A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:15:41 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historic Home Torn Down  (Read 12808 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: November 23, 2010, 12:07:07 pm »

Does anyone know why this historic home in Mapleridge was torn down?  I am painting some murals in a home in the neighborhood and drove around a bit and found some machinery ripping out the last bits of the foundations.  Because I know the neighborhood, I immediately knew which old familiar home it was. Did it catch on fire or something and have to be destroyed?  Or was it another tragic teardown?

This home was called "Tulsa's Castle" in the 100 Historic Tulsa Homes book.  Built in 1929 for one of Tulsas Oil Baron families.  I never went inside this one, but from the descriptions it sounded quite beautiful with its ornate decorative plaster ceilings, mahogany walls, iron and bronze chandeliers, glass atrium, etc.  

I suppose we will likely get a badly proportioned, bland, Tuscan style home with "stucco" over styrofoam, interiors with "high ceilings" of all kinds of hideously odd, low class, shapes for they make them high "I guess thats all that matters lol" without regard to any symmetry or proportions, and a nice garage out front, in its place.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:11:56 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »

What a cool looking old house.  What was the address?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:13:45 pm »

It WAS on the corner of Terwilleger and South St. Louis Ave.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:26 pm »

Oh my. I've been in that house. A friend lived there years ago. She called it her castle...she lives in NY state now, but I'm sure she'd be sad to learn it has been torn down.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 01:02:29 pm »

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Terwilleger+and+South+St.+Louis+Ave+tulsa&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=S+St+Louis+Ave+%26+S+Terwilleger+Blvd,+Tulsa,+Oklahoma+74114&ll=36.126246,-95.969203&spn=0.004619,0.009624&z=17&layer=c&cbll=36.126291,-95.969243&panoid=vQ8YUaI1fbJ6OdUoFUkmKw&cbp=12,57.98,,0,0.41

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »

It's Tulsa "progress".

Another terrible loss - not quite as bad as the castle, but still bad;
There was a magnificent old place just north of 15th street (14th) on west side of Utica that was torn down fairly recently.  Google maps shows the blank space where it used to be.  Google maps STREET view still shows the old house.  At one time, I was told that a doctor had built it back in early 1900's.  ??  Anyone know for sure?

American Theater Company was headquartered there for a while in the '70s.

Wonderful place.  At one time, beautiful wood trim inside - wonderful hardwood floors.  But I'm sure a condo or another small strip center will be much better for the neighborhood and revenue to the city 'planners'.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 01:09:09 pm »

Hey Artist - Technically, I don't think that would be considered Maple Ridge. That area is Terwilleger Heights. I could be wrong, but I don't think Maple Ridge  goes east of Peoria, does it?

In any case, it's a real shame that home is gone.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:12:44 pm »

Whoever lived in that house would do it up very big for Halloween like a scary castle.

So some dude is going to build a Tuscan mcmansion there now?

* Edit * LOL at the forum changing my term for a feminine hygiene product into "dude" Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:15:02 pm by YoungTulsan » Logged

waterboy
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »

I don't remember the house but Angie is correct iirc. That area is not considered Maple Ridge and does not enjoy its protections. I can't imagine, short of irradiation, why anyone would take down such a fine looking home, but it was their home to do with as they please.
OSU
Activist

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 02:13:26 pm »

Wow...that makes me sick to my stomach. Heck it made me sad when they planted those stupid magnolia trees in front of the house several years ago.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:15:57 pm by OSU » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 02:53:46 pm »

Development myopia.  What a shame.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »

Are we getting a new QuikTrip?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
OSU
Activist

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:50 pm »

Just drove by and the house is still there...

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 04:41:45 pm »

Terwilleger is on my way home from work so I'll check it out.  

There was another house recently torn down in Maple Ridge just south of 21st & Peoria.  The house was in bad shape and the property faces Peoria and Woodward Park.  It will be interesting to see what ends up getting built there.  Since it's in Maple Ridge are there any new development requirements?  

There are several new houses going up on the western side of Terwilleger Heights right now, all on 29th between Peoria and Rockford.  I like the one on Peoria, looks very Hugh Newell Jacobson.  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:48:19 pm by SXSW » Logged

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:01:33 pm »

Just drove by and the house is still there...

Hmmmm, egg on my face then lol. I thought I was certain that the house that was at the spot I drove by was that one. I will go by again tomorrow and get the street.  I know A house was torn down though lol. It was on a sharp corner lot like the castle one above, and had a similar lighter colored stone house next door as well.  Hopefully I was wrong. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:05:12 pm by TheArtist » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org