A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:05:19 pm
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Police Chief Talks About Cuts  (Read 72243 times)
rwarn17588
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2010, 11:33:42 pm »

WOW!

The effect on my pension alone is well over $100,000. 

Explain.
Rico
« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2010, 12:31:39 pm »

I completely agree. The firefighters now put more of their own money toward retirement for an equal amount of vacation pay. They also agreed to pay more for their cost of health insurance in exchange for less salary cuts.

It seems quite a wash.

I believe what really happened is that the police union finally realized they were losing the public relations battle and the firefighters were now seen as the good guys. It was probably compounded by the failure of all these "other cities who were recruiting Tulsa policemen" to actually offer any of them jobs.

The public turns on you and then plan B doesn't happen and suddenly the cops want to meet with the Mayor again. If I were Bartlett, I would make them kneal down and kiss my shoes at the start of the meeting.

This just in.........

Prominent figure recycleMichaelPatton let's the Police and Mayor know exactly how he would deal with the budgetary crisis that predominates the world of Tulsa Politics.
In his own words he thinks the following would be acceptable behavior if he were having to deal with the Police Department.

"I would make them kneal down and kiss my shoes at the start of the meeting."

(referencing what he refers to as the Tulsa Police Departments' plan b, recycleMichael seems to be saying the police are desperate and out of options)

I have always felt the number of police in a city and how much they are paid is a direct reflection of the problems (crime, hatred, bigotry,addiction, etc.) that have evolved in the city and the lengths to which the citizenry and government are willing to go  in correcting said problems and criminal activity.

What I am learning is... that behaving in a repulsive authoritative manor, speaking in ultimatums, and making threats,  is just not limited to criminals
and criminal behavior.

To some, this approach will lead to a respected strategy for the resolution of problems.

rico

shadows
City Father

« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »

Wilbur: as RM indicates your leadership already lost your battle when they indicated there would be no further negotiations.   Now the crying towel is out with “there was a difference in the others offer so lets talk“. 

The reduction of your pension of over a $100,000 with such a small reduction in pay for 240 months of service, I am sure will cause some eye brows to be raised among the public.  One would believe when all the facts are placed on the table the war could be lost. 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »

That is yet another reason why I am not the Mayor.

I think the police union has been wrong in these negotiations. I have been amazed at their attacks (especially in the TulsaWorld comments sections of stories).

I respect your right to disagree with my views, but stop calling me a prominent figure to somehow imply that I can't express my views or need to hide behind a fake name like you do.

Besides, I am more of a full figure than a prominent figure.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TeeDub
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »

I still say we can do without all the extra officers...

Anyone seen a spike in crime in the last week?   
I didn't think so.

Obviously they were unnecessary bloat.   

Rico
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2010, 06:57:01 pm »

"Besides, I am more of a full figure than a prominent figure."

Cute.... Really quite a smiling remark. Some of the others are not quite appropriate for the head of a "Public Trust".. and "Board Member" of so many others.

But I am sure you will have a justification for your comments. Like....
"Teach Your Children Well".
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2010, 12:12:16 am »

I still say we can do without all the extra officers...

Anyone seen a spike in crime in the last week?   
I didn't think so.

Obviously they were unnecessary bloat.

Cant say one way or another just yet, but it seems at least some police who were transferred out of specialty units into patrol cars havent quite accepted they are patrolmen now.

There was this story:
'He’s been a Tulsa police officer for 15 years but for the last seven years Officer Phil Forbrich was in the TPD Fugitive and Warrants team and the Northeastern Oklahoma Violent Crimes Task Force.
Forbrich says he knows a bad guy when he sees one and knows a home that may be filled with a lot of drug activity.
"I'll definitely need to give them a courtesy roll by two or three times a day," says Forbrich. '

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/From-Behind-The-Desk-To-Behind-The-Wheel/n2cQvuQgVU-pe_fC7K5gNg.cspx

About the time that aired, another officer who had been a part of the Special Investigations Division, just happened to run into one of his clientèle on the street.  If you believe the police report, a man with 350 pounds of marijuana in open duffel bags in plain sight ran a stop sign in front of a TPD car.  He allegedly fled, so the SID / patrolman went to a suspects home, allegedly found some scales and arrested him.

Now, I know sometimes people get into habits, but when you are given a new job you generally let someone else do the old one.
If that's more than just coincidence, then what might be consequences of having patrolmen who may not have their heart in patrolling?

Today it was announced that Tulsa police will no longer respond to non-injury traffic accidents, or burglaries from vehicles.

I think we just moved one step closer to the Sheriff's office being called in.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Wilbur
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2010, 05:55:04 am »

Nice:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20100204_11_A3_MayorD36050

Won't move money for police, but will move ALL the money for fire.

rwarn17588
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2010, 06:44:12 am »

Nice:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20100204_11_A3_MayorD36050

Won't move money for police, but will move ALL the money for fire.

I'll ask again, in case you missed it:

Please explain how the pension changes will cost you $100,000.
MDepr2007
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2010, 05:51:57 pm »

Today it was announced that Tulsa police will no longer respond to non-injury traffic accidents, or burglaries from vehicles.

I think we just moved one step closer to the Sheriff's office being called in.

And I just heard that they won't respond if the other driver doesn't have insurance. Not having insurance is a crime as is running a stop light or a red light. If those actions cause an accident a crime was committed and it should be against State laws (imo) for TPD not to respond. If they won't show for that then by gosh I should be able to run stop signs without the worry of getting a ticket too I suppose. Huh
MDepr2007
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2010, 05:56:40 pm »

I'll ask again, in case you missed it:

Please explain how the pension changes will cost you $100,000.

He has to wait for the Union to explain it as officers just repeat what they hear from the Union  Grin I think someone is overpaid if it's going to cost that much...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2010, 03:13:55 pm »

On last night's news, there were at least two instances where the TPD helicopter made promotional appearances.
One where it landed for the Make A Wish Foundation and another appearance for an officer with cancer, and while these might be worthy causes in their own right, are these non-Law Enforcement uses running up the Jet-A fuel bill to the point where we have to give up other things, like snow removal this winter?

Are we really "back-on-track" enough to be spending money like this?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2010, 03:47:28 pm »

On last night's news, there were at least two instances where the TPD helicopter made promotional appearances.
One where it landed for the Make A Wish Foundation and another appearance for an officer with cancer, and while these might be worthy causes in their own right, are these non-Law Enforcement uses running up the Jet-A fuel bill to the point where we have to give up other things, like snow removal this winter?

Are we really "back-on-track" enough to be spending money like this?

I'm aware of an incident a few years back involving a former helicopter officer following a guy who had started dating the officer's ex girlfriend- with the helicopter.  Apparently they followed the guy back to his house so the officer could figure out where he lived.  The ex-girlfriend was a good friend of mine and I have no reason to suspect she would have exaggerated this. 

Apparently he called her later and apologized for buzzing her house with the chopper and following the new beau home with a spot light on him.  Needless to say the intimidation worked, the new guy decided he didn't want to go out with her after all.  She also related a couple of stories about him flying over his own house to make sure his kids were home on a fairly regular basis.  That might have explained some extra chopper activity around my neighborhood at one point as I lived about six blocks from the officer as it turned out Roll Eyes

I think if you give a city employee a vehicle it's eventually going to be abused or used for personal errands.  It's one thing in a cruiser but in a $500 to $750 an hour Jet Ranger that really pisses me off.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2010, 05:12:18 pm »

It's one thing in a cruiser but in a $500 to $750 an hour Jet Ranger that really pisses me off.

The Tulsa Police chopper cost $1,250 an hour to operate.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org