A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:06:23 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top That Pizza  (Read 165994 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 07:16:00 pm »

Polyethylene.  Wax went out a long time ago.  Like when I was a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cup

Check out the environmental impact section.  Worse than I thought.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 07:51:12 am »

New 100% plant based bottle introduced by Pepsico:

epsiCo Inc. unveiled a new bottle Tuesday made entirely of plant material that it says bests the technology of competitor Coca-Cola and reduces bottles' carbon footprint.

The bottle is made from switch grass, pine bark, corn husks and other materials. Ultimately, Pepsi plans to also use orange peels, oat hulls, potato scraps and other leftovers from its food business.

The new bottle looks, feels and protects the drink inside exactly the same as its current bottles, said Rocco Papalia, senior vice president of advanced research at PepsiCo.

"It's a beautiful thing to behold," he said. "It's indistinguishable."

PepsiCo says it is the world's first bottle of a common type of plastic called PET made entirely of plant materials. Coca-Cola Co. currently produces a bottle using 30 percent plant-based materials and recently estimated it would be several years before it has a 100 percent plant bottle that's commercially viable.

"We've cracked the code," Papalia said.

PepsiCo announced the discovery Tuesday and said it plans to test the product in 2012 in a few hundred thousand bottles. Once the company is sure it can successfully produce the bottle at that scale, it will begin converting all its products over.

That could mean a switch of billions of bottles sold each year. Of Pepsi's 19 biggest brands, those that generate more than $1 billion in revenue, 11 are beverage brands that use PET.

Scientists said the technology is important innovation in

packaging.

"This is the beginning of the end of petroleum-based plastics," said Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council and director of its waste management project. "When you have a company of this size making a commitment to a plant-based plastic, the market is going to respond."

Traditional PET plastic is made using fossil fuels, including petroleum, a limited resource that's rising in price. By using plant material instead, companies reduce their environmental impact.

PepsiCo wouldn't specify the cost to research and design the new bottle, but Papalia said it is in the millions of dollars.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=461&articleid=20110316_461_E3_CUTLIN945208

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:24 am »

These have been around for a couple of years. Most of the early models were corn-based.

We need to stop making things out of oil. Oil is needed for more important tasks like powering our cars.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 08:31:33 am »

These have been around for a couple of years. Most of the early models were corn-based.

We need to stop making things out of oil. Oil is needed for more important tasks like powering our cars.

Question: are the plant-based plastics recyclable?  How long does it take for plastics like this to break down?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:10 am »

Yes. Some of the earlier versions were not. The ones that claim to be compostable were difficult to mix with others.

PET is PET. It doesn't matter how it is made.

Power is nothing till you use it.
dbacks fan
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 08:50:42 am »

I saw this in Colorado about six years ago. Takes about 12 weeks to completely breakdown and can be composted.

http://www.biotaspringwater.com/?q=bottle
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 11:34:45 am »

May require an anaerobic digestion process using a thermophilic reaction.  As opposed to the lower temperature mesophilic based reaction.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 09:53:43 pm »

Gaspar, more feedback for you to give, if you are still doing that.

Went to Top That again Friday night.  Still great pizza.  (I particularly liked the wrist band one of the kids had on that said "grumble".  It appeals to my warped sense of humor.)

Plenty of people.  Lots of kids.  Nice place.

Dug a little deeper on the drinks.  (Previous time had some allergy things going that interfered with the taste).  The drinks Friday were very weak.  Tasted like the mix ratio was set way too high.  This was consistent between Coke, Pibb, and Sprite.  Way too much carbonation to syrup ratio.  SWMBO had root beer in bottle that was very good.

Will continue going for the pizza - still excellent - even exceptional, but will do water for a while, give them a chance to get it right.

Other note;  got a couple of bio-degradable plastic spoons from a froyo place over the weekend.  Will try to bio-degrade it over the next few weeks.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 11:38:10 pm »

Went to Top That again Friday night.  Still great pizza.  (I particularly liked the wrist band one of the kids had on that said "grumble".  It appeals to my warped sense of humor.)

Dug a little deeper on the drinks.  (Previous time had some allergy things going that interfered with the taste).  The drinks Friday were very weak.  Tasted like the mix ratio was set way too high.  This was consistent between Coke, Pibb, and Sprite.  Way too much carbonation to syrup ratio.  SWMBO had root beer in bottle that was very good.

Will continue going for the pizza - still excellent - even exceptional, but will do water for a while, give them a chance to get it right.

Other note;  got a couple of bio-degradable plastic spoons from a froyo place over the weekend.  Will try to bio-degrade it over the next few weeks.

Funny..kind of off topic too, but until this last week I would have simply said 'huh?' to your Froyo comment.  Until I got an Android phone that is...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:13 am »

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 08:45:16 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  There will be major changes coming to the soft drink fountain at Top That!  Wink

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »

We discovered a froyo place in Norman last week.  Orange Leaf, I think is name.  Then two more later in the week and weekend in Tulsa/Broken Arrow.  Serve yourself frozen yogurt.  Interesting.  Biggest problem I have is as in so many areas - self restraint.

Kind of  a fad-ish place, but good.

Gaspar,
Good to hear.  I don't have a fountain in my little enterprise yet (cans only), but when I do, I plan to run around a 3:1 ratio.  Well, maybe not - probably 4.5:1 or 4.8:1.  Just a little bit richer than recommended.  I found a place a ways down the turnpike that once in a while gets their machine set that way and it is heaven!  I stop by about every time I go near just to get a drink.   Yeah, I know - it is bad for me - too much high fructose corn syrup.  But that's that nature of addiction, ain't it?

Seems like their bag system is in the back with the fountain up in front.  Distance seems a little long.  Can't really see a way to improve on that without moving the background stuff out front.

Let me know when the changes are in place, so I can check it out.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 12:35:02 pm »

We discovered a froyo place in Norman last week.  Orange Leaf, I think is name.  Then two more later in the week and weekend in Tulsa/Broken Arrow.  Serve yourself frozen yogurt.  Interesting.  Biggest problem I have is as in so many areas - self restraint.

Kind of  a fad-ish place, but good.

Gaspar,
Good to hear.  I don't have a fountain in my little enterprise yet (cans only), but when I do, I plan to run around a 3:1 ratio.  Well, maybe not - probably 4.5:1 or 4.8:1.  Just a little bit richer than recommended.  I found a place a ways down the turnpike that once in a while gets their machine set that way and it is heaven!  I stop by about every time I go near just to get a drink.   Yeah, I know - it is bad for me - too much high fructose corn syrup.  But that's that nature of addiction, ain't it?

Seems like their bag system is in the back with the fountain up in front.  Distance seems a little long.  Can't really see a way to improve on that without moving the background stuff out front.

Let me know when the changes are in place, so I can check it out.

Sam's is my favorite.  I don't know why, but they have the mix set just right!

From what I hear the changes to the soda bar will be ". . .like nothing else in Tulsa."

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 12:36:44 pm »

Better than Quik Trip??  How can that be???

Sam's??  Sam's Club??

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:35 pm »

Safari night tonight at Top That! 

Come on out and bring the kids.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org