A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:22:31 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnco BBQ  (Read 71459 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 07:28:56 am »

Poke Chop's smoked chicken nachos.  Drizzle of Smokin' Blues (called T-Town Saucy Blues at that time) on top.  Did the same with the smoked chicken enchiladas.
They had a great process and really fell into the grove.  Pumped out consistent food every time.  Remember Andy the bartender?  Great guy, worked there for years and then moved to Sutures before that place became a dump.  All of Tom's waitstaff and kitchen staff felt like they were a part of the success and the fun of Steamroller.  There wasn't too much turnover that I'm aware of, and that was definitely a contributing factor to the success of the thing.

Even today, many of the folks that worked there, remember the experience as a highlight of their 20s.  I think Tom brings that same spirit he created when he managed Eskimo Joe's to his creations.

Low turn-over and high employee satisfaction are the hallmark of any enterprise Tom has owned or managed.  The reason I spent so much time at the original Blue Rose was mainly because you could expect to see him and Kelli there with their hands on the operation daily.  It was clean, service was great and efficient, and they served really good bar grub.  As he opened Steamroller and the second Steamroller out south, Blue Rose started to get neglected and gradually got dumpy.  Between his brother being very sick at the time and opening the second Steamroller location which over-extended him financially and time-wise, that led to the downfall.  

He's back to doing what he does best: running one place and doing it very well.  

As far as BurnCo, I'm thinking Adam should have his Hatch chile potato salad right now.  Anyone know?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:50 am »

I think they should take downtown Albert G's spot it would make a great addition to downtown.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:30:37 am by CharlieSheen » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 08:45:02 am »

I guess the two times I have been there, he was just having an "off" day....will have to try it again.  The beans were good, but the rest was unremarkable.  Third time's a charm!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 08:50:42 am »

I've lived a lot of places, and visited many more. Have eaten BBQ in most of those places. NOBODY'S BBQ has matched Burn Co. I can't understand why some would choose Rib Crib or Billy Sim's over this. It's not just great BBQ - it is a great experience. Plus, the guy cooks exclusively on Hasty Bake ovens - made about a mile away in Tulsa. Burn Co, it's a Tulsa thing!

Now if we could only get a Puerto Rican restaurant in Tulsa...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 11:08:47 am »

Now if we could only get a Puerto Rican restaurant in Tulsa...

Indeed.

I have some great plantain recipes Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
joiei
City Father

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »

I would go. We lived in San Juan when I was in the 5th and 6th grades. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
saintnicster
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 11:48:44 am »

It's official.

BurnCo. BBQ is moving to 18th Street and Boston Avenue
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/BurnCo_BBQ_is_moving_to_18th_Street_and_Boston_Avenue/22169
BurnCo. BBQ, a popular barbecue lunch spot near the University of Tulsa, is moving to a larger space at 18th Street and Boston Avenue.

The new space, located at 1738 S. Boston Ave., most recently held Treehouse BBQ and has been home for a number of different restaurants and clubs over the years.

“We’re going to knock out that back wall so the kitchen will be open to the dining room,” said Myers, co-owner of BurnCo. with his cousin, Robby Corcoran. “When people walk in they will see people cooking on a whole row of Hasty-Bake grills.

“We are going to have eight Hasty-Bakes under one vent hood and three under another. Eventually, we might wind up with 11 or 12.”

Myers said the new spot will be lunch only, but he will be able to offer more variety than he has at his current location.

“We can do steaks, chops, seafood, chicken breasts, asparagus, stuffed mushrooms, just a lot of things,” he said. “We probably will stay open to 3 or 4 for late lunches.”

Myers said a full bar is planned for the new location, but it might start off with low-point beer.

“We’ll have to see how that goes with the licenses and all,” he said.

Myers and Corcoran opened their current spot at 3208 E. 11th St. in early 2011. Myers said it will continue to operate there until the new location is ready.

“We probably will close the old place on a Friday and open at the new one on Monday,” said Myers, who spent 12 years with Hasty-Bake before going into the restaurant business. “We’re hoping for mid to late October.”
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »

It's official.

BurnCo. BBQ is moving to 18th Street and Boston Avenue
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/BurnCo_BBQ_is_moving_to_18th_Street_and_Boston_Avenue/22169

the parking is not the greatest out there now if you get there late.  At the new place it may be worse, but I typically parked behind Steamroller Blues when I went there with little problem.  I haven't been in that area in some time so don't know how the parking situation will be.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 01:24:49 pm »

I haven't been in that area in some time so don't know how the parking situation will be.

Same as it's been for 30 years, I'd imagine.  I don't see anything changing in the parking areas or any knock-downs for parking around there soon.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:50 pm »

Bad move.....!!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »

Bad move.....!!

Why?  Anything that expands the offerings and offers more space is a win in my book.  I liked him on 11th; I'll like him over in SoBo.  He has a built in following and I know many who will make the trip.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 02:32:43 pm »

Why?  Anything that expands the offerings and offers more space is a win in my book.  I liked him on 11th; I'll like him over in SoBo.  He has a built in following and I know many who will make the trip.

it's more convenient for me location and time-wise.  It will ensure I don't have to be on their doorstep before 11 to avoid the line.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2013, 04:09:28 pm »

That location is cursed.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2013, 04:13:46 pm »

That location is cursed.....

It's cursed because the people that owned it before tried to make it as startups.  BurnCo is far from it.  He has a proven business model.  Let's hope it translates well to a location away from TU.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2013, 09:22:06 pm »

Actually, Hoffbrau did well for a long time there and I think Steamroller would still be there had Tom not been distracted with opening a second location out south as well as being pre-occupied with his brother's struggle with cancer and other personal issues at the time.

Other people who occupied the space have had a business sense and moral code similar to Steve Kitchell.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org