A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:31:19 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New shopping center planned for Tulsa  (Read 22737 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: December 08, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »

TULSA - A Dallas developer has big plans for Tulsa and surrounding cities.
A new shopping center is in the works for land along Highway 75, located just south of the current Tulsa Hills shopping center

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/new-shopping-center-planned-for-tulsa

Garrett Moore Company, out of Dallas, is working on plans to develop a 250,000 square foot center south of 81st street and east of Highway 75.

"We are excited about the west Tulsa area, we see it at a very dynamic area." said developer Terry Moore.

Moore and his team have been studying the growth pattern in west Tulsa for a couple of years.
While the land has not been purchased and no deal made; the company showcases big plans for the area on their website .

Those plans include a supermarket, movie theatre, fitness center and outdoor amphitheater.

"Three or 4 restaurants will surround the amphitheatre with patios." explained Moore.
"It will be an amazing place."

Moore said fast food and fine dining will be used in the development.

The Garrett Moore Company also has it's sights set on development in Stroud, Ok.

A tornado flattened the Tanger Outlet Mall back in 1999, plans are now surfacing to rebuild the mall.
The city manager of stroud, Tim Schook, said the town is excited about the idea but planning is in the very early stages.

"We've only had one meeting together and everyone is still studying the plans." explained Schook.

The Walk in Tulsa Hills is not connected to the current Tulsa Hills shopping center.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:10:56 pm »

http://garrettmoorecompany.com/OklahomaProjects.html
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:06 pm »

I think it's funny that they want to call it "The Walk."

I always enjoy driving 10 miles out of my way to walk through a parking lot...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:22:08 pm »

It's "the walk" from their cars to the electric front doors.  "This asphalt is so hot out here with no trees anywhere in view.  Wish they had a shuttle service from my car...or a Rascal."
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »

I agree, 10 miles is too far.  It will only be about 2 miles from work for me to walk through the parking lot.  Besides, you have plenty of parking lots downtown to walk through.  I would have to drive at least 10 miles to walk through them.

Maybe we could start a "Parking Lot Walking Club".  It's so much fun. (I was going to say Parking Lot Walkers but decided some around here would have a field day with that name.)

Grin

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »

It's "the walk" from their cars to the electric front doors.  "This asphalt is so hot out here with no trees anywhere in view.  Wish they had a shuttle service from my car...or a Rascal."

Building in that area exempts them from a lot of building and design codes, doesnt it?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:43:44 pm »

Tulsa World story: http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20101208_32_E1_WestTu741976

The key anchors of the center would be a 12-screen Carmike theater, as well as a large, upscale organic grocery. Although Moore said he's not yet ready to identify the grocer, he said it would be from a growing, regional chain that doesn't yet have locations in Tulsa but intends to open other stores in the area.

My best guess for the grocer: Sunflower Farmers Market http://www.sfmarkets.com/locations
Or else Trader Joes.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:48:35 pm »

Tulsa World story: http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20101208_32_E1_WestTu741976

My best guess for the grocer: Sunflower Farmers Market http://www.sfmarkets.com/locations
Or else Trader Joes.

I thought I saw in a previous thread that Trader Joes had issues with OK rules and regulations. 

dsjeffries
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »

As far as I know, a subdivision is planned for that exact plot of land, featuring patio homes for older Tulsans.

Or is that next door?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 04:16:27 pm »

As far as I know, a subdivision is planned for that exact plot of land, featuring patio homes for older Tulsans.

Or is that next door?

That's already under construction. I think it's behind where this is going.
inteller
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »

Or else Trader Joes.

no its going to be an Earth Fare...it should be an awesome place for old people living in patio homes on a fixed income to go buy overpriced food.

do you want Tulsa to become Plano?  That's what happening with these Dallas developers invading with their Dallas sprawl sized ideas.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:25:45 pm by inteller » Logged
dsjeffries
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 04:46:59 pm »

no its going to be an Earth Fare...it should be an awesome place for old people living in patio homes on a fixed income to go buy overpriced food.

do you want Tulsa to become Plano?  That's what happening with these Dallas developers invading with their Dallas sprawl sized ideas.

These older people certainly aren't on any kind of fixed income--I know some of the people buying lots there, and they don't need to clip coupons. Most are just downsizing because 3,000 sf is a lot of house for two people to take care of (or use).
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 05:05:17 pm »

do you want Tulsa to become Plano?  That's what happening with these Dallas developers invading with their Dallas sprawl sized ideas.

Never been to Earth Fare.  Looks like they're primarily in the southeast  Sunflower is a southwest and Texas company; I figure they're a better bet given the location of the developers.

As for your second question, are you asking me this?  I really don't know what the alternative is.  I mean, this is the face of American development in 2010.  This is not 1995 big box.  It's a kinder, gentler supercenter, complete with clock tower, amphitheater, wind turbines, and golf cart-friendly parking lot.

* WALK_site_plan_colored_10_03_10.jpg (139.1 KB - downloaded 965 times.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:07:10 pm by Floyd » Logged
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 06:10:31 pm »

I too chuckled at the name. It's as if suburban developers have a dart board of nouns to fill in the blanks. Everything is "The ____ at ___" with nouns that don't actually apply to the development in the slightest.

I tried to walk from the tire place at Tulsa Hills during a long wait to eat lunch and do a bit of shopping. It was not at all pleasant. Intermittent sidewalks. Giant parking lots. No trees. People gawking at you like you're an elephant at a drive-thru animal park.

inteller
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 06:24:04 pm »

People gawking at you like you're an elephant at a drive-thru animal park.

THIS.  Of course, the okie cows staring at you probably do see walking as an alien activity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org