A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:10:13 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikileaks = terrorist organization?  (Read 80250 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 08:15:20 am »

Folks might be interested to know that, while we were (probably) sleeping, Assange turned himself in in the UK, after a couple of hours of speculation that the police there had called him and let him know they were coming for him. It looks like he's going to make bail, but that remains to be seen. He's having a hearing as I type.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 09:03:05 am »

Folks might be interested to know that, while we were (probably) sleeping, Assange turned himself in in the UK, after a couple of hours of speculation that the police there had called him and let him know they were coming for him. It looks like he's going to make bail, but that remains to be seen. He's having a hearing as I type.

Apparently he's being charged with one case of Wiki-leakage and another of failure to wrap his Wicki. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336291/Wikileaks-Julian-Assanges-2-night-stands-spark-worldwide-hunt.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 09:22:56 am »

Wow, no bail, despite an offer for 100,000 pounds from assange himself and 20,000 pounds each as surety from three others.

What confuses me is if he's charged with "having sex with woman without condom whilst she was asleep according to court evidence" and "holding a womans arms and forcing sex upon her without a condom," why were the charges dropped and then reinstated? That's what's so weird. That's not borderline anything. Forcing sex upon someone is straight up rape.

The more severe accusation than I expected actually makes me more inclined to think there's something off about the whole thing.

Edited to add: I also failed to mention that Visa and MasterCard have now decided they won't process payments for Wikileaks anymore. (MC a few hours ago, Visa just now) One person observed that we're better at cutting off funding for Wikileaks than we are at cutting off funding for actual terrorists.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:25:32 am by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:09 am »

Wow, no bail, despite an offer for 100,000 pounds from assange himself and 20,000 pounds each as surety from three others.

What confuses me is if he's charged with "having sex with woman without condom whilst she was asleep according to court evidence" and "holding a womans arms and forcing sex upon her without a condom," why were the charges dropped and then reinstated? That's what's so weird. That's not borderline anything. Forcing sex upon someone is straight up rape.

The more severe accusation than I expected actually makes me more inclined to think there's something off about the whole thing.

Edited to add: I also failed to mention that Visa and MasterCard have now decided they won't process payments for Wikileaks anymore. (MC a few hours ago, Visa just now) One person observed that we're better at cutting off funding for Wikileaks than we are at cutting off funding for actual terrorists.

It seems that the private sector has taken upon itself the task of fighting terrorism like this.

This guy made an outright terrorist threat against the U.S. and pushing Interpol for a honeypot sex crime is all we can get him on?  The administration it self has called him a "threat to national security."  Why are we not demanding extradition?  Is threatening the national security of the United States no longer a crime in our eyes?

How flaccid we are.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 09:49:57 am »

What was this terrorist threat he made? I believe the only threat he made was that more documents would be released were he killed. If we expand the definition of "terrorist" to include nonviolent actions, I dare say we're rendering the term completely meaningless.

Also, Feinstein has just recently called for his prosecution under the Espionage Act.

I would presume that once Assange is extradited to Sweden, the US will attempt to get its hands on him.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2010, 09:55:46 am »

It's interesting that Assange/Wikileaks has gone with the "Limewire" strategy to protect itself:  essentially share its core document collections through a peer-to-peer network of likeminded hackers.  You can take Wikileaks down now and the secrets live on.  At this point, I think certain power players in the world community are gearing up to make an example of Assange/Wikileaks; you can't put the genie back in the bottle but you can scare the smile out of future genie bottle-breakers.

Another thing:  if Wikileaks has dirt on Bank of America, the gov of Russia, and/or other international players, it's become a much bigger thing that just Bradley Manning's personal dropbox account.  That would mean that it's a legit home for whistleblowers/leakers from around the world and in multiple disciplines.  That tells me that the Wikileaks function (an online repository for institutional secrets) still has a reason to exist.  There's essentially a demand for its service.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 10:49:05 am »

CIA dirty tricks, from last August's WikiLeaks dump:

Wikileaks founder says Australian intelligence warned him on August 11 to expect personal attacks.

Julian Assange, founder of the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks, has said the now-dropped charge of rape levelled against him in Sweden was "a smear campaign".

Assange said that the accusations were completely untrue and expected all charges to be dropped on Monday, adding that his lawyers were in the process of arranging a meeting with the prosecutors.

He also said that this was just one of many attempts to discredit him.

"This is the first sexual related we've had, but we have seen 14 fabricated documents, for example, that have appeared in various places about this organisation which have been shown to be clear fakes," he said.

"So there are significant forces pushing to perceive things in a particular way".

Swedish authorities had initially issued a warrant for Assange's arrest on Friday night, but dropped the warrant and the rape charge the next day.

Eva Finne, the country's chief prosecutor, reviewed the evidence and withdrew the warrant for his arrest,deciding there was "no longer reason to believe" Assange had committed rape, Karin Rosander, a spokeswoman for Finne, said.

Assange's organisation caused controversy in July when it released 75,000 classified US military reports containing information about the Nato war effort in Afghanistan.

The US government condemned the release of the documents, saying the website had "blood on its hands" for naming people who had helped its military against groups such as the Taliban and al-Qaeda, and ordered Wikileaks to return the files.

"The Pentagon so far says it not aware of any incident of people coming to harm by what we have released. At the time of the release we took aside 15,000 documents that we believed needed extra careful review and those are the documents we are reviewing and will be released."

Two women in their twenties made the allegations against Assange, according to Al Jazeera's Paul Brennan, reporting from London.

One woman claimed Assange raped her last weekend in Stockholm, while another alleged he molested her on Tuesday in a separate town in Sweden, Brennan said.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2010, 12:54:13 pm »

Apparently, rape in Sweden is defined as consensual sex with "groupies" that have actively worked to get connected to Assange, then bragged about how wonderful it was on their tweets and blogs after the fact, and how great a guy he was.  One was apparently connected to the Swedish foreign service somehow - working for an ambassador??  or something.

Very strange definition of rape.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what kind of "terrorist threat" he has made to the US.  So far, nothing has come out that is more than embarrassing "snarky" comments made by our diplomats. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2010, 01:46:44 pm »

Guess we will just have to wait and see what kind of "terrorist threat" he has made to the US.  So far, nothing has come out that is more than embarrassing "snarky" comments made by our diplomats. 

The State Department got a black eye.
That seems to be all that matters.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 08:27:45 pm »

WikiLeaks is bad news if your company is named DynCorp (I don't know how I didn't see this until now!)

At least that explains why Karzai decided there should be no more security contractors in Afghanistan.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »

Wikileaks is what happens when the entire US government is forced to go through a full-body scanner.

http://gizmodo.com/5709194/the-reaction-of-governments-to-wikileaks-should-scare-the-hell-out-of-you

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 11:00:04 am »

I'll just leave this here:

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 01:14:43 pm »

I'll just leave this here:

That is freeking hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2010, 01:10:37 pm »

This punk/hypocrite Assange wanted to keep his bail address secret. Judge says "no".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338832/WikiLeaks-Julian-Assange-asked-judge-bail-address-secret.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2010, 02:00:53 pm »

I love this:

"Assange's lawyers argued that the location - a 10-bedroom stately home - should not be disclosed on grounds of privacy during yesterday's hearing at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court.

But the move was dismissed by District Judge Howard Riddle, who ruled not to reveal the address would conflict with Assange's commitment to open justice."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338832/WikiLeaks-Julian-Assange-asked-judge-bail-address-secret.html#ixzz18DEFYTBE

I hope Assange is getting donkey punched on a regular basis while in custody.  (Hey it's your fault I even know what that is Guido)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org