A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:36:53 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duke's Southern Kitchen  (Read 7596 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:45 am »

I had dinner last night at Duke's Southern Kitchen in the Spirit Bank center last night.   The shrimp and grits appetizer was well presented more of a Louisiana style shrimp and grits than a low country version.   The shrimp would of been better with about another minute in the saute pan.   The fried chicken was pretty good,  tender and moist inside with a crispy crust,  not like a KFC or Popeye's crust.   You get a whole half a chicken on this order.  The prices were not outrageous at all.   I would post a web site but can't seem to find one.   

It was worth the drive to almost Dallas for dinner and the music was great also.  A very different atmosphere for dining in Tulsa. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:49:31 pm »

Have not been to the restaurant yet but I love the big bright yellow sign.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »

Going this weekend.  The head chef is from Sonoma, The Brasserie and Ciao. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:45:05 pm »

The manager is from the Bistro at 101st.

They couldn't've asked for a better person.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:11:31 pm »

Went in Saturday night for a quick bite at the bar.

The bartender was great.

The fried chicken though?  Not so much.  I cut into it and it looked great.  I took a bite and it tasted like old fish.  Bleah.

Did I mention I hate the taste of fish?  I hate the taste of fish.

I'm guessing someone used the fish batter for the chicken.

My Marshall's beers were good though.

By the way, the manager I mentioned above has left.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:17:56 am »

We went there a couple of weeks ago and it was not good, I had Etouffee and the Roux was just plain burned. I get that Roux is hard, but this was just plain bad. My wife had the Chicken Fried Steak and it was stringy and tough.  It was a Saturday night and they were not busy, it’s not hard to see why they weren’t.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:52:34 am »

We went there a couple of weeks ago and it was not good, I had Etouffee and the Roux was just plain burned. I get that Roux is hard, but this was just plain bad. My wife had the Chicken Fried Steak and it was stringy and tough.  It was a Saturday night and they were not busy, it’s not hard to see why they weren’t.

Unless my understanding of roux is different than yours, it's not difficult.  Now making a good risotto is hard.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:03:30 am »

Unless my understanding of roux is different than yours, it's not difficult.  Now making a good risotto is hard.

It's easy to burn it, but this was scorched. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:59 am »

Roux FAIL  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:32:15 am »

Roux FAIL  Wink

Duke is not good, but have great service for what it's worth.

I prefer Chicory and Chives, they have great food, but can be very slow. Hebert's has great food too, but aren't fully committed to being a restaurant.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:50:18 am »

I've only personally made roux (Cajun Napalm) twice when I was making Gumbo.  I was successful both times but probably took at least twice as long as someone more experienced at frying flour.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org