A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:00:30 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crosswalk timers  (Read 27419 times)
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 11:49:31 am »

The cross walk timers are for walkers and when they hit "zero" it just means that walkers are  not supposed to leave the curb because there is not enough time to cross the street before the  traffic light lets the cars go thru. Councle Bluffs Iowa has countdown timers for some of the traffic lights for motor traffic so you know when the yellow & red light is coming up as you approach the green light. That way you know how long ya got to make the intersection before the light goes yellow/red. Most are located in the downtown district, they also use red light cameras there too to ticket drivers who run red lights.

Incorrect. The ones with the 10 second delay leave you just enough time to walk across the street if you hustle. The ones without a delay leave you stranded in the middle of the street when the light turns.

And every one I've every seen in other cities, the zero corresponds with the end of the green light. It doesn't really matter how they set them up, as long as they're all the same. But they sure as heck shouldn't make you guess or try to memorize every downtown intersection as to which timers are set up which way.

dbacks fan
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 12:09:52 pm »

Incorrect. The ones with the 10 second delay leave you just enough time to walk across the street if you hustle. The ones without a delay leave you stranded in the middle of the street when the light turns.

And every one I've every seen in other cities, the zero corresponds with the end of the green light. It doesn't really matter how they set them up, as long as they're all the same. But they sure as heck shouldn't make you guess or try to memorize every downtown intersection as to which timers are set up which way.

All of the ones here in the Phoenix metro area are set up that when the counter hit zero the light changes from green to yellow. Doesn't matter which city in the valley they all operate the same.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:36 pm »

Yep, I crossed at 13th and Denver and the light changed to Red as soon as the timer countdown concluded. The dogs and I had to hurry to get out of traffic.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 04:30:35 pm »

I still say that they have the inconsistancies because they figured it would go with the standard time for crossing, and make up the difference on the timing needed for the synchronized traffic lights by adding on after the timer.  I have seen these in other cities as well and the lights always change to yellow when the timer hits zero. 

And Kraut, THERE ARE NO RED LIGHT CAMERAS IN TULSA
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 10:23:21 pm »

I still say that they have the inconsistancies because they figured it would go with the standard time for crossing, and make up the difference on the timing needed for the synchronized traffic lights by adding on after the timer.  I have seen these in other cities as well and the lights always change to yellow when the timer hits zero.

Maybe it would help if Tulsa didnt shorten it's yellow lights...

http://www.shortyellowlights.com/standards/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »

Okay someone with severe OCD has way too much time on their hands

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 11:31:36 pm »

Okay someone with severe OCD has way too much time on their hands

You talking about Patric or the author of that website...

...ducks and runs.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org