A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:21:28 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crosswalk timers  (Read 27420 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:16 am »

I got pulled over for a U-turn at the intersection at the stop sign at OSU-Tulsa. I can't really see where that's illegal under those laws the "official traffic-control signal light device" referenced in the law seems to be an extremely wordy way of saying stoplight. There was no other traffic at the intersection. I have a small car, so I was able to complete the u-turn in one movement.

I just got a warning anyway.

As for those 'no left turn' signs, as someone who does most of his driving at off hours, it irritates the piss out of me that I can't turn left at those intersections at off-peak hours. There's no valid reason to ban left turns at 11pm, other than giving cops more reasons to pull people over.

They have lots of 'no left turn' signs around town that are only in effect during certain hours. There shouldn't be any 24/7 no left turn signs.

When I lived in Houston that was quite popular, but the signs were plainly posted and the restrictions were usually common sense, like on busy arterials the signs would say 'No Left Turn hours 7AM-9AM, 4PM-6PM'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 11:44:16 am »

These new crosswalk timers are still jacked up. Most of them have an extra 7-10 seconds after the countdown reaches zero. A few of them have no extra time.

I still maintain the old crosswalks were better. At least then I knew the flashing don't walk meant I still had time to make it across. Now it's just guessing whether there's a bunch of extra time after zero.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 11:46:35 am »

These new crosswalk timers are still jacked up. Most of them have an extra 7-10 seconds after the countdown reaches zero. A few of them have no extra time.

I still maintain the old crosswalks were better. At least then I knew the flashing don't walk meant I still had time to make it across. Now it's just guessing whether there's a bunch of extra time after zero.

Most of the ones I've encountered don't seem to have the extra 7-10 seconds.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:26 am »

I like knowing how long I have to turn left onto Elgin and still hit a green lite going through 2nd street. Plus, I don't like having to sit in front of that bookstore waiting for the light to change. There's so much pedestrian traffic down in that area.....not. Cheesy
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 12:13:53 pm »

I've been paying attention to them, and it just didn't seem to make sense as to why some would go longer than others until something occured to me, the timing of the lights.  They are set up so that on the one ways you catch them green as long as your going 20mph.  I have to assume that there is a set time to how long the crosswalks are supposed to be white, flash, solid and count.  The time after this that seems to vary on these after the count down would seem to be the differance of the time the lights have to stay red to keep this timing accurate.  Makes sense to me anyhow.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32:13 pm »

I like knowing how long I have to turn left onto Elgin and still hit a green lite going through 2nd street. Plus, I don't like having to sit in front of that bookstore waiting for the light to change. There's so much pedestrian traffic down in that area.....not. Cheesy

Go on Friday and Saturday.  There was literally a traffic jam on eastbound 2nd Street as I was trying to get to 244 last Saturday night.

Oh, wait, you won't go downtown.  So how the hell can you speak as to how busy it is anytime of the day or night.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 01:06:45 pm »

Go on Friday and Saturday.  There was literally a traffic jam on eastbound 2nd Street as I was trying to get to 244 last Saturday night.

Oh, wait, you won't go downtown.  So how the hell can you speak as to how busy it is anytime of the day or night.

I go downtown. And I like Petula Clarke too. I was downtown just last night. Had a beer at Fassler Hall and listened to the Rangers and GAT beneath the loud murmur of boozers yacking it up. Between sets visited with two of Tulsa's most premier drummers.

Downtown is just ok. Lots of alcohol drugs downtown. Lots and lots of self medicators too. Wink
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »

I go downtown. And I like Petula Clarke too. I was downtown just last night. Had a beer at Fassler Hall and listened to the Rangers and GAT beneath the loud murmur of boozers yacking it up. Between sets visited with two of Tulsa's most premier drummers.

Downtown is just ok. Lots of alcohol drugs downtown. Lots and lots of self medicators too. Wink

?
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 01:29:14 pm »

Downtown rodents! Grin

* 231081-ugly-animals.jpg (55.39 KB - downloaded 438 times.)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »

Downtown rodents! Grin

Looks like a Yorkshire Terrier who had a bad run in with a blow torch.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:45 pm »

Saw it waiting on the crosswalk changers to turn last night at 3rd and Elgin.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:23 pm »

Saw it waiting on the crosswalk changers to turn last night at 3rd and Elgin.

Coming out of the book store?

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 03:40:15 pm »

Coming out of the book store?

Yes....IT was crawling out of the book store! You better stay away from going back in... Smiley
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »

Last night <> Weekend.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 10:47:40 am »

The cross walk timers are for walkers and when they hit "zero" it just means that walkers are  not supposed to leave the curb because there is not enough time to cross the street before the  traffic light lets the cars go thru. Councle Bluffs Iowa has countdown timers for some of the traffic lights for motor traffic so you know when the yellow & red light is coming up as you approach the green light. That way you know how long ya got to make the intersection before the light goes yellow/red. Most are located in the downtown district, they also use red light cameras there too to ticket drivers who run red lights.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org