A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:12:34 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnco BBQ  (Read 71788 times)
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 06:36:31 am »

Treehouse is closed. BurnCo is moving in there last I heard.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 07:30:16 am »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and BBQ is certainly one of those very subjective experiences that folks are passionate about.

Some will certainly seek quantity over quality, while others consider a atmosphere and price-point as an indicator of a good BBQ experience.

In my opinion Adam offers a consistent high quality BBQ experience (very hard to offer both consistency & comp. quality).  Now that he has perfected the important part, it looks like he is ready to work on the secondary elements.  It seems he has his priorities in line.

He has become a destination in Tulsa for BBQ, because has a well documented process for creating a near perfect product every day.

Being hip and trendy is secondary, and at times a handicap.  Watch him, because he's doing it right.

My rule of thumb used to be the dumpier the shack the BBQ was served in, generally the better it was.  Tut's in Muskogee, and Ethel's in Prattville are two that come to mind.  Both are long since closed.  Slick's in Muskogee was a hole in the wall but not really what I would have considered dumpy.  Wilson's on Apache was great when J.B. was still alive.    

That said, the spot BurnCo is in has been a great incubator for their business as it was for Ella's.  I just hope they don't bite off more than they can "Que" with a move to a larger location.  I have no doubt they will get plenty of business at a larger location.  Will they be able to maintain the quality while scaling up the operation?

Unfortunately Ella's did not survive their move to larger digs, but they also moved into a space which seems completely cursed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:32:39 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:46 am »

Treehouse is closed. BurnCo is moving in there last I heard.

Makes sense. That location has been a BBQ joint before.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:10 am »

Speaking about biting off more than you can "cue".  Albert G's has their front door up.  It kind of reminds me of an asian restaurant.  But it looks nice.  I'm pretty sure it will be done by 2015.  I think they have a rule only one person can be working at a time.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 09:23:22 am »

Speaking about biting off more than you can "cue".  Albert G's has their front door up.  It kind of reminds me of an asian restaurant.  But it looks nice.  I'm pretty sure it will be done by 2015.  I think they have a rule only one person can be working at a time.

Yea, I actually noticed some walls up inside the door today when I drove into work.

Funny on the work. They seem to start no later than 6:30am but either they had a ton of work to do or they really just have a few people working at time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 09:27:08 am »

Makes sense. That location has been a BBQ joint before.

Steamroller Blues. . .Voted Tulsa People's best BBQ for 4 years in a row!  Mmmmmm!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 09:50:43 am »

Steamroller Blues. . .Voted Tulsa People's best BBQ for 4 years in a row!  Mmmmmm!

And Tom was another one who bit off more than he could 'que at the time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:35 am »

And Tom was another one who bit off more than he could 'que at the time.

First time I was ever introduced to Blueberry BBQ Sauce.  I thought 'yuck' at first.  I changed my tune pretty quickly.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 03:56:13 pm »

This potential move would means I will be eating there more often Smiley

Thank you,
Robert Town
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 06:57:37 pm »

Wow Scott, wow.

Second - unremarkable food?  Best BBQ in town.  Among the best BBQ I've had anywhere. I've had many people from many places agree.

Really?  You like them better than Albert G's?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:39 pm »

Yep.  Burnco. Best in Oklahoma, hands down.

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
joiei
City Father

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:50 pm »

Really?  You like them better than Albert G's?

Absolutely.  Best restaurant bbq in these parts and Buffalo BBQ in Sperry runs a very close second. Plus Adam's specials rock. Have you tried his burnt ends and don't get me started on the Mac and cheese yum.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:26:05 pm by joiei » Logged

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 06:08:21 am »

Absolutely.  Best restaurant bbq in these parts and Buffalo BBQ in Sperry runs a very close second. Plus Adam's specials rock. Have you tried his burnt ends and don't get me started on the Mac and cheese yum.

Have you tried some of his specialty fattys or fatty sammiches?  We hung out with him at Bixby this year (until about 1am I think).  Every 10 minutes he had another fatty creation coming off of one of the grills. Some had Feta, some apples, some were blends of different german sausages.  He had a few that were rolled and spiced with all kinds of peppers, onion and other smoked meats, and yes there was rum I believe?

He frequently has a new fatty creation for lunch.  You can also go to Burn Co. and get a nice sandwich for under $6 because you are not paying for the decor, or waitstaff.  Now that he has established his prowess as a pit-master he can raise his prices to match the product.  I won't mind if my sammich costs me $8 now.  Heck, I'd pay $10!. . .and with a frosty Marshall's I'd pay $15.

Has everyone seen this?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihHXL6T1Fs[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:10:32 am by Gaspar » Logged

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 06:39:18 am »

Ahhh...
Met my wife when she was a waitress there.
Loved the chicken nacho's too ;o)

Had a lot of good eats and drinks in that place!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 07:04:36 am »

Ahhh...
Met my wife when she was a waitress there.
Loved the chicken nacho's too ;o)

Had a lot of good eats and drinks in that place!

Poke Chop's smoked chicken nachos.  Drizzle of Smokin' Blues (called T-Town Saucy Blues at that time) on top.  Did the same with the smoked chicken enchiladas.
They had a great process and really fell into the grove.  Pumped out consistent food every time.  Remember Andy the bartender?  Great guy, worked there for years and then moved to Sutures before that place became a dump.  All of Tom's waitstaff and kitchen staff felt like they were a part of the success and the fun of Steamroller.  There wasn't too much turnover that I'm aware of, and that was definitely a contributing factor to the success of the thing.

Even today, many of the folks that worked there, remember the experience as a highlight of their 20s.  I think Tom brings that same spirit he created when he managed Eskimo Joe's to his creations.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org