A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:56 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikileaks = terrorist organization?  (Read 80398 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:07 am »

I doubt all the principals are known to Assange. The things I read about them in the early days indicated that it's pretty decentralized. There's no technical need whatsoever for anyone to be known to anyone else in the organization. That said, those who buy hosting and other services for the organization have easily discoverable identities. Anybody working behind the scenes may be impossible to track, however. That's probably best for them, given that Assange is the only one high profile enough to cause a furor if he ends up dead.

Between encryption, Tor, and Freenet, it's not difficult to be anonymous on the Internet if you have the necessary discipline.

I was going to say it can't be that hard for spooks to track geeks, but then I remembered the geeks wrote all the software and designed the systems for the spooks in the first place.  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 12:38:45 pm »

Unless all the principals are rooted out and exterminated.

I think that approach might have been true if the format were a newspaper, a magazine, a book, etc. But as nathan mentioned, the web's a fundamentally different sort of petri dish.  There's nothing to stop a kid in Outer Mongolia from hacking into a server farm, setting aside some storage and putting up a storefront to hold the secrets.

Anyone remember Sneakers?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »

I think that approach might have been true if the format were a newspaper, a magazine, a book, etc. But as nathan mentioned, the web's a fundamentally different sort of petri dish.  There's nothing to stop a kid in Outer Mongolia from hacking into a server farm, setting aside some storage and putting up a storefront to hold the secrets.

Love that movie..have it on DVD but need to see if it's out on Blu-Ray yet.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:34 pm »

If they cannot render him ineffective, he will probably just be disposed of.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 01:27:43 pm »

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hometown
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:03 pm »

I've been around for a while and don't have a whole lot of illusions left but when I learned from Wikileaks that Iraqi insurgents had attempted to surrender but were not allowed to surrender while being fired upon by our side I have to wonder if we still get to wear the white hat.   
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:08 pm »

I've been around for a while and don't have a whole lot of illusions left but when I learned from Wikileaks that Iraqi insurgents had attempted to surrender but were not allowed to surrender while being fired upon by our side I have to wonder if we still get to wear the white hat.   

I can see how our troops would not believe the "surrender" as anything more than an attempt to get closer with a suicide bomb.  It's tough to fight a war when only one side tries to play by the rules.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:10 pm »

I remember Keds and PF Flyers. Run faster and jump higher in PF Flyers. (Didn't help me any.)  I remember sneakers as being canvass rather than leather though. I'm pretty sure there was another major brand I am forgetting.

Edit: spelling

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 10:40:08 pm »

I remember Keds and PF Flyers. Run faster and jump higher in PF Flyers. (Didn't help me any.)  I remember sneakers as being canvass rather than leather though. I'm pretty sure there was another major brand I am forgetting.

Edit: spelling

Those look to be about '88 vintage 3/4 high tops.  I wore them..not because they were Reebok necessarily, but I put a hurtin' on Nike (blow out the seams in about 6 months).  I had a pair of these last me two years.  And the 'cool kids' wore 'em with the laces loosened.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 07:53:11 am »

Those look to be about '88 vintage 3/4 high tops.  I wore them..not because they were Reebok necessarily, but I put a hurtin' on Nike (blow out the seams in about 6 months).  I had a pair of these last me two years.  And the 'cool kids' wore 'em with the laces loosened.

I was thinking more along the lines of late 60s and early 70s. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 08:33:56 am »

I was thinking more along the lines of late 60s and early 70s. 

I remember Keds as a kid in the 70s.  PF Flyers?  Not so much.

Hometown
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 11:11:31 am »

As difficult as this situation is I have to say that as soon as I am told that I am not supposed to know about something I get a strong feeling that that something is exactly what I should know about.  There is just something basicly American about expecting to know the truth.  The curtailment on press coverage that began with Desert Storm is a mistake.  No one ever said that Freedom would be easy.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 11:24:48 am »

As difficult as this situation is I have to say that as soon as I am told that I am not supposed to know about something I get a strong feeling that that something is exactly what I should know about.  There is just something basicly American about expecting to know the truth.  The curtailment on press coverage that began with Desert Storm is a mistake.  No one ever said that Freedom would be easy.

Curtailment? 

If anything it was more pervasive and 24/7 with reporters on the front lines.  It seemed like we had too much coverage of that war and the early days of Iraq II and Afghanistan.  I can still vaguely remember coverage of Viet Nam on the evening news, but that was it.  You maybe got a two minute snippet on the current major battle or efforts at peace talks.  You couldn't sit and watch shellings on live TV.  I also think we've been given as much info as needed to know.  The problem with too much dissemination of information, like CIA torture, is a lot of people react without understanding the true nature of warfare, nor do they appreciate that our enemies aren't exactly humanitarians.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 11:35:53 am »

As difficult as this situation is I have to say that as soon as I am told that I am not supposed to know about something I get a strong feeling that that something is exactly what I should know about.  There is just something basicly American about expecting to know the truth.  The curtailment on press coverage that began with Desert Storm is a mistake.  No one ever said that Freedom would be easy.

The reports filed by political and military analysts (who have actually read the memos) say it's less like Pentagon Papers expose than it is being outed on TMZ.

If calling someone fat or paranoid is treason or terrorism, then they are more suited for reality TV than public office.

PETER BERGEN, CNN NATIONAL SECURITY ANALYST: I think there's been a lot
of hype about all of this. If you think about 92,000 so-called secret documents in which there's
almost no new information, I think that, you know, do the thought experiment, Larry, where these
are all unclassified documents. It's merely because the word "secret" has been put around them
that there's all this excitement.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:38:35 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »

The news is turning disturbing on this subject, what with Amazon giving them the boot under pressure from Joe Lieberman and now Paypal freezing their account.

Amazon gave the excuse that Wikileaks doesn't have rights to the material they were hosting. That argument doesn't fly, given that as a product of the federal government, the material by definition can't be covered under copyright. They went on to claim that they were also violating the provision that states that the content hosted may not "injure" others and explained that it wasn't credible that WikiLeaks could have vetted 250,000 documents. WikiLeaks has not released 250,000 documents. Only a few hundred have been released up to this point.

Remind me not to use AWS for anything critical.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org