A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:32 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Makeover' neighbors sue family, company  (Read 7585 times)
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:49 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20101117_11_A13_Teniho675060

The lawsuit, filed Monday by C. Edward Gaddy and Keith Abbe Gaddy, claims that when the Starkweather family's new home was built in the 1100 block of Indianapolis Avenue, the house's fence, retaining wall and air-conditioning units took up about four feet of the Gaddys' property.

The suit seeks damages between $10,000 and $75,000.

"According to the Gaddys' lawsuit, the production company left rocks and construction material on their property after the home was built. A swing set, chimenea, fire pit and fence also were broken during construction, the lawsuit claims. "

So the neighbors had a dispute during construction about the property line.  EMHE called the city out and they said it was where it was.  They got a "give us $40k or we will sue you" ransom letter from their lawyer a few months ago.  They should have called the police but some of the volunteers said that one of the Gaddy's threw a brick at towards them (I think after the city said they were good on the property line).

So... Fun

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:39:55 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=14&articleid=20101117_11_A13_Teniho675060

The lawsuit, filed Monday by C. Edward Gaddy and Keith Abbe Gaddy, claims that when the Starkweather family's new home was built in the 1100 block of Indianapolis Avenue, the house's fence, retaining wall and air-conditioning units took up about four feet of the Gaddys' property.

The suit seeks damages between $10,000 and $75,000.

"According to the Gaddys' lawsuit, the production company left rocks and construction material on their property after the home was built. A swing set, chimenea, fire pit and fence also were broken during construction, the lawsuit claims. "

So the neighbors had a dispute during construction about the property line.  EMHE called the city out and they said it was where it was.  They got a "give us $40k or we will sue you" ransom letter from their lawyer a few months ago.  They should have called the police but some of the volunteers said that one of the Gaddy's threw a brick at towards them (I think after the city said they were good on the property line).

So... Fun

I know you're related to the family being sued Trog...please pass along my good wishes and let us know how this plays out.  Sounds like not-so-nice neighbors to me.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:53:58 am »

Keep in mind, this is the house with the chicken coop in the front yard.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:00:07 am »

Keep in mind, this is the house with the chicken coop in the front yard.

yeah, sounds like that would explain a lot.  I'm now playing 'Cotton-Eye Joe' in my head.  Thanks a lot, Scott.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:09:04 am »

They are worried they are on the hook for the lawsuit given the releases that had to be signed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:15:35 am by Trogdor » Logged
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:01:32 pm »

Well a release and what really can happen if they are taken to court I would think are two separate things, a piece of paper vs. lots of bad publicity for the home makeover show for screwing up = settle
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:03:10 am »

Well a release and what really can happen if they are taken to court I would think are two separate things, a piece of paper vs. lots of bad publicity for the home makeover show for screwing up = settle

You're assuming the show screwed up and didn't have the site professionally surveyed... twice.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »

Did the producers pay for a professional survey?  FAIK, the city doesn't make determinations on property lines, it's a county issue to start with other than city utility right of ways.  County records can be used to show where previous surveys have shown the property lines are. But, I don't think the county assessor's office would make a declaration on a property line other than to say "this is where it was the last time surveyed" and would defer to a surveyor for a current opinion. 

Why these things would change over time is beyond me.  I'm not aware of the earth stretching.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:57:28 pm »

Did the producers pay for a professional survey?  FAIK, the city doesn't make determinations on property lines, it's a county issue to start with other than city utility right of ways.  County records can be used to show where previous surveys have shown the property lines are. But, I don't think the county assessor's office would make a declaration on a property line other than to say "this is where it was the last time surveyed" and would defer to a surveyor for a current opinion. 

Why these things would change over time is beyond me.  I'm not aware of the earth stretching.

Aren't markers still used to note the corners of the lots?  I know on mine they are.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:58:09 pm »

Wouldn't the permitting process catch this anyway?
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »

I think they are just hoping for a settlement and get their pay day.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26:20 pm »

Earth stretches continuously.  That's why we have an Atlantic Ocean.

If you have a marker in a neighborhood, it is very old.  When they plat neighborhoods, they usually don't leave anything that could be remotely permanent.  The developer usually puts a fence or something - usually somewhat vague.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org