A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:50:33 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about state taxes  (Read 23156 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 09:40:33 am »

Still not sure what RWRE means..

Let me help you with that. RWRE are people that give way into 4-5 figures every year to clothe, feed, and shelter the poor, provide gifts to children for homeless and wounded vets, and to search for cures for devastating disease through charity.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 09:47:22 am »

Wouldn't it be a benefit to us no matter what taxes were cut at the state or lfederal level?  If said amount was not collected and then shipped to the state and federal bureacracies (where some of it gets siphoned off to pay for those bureacracies)... wouldnt that mean that Tulsa itself could pay for its own bureacracies here lol, and pick and choose what roads, schools, services, etc. IT wanted to pay for and do so how it wanted to? Keeping the taxes "in house" seems to be a better way to me so, state and feds, cut away to your hearts content, and let us locally tax and spend as we the people in each area choose to. Why should my money go to pay for jobs in OKC and Washington? Why should my money go to OKC only for me to have to wrangle it back and beg for funding for each and every project. Let all them danged little towns pay for their own roads/highways, colleges, schools, healthcare, etc. Let Tulsans vote on how they want to spend their own money.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:49:07 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:17 am »

Let all them danged little towns pay for their own roads/highways, colleges, schools, etc. 

That's not how to get re-elected Artist.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 10:11:53 am »

Still not sure what RWRE means but you are invoking Heironymous now. You're scaring me. Wink

I don't personally know any conservatives or Libertarians who begrudge someone seeking help from the gov't who truly needs it. I don't automatically assume someone on welfare, SSI, or U/E is gaming the system.

I had an ex sister in law who was scamming Sooner Care, but it made sure she got her crazy meds, so it was a benefit to all society as I saw it. Wink

I was always told it meant 'right wing republican elite', and I had seen it used pre AOX..err...Heironymus....in the same context.  Not all Republicans are created equal.

There are the 'Rabid Right', who think this country should be a Theocracy, there are the 'Tea Partiers', who are not much different.

Then the mainstream Republicans, what I like to call 'Reagan Republicans' because they aren't too kooky.  I'd like to think most of them fall along that line, but the problem now is that the previous two sects get more air time because of their antics.

Then of course what the Republicans like to call RINOs.  I can think of just one off the top of my head.  Olympia Snowe.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 10:15:41 am »

Let me help you with that. RWRE are people that give way into 4-5 figures every year to clothe, feed, and shelter the poor, provide gifts to children for homeless and wounded vets, and to search for cures for devastating disease through charity.

Wow.  You've completely lost the meaning of what I was trying to get at.

But so be it.  That's par for the course for you, Tony.  Someone tries to make a civil argument, you feel the need to parade out your perceived accompllishments in the charity sector, as well as making sure everyone remembers your service to this country.

We've heard it before.  Many times.  Some of us make mid 5 figures, and we're perfectly content with that.

I've also been President for my Company's sponsorship of MD.  Does that count?

I guess modesty isn't one of your strong suits, is it?

Roll Eyes

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 02:14:04 pm »

No, Guido, that ain't it or I would be one.

It is "Right Wing Religious Extremist" and the earliest usage I heard of it was back in the late sixties.  But they really didn't know what it was even then.  We have a new version today (and the last 30 years or so) with Rupert Murdoch, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and their ilk.  Includes people who put convicted felons (twice) on a pedestal and call them "great American heroes" - Hannity about Oliver North.

Did everyone hear the the Crystal Comic Book Cathedral filed for bankruptcy a few weeks ago?  I drove by there literally the day before they filed.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »

No, Guido, that ain't it or I would be one.

It is "Right Wing Religious Extremist" and the earliest usage I heard of it was back in the late sixties.  But they really didn't know what it was even then.  We have a new version today (and the last 30 years or so) with Rupert Murdoch, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and their ilk.  Includes people who put convicted felons (twice) on a pedestal and call them "great American heroes" - Hannity about Oliver North.

Did everyone hear the the Crystal Comic Book Cathedral filed for bankruptcy a few weeks ago?  I drove by there literally the day before they filed.

That is my understanding of what RWRE stands for.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

Under our tax codes only the working poor who receive a W2 or 1099 form pay the taxes.  Incorporate in a business and receive all the perks such as clothing, cars and the other things that the working poor are taxed on.  When the governing bodies have the power to set their salaries and perks with paper promise notes then you plant the seeds of rebellion as it is the nature of the species.  Inflation is friendly to increased tax collection but reduces the buying power of the working poor.  In house collecting and spending limits would be set because the city/state can not print its money.  Thus thousands of dollars are spent on sending persons to Washington to get some of that free money printed for local government to spend.  It is a  great system and is working for now. 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 05:56:06 pm »

Under our tax codes only the working poor who receive a W2 or 1099 form pay the taxes.  Incorporate in a business and receive all the perks such as clothing, cars and the other things that the working poor are taxed on.  When the governing bodies have the power to set their salaries and perks with paper promise notes then you plant the seeds of rebellion as it is the nature of the species.  Inflation is friendly to increased tax collection but reduces the buying power of the working poor.  In house collecting and spending limits would be set because the city/state can not print its money.  Thus thousands of dollars are spent on sending persons to Washington to get some of that free money printed for local government to spend.  It is a  great system and is working for now. 

Lithium, anyone?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »

Don't think lithium will be enough.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »

Don't think lithium will be enough.

Maybe the stitches are loose and in need of a tightening?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

As I recall, newspapers and periodicals are exempt from sales tax. I bought some greeting cards at Reasors tonight and not certain sales tax rang through on them. Anyone else know the extent of this exemption?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 10:17:13 pm »

As I recall, newspapers and periodicals are exempt from sales tax. I bought some greeting cards at Reasors tonight and not certain sales tax rang through on them. Anyone else know the extent of this exemption?

I recall the same, C.  Magazines are exempt, unless that's changed recently.  I wouldn't know, I subscribe to Time and the Smithsonian Magazine and really have no need to purchase one-offs.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 09:05:09 am »

Magazines, periodicals, newspapers...the whole 'freedom of speech' thing.  Don't tax free speech....

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 11:17:30 am »

Tax exemptions are a function of power.  What ever industry has the most power over politicians will reap the most exemption from government control and taxation.  This is as old as politics.

What industries are the most important to politicians:
1. Those that deliver the most votes through employment or membership.
2. Those with control over the message.
3. Those with moral authority.

There are ways to control this, but we don't have the guts.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org