A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:38:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asahi at 105th & Memorial  (Read 28291 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 03:30:31 pm »

From the sounds of it, a bowl of smile.

Ah, the #23. . .My favorite.
たわごとボウル

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Osupikapp1
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:47 pm »

With Restaurants, a "soft opening" is considered opening with out advertising. 
Just opening the doors and letting the chips fall as they may. 
Where you see restaurants do "Grand Openings" typically several weeks after opening. 
This is to "get the kinks out".  While you don't want to be a guinie pig, if you know a place has just opened up you may want to wait a few weeks to enjoy their cooking.  So you dont get tested on, but then again at the begining most restaurants are more generous, and if your lucky they will offer up "new" items for you to try on the house.  I like trying out a place when it just opens, then if it isn't the best go back 2 months later and if it is bad again, then I will chalk it up to they suck. 
Got to give new restaurants a chance...
Erik
inteller
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 09:15:21 am »

This place has some bizarro decor.  I'm tired of over the top Japanese places.  I'm tired of all of these stupid concepts being foisted on South Tulsa so we get to pay the overhead for the chinzy look.  I like Asahi at 71st and mem but this one sucks.  the sushi was ok, but I got really pissed off when the whity white waitress didn't know the proper name for some of the sushi.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 11:41:44 am »

This place has some bizarro decor.  I'm tired of over the top Japanese places.  I'm tired of all of these stupid concepts being foisted on South Tulsa so we get to pay the overhead for the chinzy look.  I like Asahi at 71st and mem but this one sucks.  the sushi was ok, but I got really pissed off when the whity white waitress didn't know the proper name for some of the sushi.
Is there anything your not tired of?  I mean seriously, every time you post on here its all piss and vineger
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:50 am »

Is there anything your not tired of?  I mean seriously, every time you post on here its all piss and vineger

I bet he's a lousy tipper too.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
inteller
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 12:25:05 pm »

here is a tip, don't use ridiculously oversized chairs that actually hide your customers from you so you forget to bring them water or bring them their ticket.

From the way they were advertising months before this place was completed i think they are fairly underwater on this project.  the location is horrible to get in and out of too thanks to the shitty signalization job tulsa/bixby did.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »

here is a tip, don't use ridiculously oversized chairs that actually hide your customers from you so you forget to bring them water or bring them their ticket.

Did you take a look at my posts in this thread? I had to fetch my own water and to-go boxes myself at the bar. I am still seething a bit over my experience 5 days ago--I guess because I have to drive past that place nearly every day.

What's the over/under of the life span of this restaurant?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacks fan
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »

Did you take a look at my posts in this thread? I had to fetch my own water and to-go boxes myself at the bar. I am still seething a bit over my experience 5 days ago--I guess because I have to drive past that place nearly every day.

What's the over/under of the life span of this restaurant?

1 year + or - 3 months.
inteller
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 10:00:45 pm »

I would agree with that.

I blame these strip mall developers as much as the tenants.  They create these paper thin steel frame EIFS garbage with some shitty stacked stone and a low "prairie style" roof pitch..bullshit...just look it is everywhere south of 91st....then command retarded amounts of money for lease.  So the option most of these places have to opt for is go large and bring in high volume.  A huge japanese restaurant is the antithesis of Japanese.  I was really hoping this Asahi would mimic the smallish quaintness of the 71st st location, only with some newer digs.  This is just crap....but it is only going to get worse.  The frakking unoriginal copycat developer turds are simply shifting 71st sst 3 miles south and "updating" the look.  I recall when a certain frakking fuckhead sat in a neighborhood meeting and said he "wasn't going to bring in development like the rest of the trash along memorial" yet what is going up at 101st/memorial is a-frakking-NOTHER cell phone store...well actually not one but TWO.  Do people really do nothing but go to gas stations, banks, or cell phone stores?

I have to say, even though Remy Cos is a bag of crooks, the design concept of Regal Plaza is better than any of the smile going up right now.  I'm sure RP is built with poor quality considering the roof at the SPirit Bank Event Center is already leaking...but at least it was a try at something different.

You know what the best developments are along south of the creek on memorial?  The cow pastures and sod farms held on to by those "stubborn" land owners.  If I owned one of those adjacent fields I'd build a mock up of the EIFS prairie roof dreck using hay bales and cardboard and hang a big sign that said ME TOO.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:14:20 pm by inteller » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 11:14:49 pm »

I liked the scenery better when the only thing between about 55th and 111th along Memorial was a stop light and a Fina station about 71st, Sam's DX about 91st and I think there was a steak house (in a house) about 81st.  At least that's the way I remember it. Just woods and pastures along a 55 mph road that you could actually do 55 on.

inteller
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 09:11:17 am »

wow dude you are old.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 09:53:29 am »

Inteller, bravo awesome post above, I am really sick of these strip malls. I mean I can't really blame the developers they are doing what all business should do, trying to make money...

Regal was almost the nail on the head as to some sort of little change in South Tulsa from a strip mall, my opinion is that if a city(Bixby, Owasso, BA wants to get serious about growth they need to really think about some sort of community city project that would bring people and jobs to their cities and offer options like Utica Square does to just chill out and be able to walk around with your family... (like a mini utica square) with affordable small business space to help small business launch and grow into the rest of the community, lease rates are so high we have stopped looking around south Tulsa for our new office space and are looking at downtown again with the plethora of 1. actual aesthetic features of the place (non strip mall) and 2. availability of office/retail space and great prices.
inteller
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 09:59:24 am »

i think bixby needs to build a skyscraper and start marketing it as satellite offices for businesses downtown.  i think there is a huge opportunity to siphon off office space from downtown companies who are downtown just because.  it would be an alternative between going downtown to work and telecommuting.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 10:19:25 am »

Regal Plaza looks like a modern penal colony.  Just not that compelling.  It's an improvement over the EFIS dreck, but not by much.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
inteller
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:29 am »

it does several thing better.  first it hides parking to the inside.  second it provides front and back entrances to businesses creating a trusting environment for customers instead of the back against the wall mentality of strip malls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org