A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:03:03 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass tubes? 'Splain this to me, Lucy!  (Read 6288 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: November 16, 2010, 06:55:01 pm »

"New Oklahoma Law, November 1st 2010. GLASS TUBES. Title 63 Section 2 Paragraph 101.2 makes it a crime for retailers to offer for sale to any patron a ‘glass tube’ (defined below) punishable by a misdemeanor – up to 1 year and up to $1000. Glass Tube, seen on counter tops of most convenience stores until November 1st, are defined as hollow glass cylinders, open or closed at either end, not less than 2 inches or more than 7 inches in length and no more than ¾ of an inch in diameter, whether sold individually or in connection with any other object. This law is in an effort to curb methamphetamine and other illegal narcotic use."

That's taken from the Owasso PD Facebook page.  As near as I can figure, these are common test tubes.  Now, I freely admit that I'm unaware of how they're used for drugs, but at the same time, couldn't I go to a chemical supply house and buy a bunch of them?  For that matter, I found them in seconds on e-bay.  So how is this law going to be effective at curbing drug use? 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:01:06 pm »

"New Oklahoma Law, November 1st 2010. GLASS TUBES. Title 63 Section 2 Paragraph 101.2 makes it a crime for retailers to offer for sale to any patron a ‘glass tube’ (defined below) punishable by a misdemeanor – up to 1 year and up to $1000. Glass Tube, seen on counter tops of most convenience stores until November 1st, are defined as hollow glass cylinders, open or closed at either end, not less than 2 inches or more than 7 inches in length and no more than ¾ of an inch in diameter, whether sold individually or in connection with any other object. This law is in an effort to curb methamphetamine and other illegal narcotic use."

That's taken from the Owasso PD Facebook page.  As near as I can figure, these are common test tubes.  Now, I freely admit that I'm unaware of how they're used for drugs, but at the same time, couldn't I go to a chemical supply house and buy a bunch of them?  For that matter, I found them in seconds on e-bay.  So how is this law going to be effective at curbing drug use? 
shhhh the illusion of safety is important
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:08:49 pm »

Wow, so Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, etc can't sell childrens chemistry sets anymore?  What about those "test tube" spice racks?  I have one of those lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:05:40 am »

Wow, so Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, etc can't sell childrens chemistry sets anymore?  What about those "test tube" spice racks?  I have one of those lol.

Hey, we can't allow test tubes, test tubes might just get kids interested in that science stuff and distract them from learnin' more 'bout Jebus and get them thinkin wrong thoughts.
TeeDub
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:22 am »

It's no worse than banning Four Loko.

Will they come after my Crown and Coke next?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704312504575618680068155888.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

The FDA plans to rule that caffeine is an unsafe food additive for alcoholic beverages, Mr. Schumer, who has been a staunch critic of the drinks, said in a statement.
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:24:32 am »

Could this be one of the reasons for OZ closing?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:56:03 am »

Could this be one of the reasons for OZ closing?

I think no-one shopping there had more to do with it.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:47 am »

The FDA plans to rule that caffeine is an unsafe food additive for alcoholic beverages, Mr. Schumer, who has been a staunch critic of the drinks, said in a statement.
While I think they might be taking it a bit too far, I have seen studies that show that the caffeine/alcohol combo is somewhat dangerous. You're more likely to get dehydrated and the caffeine makes it more difficult to self-judge impairment, which causes several obvious issues. I don't really have a problem pouring a splash of Red Bull in my Jaeger whenever I'm feeling like drinking swill, so I find it difficult to get too worked up about it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 11:08:10 am »

"How about tobacco products?" he says with a sniff 2 years after quitting.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »

We should outlaw glass. . .for many reasons.  You can make all kinds of drugs in it, it's sharp, and you can smoke stuff out of it, it's drives the cost of recycling other materials up, and it's a poor insulator.

Just ban glass!. . .oh, and dirt, because you can grow weed in that.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »

oh, and dirt, because you can grow weed in that.

One of our city councilors tried that.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 02:22:23 pm »

One of our city councilors tried that.

Oh, Snap!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »

Oh, Snap!

And in keeping with that, if you need a light, you always know that Mayor Bartlett has one for you.

His cell phone...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:58:14 pm »

While I think they might be taking it a bit too far, I have seen studies that show that the caffeine/alcohol combo is somewhat dangerous. You're more likely to get dehydrated and the caffeine makes it more difficult to self-judge impairment, which causes several obvious issues. I don't really have a problem pouring a splash of Red Bull in my Jaeger whenever I'm feeling like drinking swill, so I find it difficult to get too worked up about it.

They'd best leave Irish coffee alone.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 06:15:12 pm »

"glass cylinders, open or closed at either end, not less than 2 inches or more than 7 inches in length and no more than ¾ of an inch in diameter."

Busted.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org