A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:47:58 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Fe Cattle Co.  (Read 11599 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: January 21, 2011, 09:10:35 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Glenpool
Date/Time of Visit: noon on Thursday January 20th
Quality of Food (1-5): 3
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 3
Price ($-$$$$$): $
What makes this restaurant unique: nothing. It is a chain with restaurants in six southern states.

Tell us about your experience: The decor is wood floors with peanut shells with oversized high tables and metal chairs. The walls are cluttered with anything that looks cowboy or old west. On the table is a bucket of peanuts in the shell and they have a barrel full of them by the front door if you have to wait to be seated.

They have a pretty full menu of beef. You can order ten different cuts of steak and the have at least that many burger options. They do have chicken options and a few salads.

I order a bowl for my peanut shells and the lady tells me to throw them on the ground. I explain that I don't litter and she winces then returns with a bowl. This is a business meeting with Glenpool and Jenks city officials so we take our time ordering and eat quite a few of the peanuts.

On the menu they have a Western Filly ( a philly steak sandwich) I really question the brains to name a menu item in a steak restaurant after a horse. She doesn't get the joke and explains that it is a sandwich with onions and peppers.

I order a beef burrito and others order burgers or chicken fried steaks. The food is done quickly and my burrito is very tasty. It have lots of little strips of flank steak and rice and is covered with a spicy cheese sauce and jalepenos.

The waitress is very attentive and brings refills on drinks quickly. They have fluffy hot dinner rolls and a honey butter that was good and the waitress brought us fresh hot ones without being asked.

The lunches all run around seven dollars and the drinks were over two dollars for a soda.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:19 am »

One in Broken Arrow, too.

Nothing unique - just like all the other peanuts-on-the-floor restaurants.  Not bad at all, just not exceptional.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:04:16 am »

Nothing unique - just like all the other peanuts-on-the-floor restaurants.  Not bad at all, just not exceptional.

That was my impression also. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:10:35 pm »

The one at 121st and Memorial was evidently unexceptional enough to go under.

I wonder if they use real Philly Steak Sandwich / Hoagie rolls or just a "sub" roll.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 02:24:42 pm »

I ate at the one in MWC a week or so before Christmas.  I got whatever their super spicy burger is supposed to be. "Hotter than Alabama asphalt" was their claim.  Meh, what passes for spicy with the rest of the masses is pretty weak in my book.  I can make better at home, that's why I rarely eat at chains.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:41:50 pm »

I ate at the one in MWC a week or so before Christmas.  I got whatever their super spicy burger is supposed to be. "Hotter than Alabama asphalt" was their claim.  Meh, what passes for spicy with the rest of the masses is pretty weak in my book.  I can make better at home, that's why I rarely eat at chains.

Sounds like someone needs to shop at one of my favorite haunts.

http://www.extremefood.com/shop/home.php

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:57:29 pm »

I don't like hot for the sake of hot.  A guy who used to work for me liked to impress his dining companions by how he could eat the red peppers in oil at an Asian restaurant, or anything with cayenne or habanero.  Thing was, I'm sure he blasted his taste buds so much that he couldn't taste or enjoy the rest of the meal, he would have sweat rolling off his forehead.  Personally, I thought it was an obnoxious display of stupidity.

I use spice to bring out other flavors and enjoy a mellow heat you get on the middle and back of your tongue.  I don't much care for something which attacks the lips and tip of the tongue for 20 minutes.  I've got some home-made chipotle that will strip paint, I have to use it sparingly.  That's one thing I have in common with Red Arrow, we both smoke our own home-grown jalapenos.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:27:19 pm »

That's one thing I have in common with Red Arrow, we both smoke our own home-grown jalapenos.

It's a little difficult to get them lit though.

dbacks fan
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »

Looking at the menu it sounds a lot like Lone Star, or Texas Roadhouse, and I can count the number of times I've be to those two on one hand and not get past 3.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:33:46 pm »

It's a little difficult to get them lit though.

That's not the problem, it's how harsh those little buggers are once I do get them lit and start to inhale.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:47 pm »

That's not the problem, it's how harsh those little buggers are once I do get them lit and start to inhale.

Take the seeds out.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:24:04 pm »

I don't like hot for the sake of hot.  A guy who used to work for me liked to impress his dining companions by how he could eat the red peppers in oil at an Asian restaurant, or anything with cayenne or habanero.  Thing was, I'm sure he blasted his taste buds so much that he couldn't taste or enjoy the rest of the meal, he would have sweat rolling off his forehead.  Personally, I thought it was an obnoxious display of stupidity.

I use spice to bring out other flavors and enjoy a mellow heat you get on the middle and back of your tongue.  I don't much care for something which attacks the lips and tip of the tongue for 20 minutes.  I've got some home-made chipotle that will strip paint, I have to use it sparingly.  That's one thing I have in common with Red Arrow, we both smoke our own home-grown jalapenos.

The thing about Blair's sauces is that they are flavorful--not just a$$kicking hot (although he certainly does have those).

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:06 pm »

Take the seeds out.

LOL! Damn seed burns!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 06:16:21 pm »

You guys are doing it all wrong....

First, you gotta dry the peppers.  Then chop them fairly fine.  (You can substitute the peppers in the shaker at any pizza place - or like the ones Kings Food Host at 31st and Sheridan used to have.)

MUST use quality rolling papers.  Zig Zags are great!  Roll them tight, so you can get a good draw.

And they will still be harsh!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacks fan
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 08:09:59 pm »

You guys are doing it all wrong....

First, you gotta dry the peppers.  Then chop them fairly fine.  (You can substitute the peppers in the shaker at any pizza place - or like the ones Kings Food Host at 31st and Sheridan used to have.)

MUST use quality rolling papers.  Zig Zags are great!  Roll them tight, so you can get a good draw.

And they will still be harsh!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org