building so not sure about finding the access spot, keep in mind this is an office not an apartment building Wink
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:26:34 pm »

or there is always this option, of course it helps to find the spot with the best reception to put it in as gasp suggests

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122376&cm_re=range_extender-_-33-122-376-_-Product
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:40:02 pm »

Here are a few ideas:

http://www.cantenna.com/

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

They're both directional antennas that provide some gain over a simple laptop antenna - provided you can attach a cable to your wireless card.

Why, yes, I'm kind of an electronics geek.  Why did you ask?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »

Here are a few ideas:

http://www.cantenna.com/

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

They're both directional antennas that provide some gain over a simple laptop antenna - provided you can attach a cable to your wireless card.

Why, yes, I'm kind of an electronics geek.  Why did you ask?
Of course, with directional you would need to know which direction the access point is.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

Of course, with directional you would need to know which direction the access point is.

If hooked to a card with a signal gauge, all you have to do is keep trying directions.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »

I think that DIY page had a bit about using a software based signal strength meter.  There's probably a shareware version.

Sure enough, CNET has one:

http://download.cnet.com/WIFI-Signal-Strength/3000-2085_4-10663562.html

Ed

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »

If you are at the mercy of a wireless router that isn't under your control, I would but a cheap router that you can install a free firmware on and make into a repeater.  Or just try a good wifi adapter to start.  I bought one of these cheapos on sale this year for my media center, it was  HUGE improvement over the adapter I was using.  Also, there is a free wifi analzer app for android that will help you find the projection of the signal (guessing there is something comparable on iPhone if thats how u roll)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056&cm_re=wifi_adapter_usb-_-33-166-056-_-Product
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:11:11 pm by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 08:16:48 pm »

I have a question?   What if anything can be done about the microwave oven knocking me off line when it is running..   

When we had our old 25 year old Sears microwave it was never a problem.   It gave up the ghost we go a new and evidently more powerful Microwave and it knocks me off line in fact sometimes I even have to reset the router. 

Any suggestions? 

Trust but verify
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:28:44 pm »

I have a question?   What if anything can be done about the microwave oven knocking me off line when it is running..   

When we had our old 25 year old Sears microwave it was never a problem.   It gave up the ghost we go a new and evidently more powerful Microwave and it knocks me off line in fact sometimes I even have to reset the router. 

Any suggestions? 

You tried changing the channel that your wifi is set on?  It might be that the one you have it set on is really close to a frequency the microwave emits.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 12:31:25 am »

or install a faraday cage around your kitchen
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 10:59:14 am »

or install a faraday cage around your kitchen

If the oven is leaking microwaves, it would be more serious than radio interference.
Odds are the interference is being carried down the power cord, which suggests a plug-in RFI filter may help.
If the oven itself is leaking (radiating into the air) you need to replace it asap, and get your money back.

Can you pick up the noise on a cordless phone near the oven?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »

A quick and dirty test for line noise would be to unplug your laptop and see if it connects.  I suspect that if you're having router problems too, it's most likely line noise.  You can install an RFI filter on both the microwave and the computer or router.  Be sure the microwave is grounded too, and it's not plugged into a 2 prong adapter.

Ed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org