A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:45 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Village on Main starts  (Read 51786 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »

One of at least 2. Way over rated. Put it at 31st and Mingo and it fails.

At least 3.  Went to the one in BA twice, hoping the first time was an anomaly.  It wasn't.  I won't go back.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »

One of at least 2. Way over rated. Put it at 31st and Mingo and it fails.

Because it's Tex-Mex or Okie-Mex rather than Mexican or is it just not that good?

I had lunch there about 4 years ago for an office function.  I don't remember being impressed either favorably or unfavorably.   I don't go out to eat much so the fact that I haven't been back is not particularly relevant.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 10:25:28 pm »

I may be the only person in town that thought Los Cabos food just isn't that good. 

I'm with you.  Been to both and there are way too many places in Tulsa to waste my time again.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 10:59:06 pm »

I went to the Riverwalk Los Cabos a couple of times after it opened and just never understood why people where there.  But I don't go to Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory and Texas Roadhouse for the same reason.   But apparently some folks just love the atmosphere,  that must be it because the food is just mediocre. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 01:18:03 pm »

"Okie-Mex" might be a good term for it.  It's the same taste as Chimi's and Mexicali's downtown.  These places all survive and do well, so it must be something that Okie's really like, but its just not for me.  I was raised in South Texas with authentic Mexican food, and maybe I'm a snob about it.  I would much rather eat authentic Mexican from one of the taco trucks or dives in the Kendall Whittier neighborhood than any of these "Okie-Mex" restaurants. 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:56 pm »

"Okie-Mex" might be a good term for it.  It's the same taste as Chimi's and Mexicali's downtown.  These places all survive and do well, so it must be something that Okie's really like, but its just not for me.  I was raised in South Texas with authentic Mexican food, and maybe I'm a snob about it.  I would much rather eat authentic Mexican from one of the taco trucks or dives in the Kendall Whittier neighborhood than any of these "Okie-Mex" restaurants. 

According to some friends in Uvalde, TX a lot of "authentic" Mexican food is cooked with lard which us gringos can't handle too well.  Even the "authentic" Mexican food for gringos around Uvalde uses vegetable oil I guess. It is different than Tulsa-Mex.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 02:02:42 pm »

Haven't been in ages but I always liked Cancun on Lewis.  Biggest burrito I ever had was there.  It was as long as my wrist to my elbow and nearly as big around as that section of my arm.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

waterboy
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 02:32:31 pm »

Because it's Tex-Mex or Okie-Mex rather than Mexican or is it just not that good?

The latter. I think folks around Jenks must like the ambiance, want to support it or enjoy their margaritas. Maybe there aren't any other Mexican restaurants near by.

My background includes having been married to a hispanic family (some family from Mexico, some from Spain). Their food was authentic but only from the areas they came from in central Mexico. Chiliso, Mole, spanish rice. I imagine if you were from the gulf or pacific areas of Mexico the food would be substantially different than the stuff around the New Mexico border.

I went twice to Cabos. The shrimp coctail was average to poor, the live music was way too loud, the margaritas average and the enchiladas similar to Chimi's. It was crowded, service was okay. Just nothing special other than the patio experience.

Oh, yeah, authentic in my case did not include seafood and very little beef (cows are rare I'm told in the central parts of Mexico. Mostly yard bird, rice, peanut butter(moles) and jalapenos.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:35:44 pm by waterboy » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 02:42:18 pm »

The flavor is neutral enough at Los Cabos to appeal to a wide variety of palates.  It's just like any of the bigger, trendier restaurants like Abuelos, OTB, El Chico, Chilis, Fridays, etc.

I don't eat out near as much as I used to as I feel like FMC and I serve up some damn good grub when it comes to SW, Mexican, BBQ, steak, etc.  Why pay someone else to cook for me who doesn't do it near as well. (Yeah I know food snob). Plus I know exactly everything which has gone into that meal.  I've become a processed food and food additive phobe, so I rely on whole ingredients every bit as much as possible. 

When I do go out, I like my Mexican joints like my BBQ joints: the skankier the building looks and the seedier the neighborhood, the better the food. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 03:28:44 pm »

The flavor is neutral enough at Los Cabos to appeal to a wide variety of palates.  It's just like any of the bigger, trendier restaurants like Abuelos, OTB, El Chico, Chilis, Fridays, etc.

I don't eat out near as much as I used to as I feel like FMC and I serve up some damn good grub when it comes to SW, Mexican, BBQ, steak, etc.  Why pay someone else to cook for me who doesn't do it near as well. (Yeah I know food snob). Plus I know exactly everything which has gone into that meal.  I've become a processed food and food additive phobe, so I rely on whole ingredients every bit as much as possible. 

When I do go out, I like my Mexican joints like my BBQ joints: the skankier the building looks and the seedier the neighborhood, the better the food. 

Cancun surely fits that bill...LOL.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 04:02:24 pm »

Cancun surely fits that bill...LOL.

Ha! At first, I thought you said "Conan" surely fits that bill.  I must have re-read my post 10 times trying to figure out what was so funny.  I used to go to Cancun when they first opened.  Stupid cheap prices on great seafood offerings.  It's not as cheap as it used to be, but it's quite authentic.  I believe you can also order goat meat there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 04:14:04 pm »

Then you would probably like this place.....

http://www.rockypointreview.com/ad10268.html

http://www.jjscantina.com/

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »

Ha! At first, I thought you said "Conan" surely fits that bill.  I must have re-read my post 10 times trying to figure out what was so funny.  I used to go to Cancun when they first opened.  Stupid cheap prices on great seafood offerings.  It's not as cheap as it used to be, but it's quite authentic.  I believe you can also order goat meat there.

Last I was there (which was admittedly some time ago) they were serving goat meat.  I remember seeing that and saying 'wow, that's authentic'.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 04:38:01 pm »

Just make sure you check the health departments ratings on those skanky places before you go.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 04:38:22 pm »

That looks a bit sanitary for me, how about this:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org