A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:10:05 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Tag offices and State of Oklahoam Credit Card Fees  (Read 8647 times)
garzaglass
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:11 pm »

bottom line= they are not allowed to charge the fees so they need to stop. simple.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 02:35:45 pm »

bottom line= they are not allowed to charge the fees so they need to stop. simple.

We allow a "convenience" to be charged by certain educational institutions and public sector merchants, including:
-Elementary and secondary schools for tuition and related fees, and school-maintained room and board
-Colleges, universities, professional schools, and junior colleges for tuition and related fees, and school-maintained room and board
-Local, state, and federal courts of law that administer and process court fees, alimony, and child support payments
-Government entities that administer and process local, state, and federal fines
-Local, state, and federal entities that engage in financial administration and taxation
-Government Services; merchants that provide general support services for the government

Am I missing something?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 03:34:22 pm »

Am I missing something?

Probably the only reason I still have books of checks.  They are the only entity I write checks to anymore.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
garzaglass
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 04:24:51 pm »

yes you are missing something.  Mine is a Visa and they aren't supposed to be doing it.  I have called the OK Tax Commission and informed them how they are breaking their contract with Visa.  They are supposed to get back with me about it.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 04:29:52 pm »

according to the Visa website, not only are retailers not supposed to charge fees, but there is a law in oklahoma against it. 

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/operations/checkoutfees.html#10states
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »

yes you are missing something.  Mine is a Visa and they aren't supposed to be doing it.  I have called the OK Tax Commission and informed them how they are breaking their contract with Visa.  They are supposed to get back with me about it.

Gotcha.

Let us know if they do.  Don't let them mislead you though.  That one person you spoke with?   Most likely won't get back to you.

Expect to initiate follow up.

Good luck.
garzaglass
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 04:39:52 pm »

Oh don't worry I will.  Ive dealt with people like that before. 
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 04:45:26 pm »

Oh don't worry I will.  Ive dealt with people like that before.  

you might refer them to this section of the Oklahoma Credit code:

§14A-2-417.  Surcharge for use of credit card.
No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check or similar means.
Added by Laws 1977, c. 135, § 2, emerg. eff. June 3, 1977.

I could not find any exemptions for municipal or state offices.

That may even supersede the restrictions that MC has placed as referred to earlier in the thread.

EDIT:  I see Cust essentially pointed you guys in the direction of that statute, but I dug it out to see if I could find any exemptions.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:48:05 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 05:02:56 pm »

Very interesting, I had no idea there was a law against it...how would you even go about reporting the state of Oklahoma to the state of Oklahoma?!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »

you might refer them to this section of the Oklahoma Credit code:

§14A-2-417.  Surcharge for use of credit card.
No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check or similar means.
Added by Laws 1977, c. 135, § 2, emerg. eff. June 3, 1977.

I could not find any exemptions for municipal or state offices.

That may even supersede the restrictions that MC has placed as referred to earlier in the thread.

EDIT:  I see Cust essentially pointed you guys in the direction of that statute, but I dug it out to see if I could find any exemptions.

Unless, of course, the state makes the claim this is not a "sales transaction", but rather a "fee collection" and that's how they are getting around the law.

I questioned this when I bought my truck tag back in the summer.  They started to charge me a fee, and I said "hell no" and wrote them a check instead.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org