A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:00 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top That Pizza  (Read 165978 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2011, 07:23:44 am »

I hope they don't turn into RibCrib, where they get a little TOO big for their britches, so to speak, by increasing the number of locations.  I've not been yet, but one of my good friends raves about it.

Pizza as a chain or franchise concept isn't terribly hard to ensure the QC of the product.  You might have variations in the service, but not the food.

BBQ is a whole lot different to pull off.  Since there's more of an art and passion to BBQ it seems to lose something when it becomes a chain concept.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2011, 07:25:16 am »

Pizza as a chain or franchise concept isn't terribly hard to ensure the QC of the product.  You might have variations in the service, but not the food.

BBQ is a whole lot different to pull off.  Since there's more of an art and passion to BBQ it seems to lose something when it becomes a chain concept.

I'm just a big proponent of 'niche' places that don't try to be more than they are.

And I would curb that statement about heart/passion with pizza when you talk to a Chicagoan.   Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:36 am »

And I would curb that statement about heart/passion with pizza when you talk to a Chicagoan  Pfffft.

Agreed.  And of course New Jersey style is the way to go.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2011, 12:11:04 pm »

COME ON!!  Gaspar, tell us where it is going to be!!!!

Same people, or a franchise?

And tell them to go to Moore, OK next.  Around 19th street on I-35.  (Am by there regularly and need a place to stop to eat from time to time.)  There are other attractions at that corner like 5 Guys Burgers, Earl's BBQ, McAlisters, Ricky's Mexican, and even a Mazzio's (blech!), and McDonalds.  There are plenty of places to draw a crowd to the area.

Ok. . . .71st and Aspen.  You can see it now finishing construction on the corner by Billy Simm's.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2011, 07:42:56 am »

Way cool!!!

Hoss, you gotta try it!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2011, 03:29:13 pm »

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2011, 04:08:53 pm »

Was there again over the weekend.  Same great pizza. 

Pop machine appears to be nonviable.  While there, I saw the changing of the syrup cartridge.  After the change, the soda out the nozzle took WAY long to become root beer again.  And the cartridge is incredibly small.  That has to be a major hassle for the staff. 

If up to me, I would wait for next generation to see if Coke can get it closer to right.

The mix is still kind of funky.  If manual adjustment is not possible to fix the mix, that just means another check mark against that machine.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2011, 09:07:53 pm »

Aside from that, those machines create a bottle neck while people first try and figure out how to work it and then trying to figure out what it is they want to drink.  I'm guessing the cartridges are highly concentrated and don't require multiple changes per shift, otherwise it would never fly.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2011, 06:18:24 am »

Aside from that, those machines create a bottle neck while people first try and figure out how to work it and then trying to figure out what it is they want to drink.  I'm guessing the cartridges are highly concentrated and don't require multiple changes per shift, otherwise it would never fly.

The cartrages last much longer than standard syrup for the same volume!

They are exactly the same as syrup except for the high water content.

They may add multiple machines per location if traffic becomes a problem.

The mix can be adjusted and even new flavors added. . . online!

They actually have the same groups come in every day for a pizza and to try multiple sodas.  One of those groups consists of people in the offices to the West who send a runner across the street several times a day for drinks.

It has been a huge success, but that does not mean it can't stand improvement.  I will pass along everyone's comments.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2011, 07:45:08 am »

The cartrages last much longer than standard syrup for the same volume!

They are exactly the same as syrup except for the high water content.

They may add multiple machines per location if traffic becomes a problem.

The mix can be adjusted and even new flavors added. . . online!

They actually have the same groups come in every day for a pizza and to try multiple sodas.  One of those groups consists of people in the offices to the West who send a runner across the street several times a day for drinks.

It has been a huge success, but that does not mean it can't stand improvement.  I will pass along everyone's comments.

For economy of space and selection, you simply cannot beat the novelty of the machine.  My only experience with one so far has been at the Mazzio's at 51st & Union and 41st & Peoria (Yeah, I know, still get cravings for sub-par pizza every now and then).  At least the machine they have requires a manual ice fill.  Couple inattentive employees and five people trying to figure out how the machine works and it can take a few minutes to get a drink.  Of course could just be a west side thing too.  (JK, Angie B!)

Seriously, I think there's a learning curve, once people figure the machines out, they won't remember how the old soda fountains worked.  Convenience stores like QT or On Cue (OKC's QT equivalent) could save some valuable space with these machines.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:31 am »

The machine is fun to play with.  From customer standpoint it is a big win, I think.  I am just also thinking about how to manage that style when I get my own machine to work with.

There was a big line (about 8 or 9) when I was there, so had to just sit and wait a while.  No biggie, but was dinner and in no rush.  At lunch, I could have been slightly irked because of the attending rush that accompanies lunch.

The mix is the only thing about the entire place that is not dialed in very well.  Every flavor I have tried (Coke, Root beer, dr. pepper, and sprite) has had that standard fountain "weak" taste where it is less 'concentrated' than a bottled soda.  Don't know if it is intentional here to try to get just a little more out of each cartridge, or if the machine standard "5:1" just gives different results than a bottle - less flavorful.  (Either way, it needs just slightly more concentrate to be on a par - even taking into account the dilution of melty ice - I use bare minimum ice.)

Would still like to see vanilla separate so could mix with Orange Crush.  What a "Dream"-sicle that would be!!

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2011, 07:49:34 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=46&articleid=20110812_46_E1_Tulsab819272

Top That! Coming to Tulsa Hills

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2011, 08:04:04 am »

Their name itself makes it seem like you are really excited.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:40 am »

Their name itself makes it seem like you are really excited.

Well, it was created by a woman with over 20 years experience creating marketing for restaurants.  She develops everything with excruciating detail.

BTW, What does everyone think of mushroom pizzas? 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2011, 08:11:14 am »

BTW, What does everyone think of mushroom pizzas? 

They're loads of Fun-gus.

Ar ar ar ar.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org