A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:52:15 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Arizona Massacre  (Read 93763 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:35 pm »

I have been thinking about the events of the day here in AZ, and having watched the news from both sides, I think the best comments came form Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, "Vitriol might be free speech, but it's not without consequences." and I agree with his laying the blame at members of the talk radio and talk tv as fueling the levels of anger and that it may cause a person with mental issues to take action. I also have to agree with his comment about Arizona becoming the "Mecca of bigotry in this country" it has been brewing here for the last three to four years.

There is enough blame for what hapened today on the left the right and the center of politics. And I have to say that I am saddened by the events, but I am not suprised. Today could have happened anywhere in the US, it just happened to have occured here.

Thank you, just my $.02
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »

Pretty crass statement, even for you...considering what happened.  Not surprising though.

Roll Eyes

Just trying to fit in with the direction of your incompetent post above......

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 10:51:23 pm »

Just trying to fit in with the direction of your incompetent post above......

Yeah, but I notice no one is arguing the fact.  Including you.  Other than to note about 'circle jerks'.

Palin DID post the map and had the crosshairs.  Now, regardless of whether or not the intent was there, it was a pretty stupid thing to do.

Oh, unless you're a rabid Palin supporter.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:55:53 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 10:59:58 pm »

Palin also made this lovely one:

and of course the infamous crosshairs:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:02:46 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 11:09:13 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/mGMts.png

Yep, that's what I'm referring to.  Someone over on the Whirled page commented that someone had taken the photo down today.  I'm wondering why it took from last March until now to take it down?  I guess Palin is a little REactive as opposed to PROactive.

This is exactly the kind of vitriol (along with Jesse Kelley, Gifford's Republican opponent in the last election, who hosted a shooting event with the following invitation:"Get on Target for Victory" — "Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office" by shooting a "fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly") that causes crap like this.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »

Let's also not forget those loving words of inspiration from Uncle Glenn;

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2010/12/01/tally-grows-of-viewers-moved-to-violence-by-becks-rants/
dbacks fan
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 11:25:31 pm »

I think I found a link from my previous post to the youtube ramblings of today.

“Rich, like myself, loved Glenn Beck,” Eddie Perkovic, Poplawski’s best friend told reporter Will Bunch of Media Matters, among others. Prior to the shooting, Poplawski reportedly was “obsessed” with two of Beck’s pet theories: that there is an imminent food crisis and that paper money will soon be worthless. Like Kimbley and Williams, Poplawski worried that the government planned to intern dissidents in concentration camps.

And:

Beck proclaimed in January that like the “Israeli Nazi hunters … I’m going to expose what [progressives] have done and make sure that people understand.” In June, he said “anarchists, Marxists, communists, revolutionaries, Maoists” would need to “eliminate 10% of the population” to “gain control.” In July, he said that “[t]he army… of the extreme left is gathering” and that it believes that cops are bad, kill the cops, they’re the oppressors. In September, he warned, “Violence will come. And violence will come from the left. Violence is part of the plan.”

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:42:54 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
eDuece
Citizen

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 11:30:59 pm »

I'll bet there are some Arizona gun shop owners sweating bullets right now hoping this guy didn't purchase the gun and extra clips from them.
Also, you can  bet somewhere someone is combing old Arizona Tea Party rally videos hoping to find this guy waving a placard.

As an open carry state, could the cops have stopped this guy as he approached the rally while carrying his Glock  or would that have been violating his constitutional rights and the Arizona open carry law (until he opened fire, of course, which then becomes illegal)?
dbacks fan
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:44 pm »

As an open carry state, could the cops have stopped this guy as he approached the rally while carrying his Glock  or would that have been violating his constitutional rights and the Arizona open carry law (until he opened fire, of course, which then becomes illegal)?

No they could not stop or try to stop him unless he was making an overt or obvious threat.
waterboy
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 11:26:56 am »

Doesn't it seem odd that a guy who was refused admittance by the military, likely for drug charges and mental instability, was able to purchase a gun and receive a permit? Shouldn't there be some sharing of information between the gun permitters and the military and police? Just wondering out loud.

It's ironic that the very things this guy railed about (restraints on freedom of speech, government intrusion into personal freedoms, gun control) are more likely to occur because of his actions.

Sheriff Dupnik was great. Very controlled and able.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 02:12:45 pm »

Doesn't it seem odd that a guy who was refused admittance by the military, likely for drug charges and mental instability, was able to purchase a gun and receive a permit? Shouldn't there be some sharing of information between the gun permitters and the military and police?

"The suspect purchased a firearm legally — and after passing an FBI background check — from Sportsman's Warehouse's Tucson store in November, the company's vice president of hunting operations told FoxNews.com.

Loughner did not present a concealed weapons permit so he was required to pass an FBI background check, which he did "immediately and without incident," said Matt French, speaking from the Sportsman's Warehouse's Utah headquarters."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/09/arizona-suspected-gunman-no-stranger-to-trouble/#ixzz1AZS3lqKR

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:25 pm »

How many rounds in an extended clip?  20 people were hit (killed or wounded, with at least one bullet apiece); add in the inevitable misses and that amounts to more than one, right?  
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »

Notice you did post the bulls eye on Giffords from the freakin DAILY KOS.

And again from Kos.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:egHLC2hTfZoJ:www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1/6/933828/-My-CongressWOMAN-voted-against-Nancy-Pelosi!-And-is-now-DEAD-to-me!+My-CongressWOMAN-voted-against-Nancy-Pelosi+dailykos&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's a great piece tearing into the "Blame Palin" hypocrisy that was accurately described by breadburner as a circle jerk.

http://patterico.com/2011/01/08/markos-blames-palin-for-giffords-shooting-but-theres-just-one-problem-daily-kos-put-a-bulls-eye-on-giffords-too/
Oh, and I know persons that read Mein Kampf and The Communist Manifesto are all about listening to Palin. PDS over this horrific event is about as stupid as one can get. What dooshbags.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:30:45 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacks fan
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »

guido, I did not get that from Daily KO's, I got it throuh a friends facebook posting that was a link to the Christian Right Face Book page.

Nice of you to ask where I got it, instead of jumping all over me.

Besides I'm not blaming Palin, theres enough of it to go around for everyone.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:45:20 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »

guido, I did not get that from Daily KO's, I got it throuh a friends facebook posting that was a link to the Christian Right Face Book page.

Nice of you to ask where I got it, instead of jumping all over me.

Besides I'm not blaming Palin, theres enough of it to go around for everyone.

Why else would you post what you did? And tell us who else is to blame?

Jacobson weighs in:

http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.com/2011/01/two-sicknesses-on-display-in-arizona.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org