A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:09:59 pm
Poll
Question: It's the time of year to reflect, so while we're reflecting, what was the greatest crime commited by George Lucas?  (Voting closed: January 18, 2011, 09:18:15 pm)
Re-editing so Greedo shots first instead of Han - 0 (0%)
The Prequels - 1 (14.3%)
Replacing Wookies with Ewoks in Return of the Jedi - 1 (14.3%)
Midichlorians - 1 (14.3%)
Announcing he will convert all the movies to 3D (a la Ted Turner) - 1 (14.3%)
Indiana Jones 4 - 3 (42.9%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greatest crime commited by George Lucas  (Read 7168 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 09:50:26 am »

Surely you jest. Bob Falfa, drove the wickedest '55 Chevy? Rolled it racing Milner?

I searched using his name and it didn't come up.  Maybe a glitch at imdb at the time.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 02:37:04 pm »

To leave Lucas out as a significant film maker on anyone's list would be a complete crime but you have to appreciate where those films came from in the first place.   I mainly meant to make the post a history lesson to anyone who didn't really understand the Genesis of Star Wars.  I simply can't compete with everyone else's avid appreciation for Lucas' complete Star Wars collection. (can you hear me trying to re-earn that Marshalls?)

American Graffiti isn't one of the most under-rated movies of all time, but it's overall place in what it meant to the story-telling genius of George Lucas is frequently over-looked by his core fans.  Had American Graffiti grossed a few million, it would have faded into history.  Instead, it's grossed over $200 million and inspired countless film makers in it's wake (The documentary, multiple story line approach was very ably repeated by Quinton Tarrantino in Pulp Fiction).  Aside from what American Graffiti did in validating Lucas' story-telling ability, it gave him some economic prowess to make things happen after it's great success.  Here's where it gets interesting:  Legend has it he already had the framework for Star Wars in his head in 1971, but couldn't get it financed without more financial clout and commercial demand for his skills.  They were well-proved by AG. 

One of my favorite Hollywood stories has it that an underemployed actor moonlighting as a caprpenter named Harry Ford was building a door frame in the office of a budding young writer/producer/director in 1972 who was either on the verge of greatness or being kicked out of the Hollywood inner-circle after the flop of THX 1138.  I think I first heard it on Paul Harvey's "The Rest Of The Story".

Oh, and FYI- Bob Falfa was the original Darth Vader  Wink
Forgive my spelling, it was late, and I was really tired.  I knew I had it misspelled bout couldnt get myself in line to fix it.  I ask for your pardon.

I have never managed to watch American Grafitti personally, though it is on the "really need to do" list.  I know Lucas could not have made it where he did without it to open the way.  A great book that I found on him is Droid Maker.  I don't remember the Auther, but it had a lot of what was going on in the industry, and his contributions to it. 

I'll consider maybe still buying you that Marshall's, but I'll have to see how you behave between now and when I have a few bucks.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org