A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:10:57 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zingo for sale on ebay  (Read 23632 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »

Why were you in Randi Miller's bed?

Getting a case of open sores.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »

Why were you in Randi Miller's bed?

I went there to clean her pipes pool

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:45 pm »

The word that I got today is that he doesn't really expect it to sell, and doesn't want to sell it, but is using this as a ruse to get the investors to step up.
waterboy
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:54 pm »

Will any local or state building codes let you build a coaster, or any other major public structure out of 40+ year old wood that has been exposed for that long?

I don't know about codes, but the wood is probably fine, especially if stored correctly. Its practically pickled, having been pressure treated with chemicals. It also has a tendency to harden with age. If it is clear grade and from older forest growth I suspect it has some value. That much value I doubt.

But really, the part that amuses me is that he didn't recognize that Zingo WAS THE most important ride he had! What was more important? Phantasmagoria? Log Flume? Cable cars? Zingo was the thing people knew them by.
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:29 pm »

Build the new Bells at the site of the Admiral Twin, along with a new screen, and you gotta deal...

Now that is the best idea I have heard in a while. 

Trust but verify
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:13 am »

The word that I got today is that he doesn't really expect it to sell, and doesn't want to sell it, but is using this as a ruse to get the investors to step up.

The only investors are the Bells.  I don't think there's anyone who wants a piece of the action.  Sounds like the Price family is ready to get shed of them as well.  As soon as the FB booted them off Expo Square, they killed Bell's for good.  I didn't believe it at the time as I think there was any number of people willing to help.  With the passing of time, Bell's is yet one more fond fading memory of Tulsa.  No one is quite as sentimental as they are when an icon like that is torn down, then time kind of seals over the memory.  As well, the Bell family has become sort of a characature in recent times.

I simply don't think there's a municipality within a 100 mile radius of Tulsa who will loan them the kind of money they need to do this.  There certainly aren't any banks lining up or they would have been back in business already.  It's not about finding suitable land, it's about finding very cheap, free, or even land they'd pay you to locate on at this point.  They may have spent millions on ride equipment over the years, but it's got very, very little collateral value since not everyone is looking for a wooden roller coaster, a Himilaya, or log flume cars.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:49 am »

I don't know about codes, but the wood is probably fine, especially if stored correctly. Its practically pickled, having been pressure treated with chemicals. It also has a tendency to harden with age. If it is clear grade and from older forest growth I suspect it has some value. That much value I doubt.

But really, the part that amuses me is that he didn't recognize that Zingo WAS THE most important ride he had! What was more important? Phantasmagoria? Log Flume? Cable cars? Zingo was the thing people knew them by.

They certainly are being stored carefully in that field in Gunboat Park
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 09:31:24 am »

Who's up for a 400k bonfire in may?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:14 am »

Who's up for a 400k bonfire in may?

No sense in burning the track, cars, chain etc.

I think he said he'd let the wood go for a mere $250K.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:20 am »

They certainly are being stored carefully in that field in Gunboat Park

The structural wood was outdoors the entire time it was assembled as a roller coaster though.  So long as it's not resting on the dirt, I doubt it's deteriorated a whole lot.  I simply question the salvage value of all that used  lumber as being $250K. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:58 am »

Robbie's mother is the head of the Republican party here isn't she?

Maybe she can have them build a huge grandstand out of it.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 10:09:04 am »

Maybe she can have them build a huge grandstand out of it.
Zing(o)!

---Robert
dbacks fan
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »

I spoke with a couple of managers in our building code and engineering department, and the only way they  would approve it is if it was dismantled moved and reassembled. With the wood having been in storage for 4+ years and not know how it had been stored, they would not approve the use of the wood.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 03:57:37 pm »

Update: I drove through Gunboat Park today and there's not a stick of Zingo wood I could see outside, mainly stanchios from various rides, some ticket booths, some of the rides, ride cars, etc.  Curious where they piled all that up, it was a lot of wood.

Also, as far as large wood structures: they are almost impossible to insure.  A good recent example is the Admiral Twin screen.

Smokinokie
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:26 pm »

I'm very surprised at the "hate on Bells" theme here. I expected at least a little support for the Bell family or at least for Robbie. I have known the family for over 30 years.
While I have lost contact with Robbie, I still consider him a friend. That may make me a little biased.  Huh

As for the lumber, all the structural members are center cut. Strong stuff!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:00:08 pm by Smokinokie » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org